1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Easy Modules for kids

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Dice, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've decided to reinstall NWN and I've decided that my son is finally old enough to play it. (Just finished grade one and can read) I would like some help in finding some modules suitable for a young person - eg easy monster killing and easy puzzles. Got any ideas? BTW I have all the expansion packs and can download the Community pack as well if need be.

Thanks All

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't think there are any such modules... but you'd be surprised at how good kids are at games these days. The OC prologue might be enough to get your kid familiar with the mechanics of the game. Make him play as a warrior and NWN will be very easy with another warrior henchman along.

I'm just not sure if the content would be suitable for a kid of that age. I'd rather look into other games more targeted at kids. NWN would be ideal for teens and up.

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Thanks Tal. Actually if I control the content of what is in the game he's playing I don't see it as an unsuitable game for him. I've decided to make him a module myself with lots of easy monsters, keys, and kid friendly puzzles. Thank should solve the problem.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah, that would work... good luck!

5. dunniteowl Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello all, I, too am going to be tuteling my daughter on NWN. Of course, she is 13 and that is a big difference between a 5-6 year old. I have been designing modules on paper for a looooong time and the NWN toolset is a bit daunting at first. My point of view on the younger kids' modules are: Be sure to use low level characters and very simple tasks throughout several modules. I would also use very low XP gain in order to ensure that the child becomes confident in his or her ability to control the character.

An example: Let the child figure out how to get around and talk to others in a non-combat area. Show him/her how to carry on conversation(s) and how to make choices. ( I seriously doubt that the concept of Roleplaying a character will be a strong suite of any child that age, however, encouragement and explanation [remember, Tommy, your character is a Good Knight and does not attack everybody he sees... he asks questions and looks for the bad guys first...etc.] go a long way for any child.)

I have all my AD&D books including the original Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, Monster Manual II and the Monstrous Compendium, wherein are stored many low level creatures, etc.. I would first use things like goblins, kobolds, rats and 1st level NPCs (like brigands, rogues and spellcasters) and give the child the opportunity to get a handle on how best to conquer each type of creature. I know a lot of kids also want to be rogues (thieves) and magic users as well. These low level, low XP type setups would give them plenty of time to acclimate and get confident in the use of the interface before being put in situations where they will inevitably get "killed" by the dragon or lich, over and over again.

My experience in gaming in general and with monitoring kids playing video games since 1977 leads me to believe that at the 1st grade, your child will be quite content for a while just to be able to move around and talk; with the occasional battle in place to make things more exciting. Of course, you know your child better than anyone on these boards, so your observations will be the most relevant. Just make sure that they are also as objective as they can be.

I had to "trick" my daughter at 3. I had a multi-strip outlet under the desk upon which the computer sat. While shutting off the computer with my finger on the box switch, I would use my toe (hidden from view) and shut off the power to the strip. This worked for almost a year. It was required so that I didn't have to reformat my hard drive (again) after she pretended to be on the computer like daddy. Good luck!

6. The Gatekeeper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Man I wish nwn was around when i was a kid, i probably would have been better off playing it than doom o.O

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.