1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Elf "conversion"

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

does anyone know if there is a table of sorts out there which tells, per say, what years in an elven life are equivilant to human years in respect to development, at least physically. I.E. like when would an elf be developmentally the same as a 25 year old human or such.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Well, there are age ranges in the PHB that can be compared, and you can interpolate between them. I only have 2e, though:

Race ... Starting ... Middle ... Old ... Venerable ... Dead
    Human ... 16-19 ... 45 ... 60 ... 90 ... 92-130
    Elf ... 105-130 ... 175 ... 233 ... 350 ... 354-750

So 25 would be about 139 or 140 for a 2e elf, I think. Or, you could take the venerables as a straight conversion (4 to 1) and say 100, but really elves aren't considered adults until 110, so 140 would be a better comparison. Hope this helps. :)

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

3e age categories are:

ELF:

Adulthood: 110 (and add a few dozen years depending on class)
    Middle age: 175
    Old: 263
    Venerable: 350
    Max. Age: up to 750 years (avg. around 550)

HUMAN:

Adulthood:15 (and add a few years depending on class)
    Middle age: 35
    Old: 53
    Venerable: 70
    Max Age: up 110 years (avg. around 90)

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sorry if this is off topic but how and why does 3E come up with those figures for elves? No wonder Felinoid doesn't like 3E! :eek:

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

thank you, my limited AD+D knowledge would be a severe handicap in the RP world without you guys. *Sigh*, I have to stop being such a "dabbler".

6. Felinoid

@Nakia:
    Actually, if you compared the two posts you'd see that the elf numbers are the same (except for old, but that could be a typo or just a small change). Though, the human ages are definitely changed, and I was under the impression that elves aged much faster in 3e... :hmm:

@IS:
    Are you thinking of joining an RP here? :)

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Middle age = 175?? Their not even fully grown. :)
    old = 263. Tradionally elves are still in their prime even up unto 500.
    Venerable = 350. They've hardly begun to live. :lol:

Sorry but I find it funny and a joke. Now I know it's not my wee aged brain. 3e just doesn't make sense. Free, I am free!

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I guess the proper ages for elves depend on what version of a fictional race you consider canon.

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

it would be fun to RP here, I only know of one little gaming shop in my area where I can find other people who are into stuff like Warhammer, WH40K, AD+D and the like. My one college buddy who I relied on heavily for AD+D info just graduated too. I'm a bit of a closet case RPer.

But it'd be great fun to get "more" into this stuff, would just half to bare with the rather rare races I tend to pull up to RP, way to many Nephilim (half-celestial if I'm not mistaken), I've got a little brood with backstories all cooked up. Implausible relationships are another one of my trade marks...

Anyway, rambling aside, is the RPing done on line and how so?

well Implausible might not be right, improbable would be more appropriate as the actions fit with their back sotry and personality. Still some GMs aren't too happy with the way a certain Paladin of my reacts to evil characters, specifically a few certain evil characters that I've created that have found their way into her backstory.

[ January 29, 2006, 09:25: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

10. Felinoid

Check out the RP Corner. :) The forum is at the bottom of the list on the main board page. Post in the OoC first, though.

11. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

another question I'll throw out, what book(s) would deal with the aging process of rarer races? I've been able to find the age progression of the likes of Tieflings, Aasimar (these guys are lucky, they develop quick like humans and age slowly like elves) and other similarily semi-rare races, but the age progression of oh... say Nephilim or Cambion seem to be out of the realm of simple internet searches (and I unfortunately need the age progression for a Nephilim and a Yuan-Ti Pureblood). The lure of powerful exotic races are just to much to resist (unless of course they have level adjusts as bad as half-dragons who are too powerful and no fun to play as because they almost never advance in levels).

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Dunno, there was something mentioned in a NWN mod that an aasimar may live millenia...
    Anyway, how come elves are venerable around 350 since they can live more than 700 years (drow, who for obvious reasons don't make pilgrimages before they die, can reputedly live to over a thousand and still be healthy enough to stay alive in their environment). What would "venerable" mean, then?
    Also, in 2nd edition it was mentioned that older elves are generally much more nimble than "older" humans of the same general category, even taking the race's general agility into account. I.E., even when an elf begins to show some wrinkles and signs of obvious age, s/he will not have any problems adventuring - simply will be less foolhardy and more careful if doing so.

13. Felinoid

Actually, in 2e, Middle Age, Old, and Venerable ages came with stat modifications...

Middle Age: -1 Str/Con; +1 Int/Wis
    Old Age: -2 Str/Dex, -1 Con; +1 Wis
    Venerable: -1 Str/Dex/Con; +1 Int/Wis

These modifiers were cumulative, so if we take a default elven fighter...

*Age 105-174:
    STR 18/xx
    DEX 19
    CON 17
    INT 10
    WIS 10
    CHA 10

*Age 175-232:
    STR 17
    DEX 19
    CON 16
    INT 11
    WIS 11
    CHA 10

*Age 233-349:
    STR 15
    DEX 17
    CON 15
    INT 11
    WIS 12
    CHA 10

*Age 350+:
    STR 14
    DEX 16
    CON 14
    INT 12
    WIS 13
    CHA 10

Even if the stats were less optimized, the higher levels that he surely would have achieved in over two centuries of adventuring would stand him in good stead. Elves get the penalties like anyone else. :p

EDIT:
    :doh: Unless you use the rules from the Complete Book of Elves, which changes the stat modifiers...

Middle Age: -1 Str/Con; +1 Int/Wis
    Old Age: -1 Str/Con; +1 Wis
    Venerable: -2 Str/Dex/Con; +2 Int/Wis

On that schedule, the same (high) elf fighter at age 350 would be:
    STR 14
    DEX 17
    CON 13
    INT 13
    WIS 14
    CHA 10

Meanwhile, a venerable human's DEX would be 15 at the most; a two point difference when the original racial modifier is only one.

The Drow are actually the shortest-lived elven subrace, becoming venerable at 225 and feeling the pull before 525. Any elf PC can, of course, resist the pull at the DM's discretion, but that means that they give up going. AFAIK, they are effectively immortal until killed by regular means, but the book doesn't really go into it since you're kind of not supposed to.

The longest-lived elf subrace is the Grey Elves. They are venerable at 425 and some live to 925 years of age (1 in 10 billion chance).

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hmm, drow elves feeling the pull kind of doesn't make any sense... Otherwise, yes, I heard they are the most rapidly aging elven subrace, but in books they can still hit the millenium, and most matron mothers usually make it to around 500 iirc... Of course, they usually die from natural causes (daughters being the most natural one).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.