1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dwarf F/C vs. Half-Elf C/R

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Klorox, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm trying to decide which is better from a powergaming point of view:

The Dwarf Fighter/Cleric gets:

Better saving throws
    More Hit Points
    -1 AC
    Slightly faster level-ups

The Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger gets:

Charm animal ability
    Stealth
    Racial Enemy
    Limited access to Druid spell

Any input is welcome. I'm looking for a character that can step up and be a tank if needed, but who will primarily be a spellcaster. The rest of my party looks like this: Pal, F/D, F/Ill, F/M/T, Bard.

TIA

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't notice my R/C failing very many saving throws.
    The F/C will only have 4½ hit points more than the R/C.
    -1 AC? Lower dex means +1 AC.
    I haven't used charm animal yet in the games.
    Stealth only works with light armor (not good for a tank).
    +4 to hit is always good.
    The ranger/cleric will gain access to all druid spells (but you already have a druid).

With the above, I think it's a wash. However, the ranger/cleric will also get one additional attack per round when using a one-handed weapon and no shield. This was the IWD variation of dual welding. This adds versatility to the character as they can use a shield against some opponents and hit more often versus others. Advantage R/C.

Is your F/D a dual or multi? The first time I played, mine was dual -- very good character. Looking at your party, you could even consider a straight fighter instead of another divine caster. A dwarven fighter with 19 con and *****'s in a weapon (like axe) is a real powergaming character -- hit's hard and often. Add in a throwing axe and you've got a tank that does a tremendous amount of damage at a distance and up close.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  3. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

The manual says that the ranger only gets this benefit when he wields a sword. Is this also true for the blunt weapons that a R/C is limited to?

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It should work with any one handed weapon and no shield. I lose an attack when my R/C has a shield versus just welding a mace.

I have heard there may be a requirement for another one-handed weapon to be in a weapon slot -- but the attack is with the weapon in hand and so I do not believe a second weapon is required.

Oh yes, to clarify something ... the R/C does not gain druid spells until achieving 6th level in Ranger (at least with HoW installed). Once the ranger side can cast spell (at 6th level with HoW), the game engine opens all druid spells to the character up to the level of spells allowed by the cleric level obtained.

5. Thrasher91604

Can you see this extra attack in the character sheet, or are you inferring this in the combat messages? I'll try it out tonight :)

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Rangers get the extra APR with any melee weapon (even 2-handed swords) if they don't wear a shield (I tested it.).

For powergaming in HOF mode the R/C is far superior because of some powerful druid spells, not because of the extra attack.
    Later you might even prefer to wear a shield with the R/C, for the role of the party healer it's far more important to survive to be able to raise the dead party members than to increase the party damage output by a few percent.

7. T2Bruno

Media:
    True, but he already has a F/D. If only one divine spell caster was taken, then definately the R/C has the advantage. But if, as in this case, a F/D will be taken, how much do you really gain by having more druid spells available? The decision between F/C and R/C would be decided by other criteria.

Works with 2-handed weapons? Alas, Staff of the Ram is not in IWD.

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

Druids are no buffers, they mainly have offensive spells.
    2 entangles or 2 lightnings are more efficient than one.

9. Thrasher91604

From a powergaming point of view I think the R/C is better than the F/C. The additional druid spells and spells per level seem more powerful. Plus the R/C can sneak and is an excellant scout.

That allows your thief to concentrate on other skills such as open locks and find traps, especially with a Bard to do the pickpocketing.

One bad thing is that a R/C can't use bladed/pointed weapons, so he can't damage enemies immune to blunt weapons...

10. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Except that there are no enemies immune to blunt weapons. And there are several blunt weapons truly wonderful in the game.
    I agree that if you have a fighter/druid in the game a ranger/cleric is a bit too much. A dwarven fighter/cleric could be a better choice. Or if you want you can take a human fighter up to level 9 and then dual class him/her to a cleric. You shouldn't worry about healing since you already have a fighter/druid in the team.
    Another choice could be using an gnome Cleric/Illusionist and replace the fighter/Illusionist with something else, like a ranger or a dwarf fighter.

11. Thrasher91604

As well as the scouting advantage of a Ranger, I have found having some extra entangles being a real life saver.

12. Redrake Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

He's using a fighter/druid from the start. No need for a ranger to get entangle. But in my parties rangers are almost always a character to be taken. There are some good 2-handed swords and spears in the game and it would be a real waste not to use them.

13. Thrasher91604

Somtimes my fighter druid runs out of entangles, and an extra one from th ranger cleric comes in VERY handy.

14. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I hate to revive this thread, but I thought a Dwarf could get 19 con, giving him an extra HP/level. How do you figure only 4.5 hit points? He'd only get one HP at level one, but by level 6 he'd have 6 more HP than then half-elf. By level 12, he'd have 12 more HP.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  15. T2Bruno

Media:
    First of all the advantages of constitution stop at level nine. Second, the hit points for a multiclassed character are calculated by determining the amount of hit points gained for a specific level and dividing that by the number of classes. However, you are correct for a single classed dwarven fighter -- but we were talking about a fighter/cleric.

When a dwarven fighter/cleric with a 19 con gains a cleric level, only a max of 5 hit points will be gained (8 for class + 2 for con divided by 2) -- which is the exact same for the half-elf ranger/cleric with an 18 con. When a fighter level is gained, only a max of 7.5 hit points are gained for the dwarf -- (10+5)/2. For the ranger, only a max of 7 points are gained -- (10+4)/2.

The fighter/cleric (with 19 con) will only get one-half point more per level than the ranger/cleric (with 18 con). Only nine levels = 4.5 hit points more on average.

16. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

That's wrong. In the IE games multiclass warriors get the warrior con bonus for the other classes too, so the difference between 18 and 19 con are 9 hitpoints at level 9.
    There's also a slight HP advantage for the F/C compared to the R/C since fighters level a little faster.

17. T2Bruno

Media:
    kmonster: Not in my experience. My multiclassed characters have always followed the 2nd Ed rules when it comes to hit points.

18. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

AFAIK the 2e HP rules are that the roll is divided by the number of classes (rounding down) and then half of the CON bonus is added in. If the CON bonus is uneven, add the extra point in the warrior level.

19. kmonster Gems: 24/31

Veteran

I'm quite sure about what I wrote. It's very easy to test, just create a level 1 fighter/cleric with 18 con. He'll have 13 hitpoints.

20. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The cleric level only gives you 2 bonus HP. So a 16 con would be enough to max out possible hp for the cleric class. You get some extra ones for the fighter levels though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.