1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DVD Burner Trouble

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, May 2, 2006.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Howdy techy-types. Me gots'a problem of sorts.

About a year ago, I bought a nice new NEC dual-layer DVD burner. Installed like a dream, and copies movies flawlessly through a program I use called DVD Decrypter (after making an image file with a program called DVD Shrink). In that capacity, works just great. Most DVD's take about 4 minutes to burn.

However, backing up movies was only a tertiary concern.

I also got it for backup purposes. In my line of work I create large files on a regular basis. Especially now that I'm creating extra projects for school, this is more true than usual. I bought the burner so I could start archiving my work to DVD's.

The problem is, whenever I put a blank disc in the drive, I get an error message saying:

:E/ is not accessible. Incorrect function.

To which I reply, "Huh?" How is using a DVD burner to burn data onto a blank DVD an incorrect function? I used to think it was because I was using the wrong type of disc. But I get the same error whether I insert a blank +R, -R, or dual-layer disc. I also have a copy of Alcohol 120%, and I get the same error.

HOWEVER, like I said, I know the drive works because I never have problems burning discs when I go through either of my movie ripping programs.

I'm pretty PC savvy, but this one has me stumped. And every person I know who's smarter than I in this regard has been completely baffled as well.

I can't return it to the retailer and ask them to fix it, because I got it from NewEgg almost a year ago and my "satisfaction period" expired quite a while ago. Also, any queries to NEC's customer service have been fruitless, and their website is about as user friendly as an unpaid hooker.

So any help or hints anyone can provide would be extra helpful. This is especially urgent, as I'm getting ready to graduate, my hard drive is getting old, and I'd hate to have to make 12 CD's just to archive a single quarter's worth of work. Thanks in advance.

First person who responds gets a one-of-a-kind PM from me telling them how much cooler they are than the second person who responds. :beer:

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Does this only happen when you put a blank DVD in? I mean, if you put in a movie, does it play, or do you get the same error?

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I had similar problem while ago, the solution for me was to go to windows explorer and right click on the dvd driver (this case is E: right?) then in properties, then in recording, I think there's a check box where you have to 'allow' recording in this driver. That was it for me, it worked, the problem was that Nero or the software from my MP3 player changed that.

Here's another solution from Micro$oft.

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    First off, I'd just like to say how embarrassingly stupid I am for never thinking to attempt what Sydax just suggested. It's kind of a "to pour piss out of a boot, consult the instructions on the heal" kind of situation. :hahaerr:

So, so far - thank you! That seemed to work, sort of.

Now, whenever the drive is open, I get the friendly "Burn these files to CD" icon and link at the top of the menu on the left hand side, just as I do when I use my CD burner. However, now when I close the drive, that icon disappears and it tells me the disc has "Free Space: 0 bytes. Used space: 0 bytes." And just above that, it's labeling it as "CD Drive (E:)." So I guess my hardware configuration is telling the machine now that it's a CD burner, not a DVD (when technically it's both). EDIT: I just noticed that when the tray is open, it says "DVD-RW Drive (E:)." Soon as I close it, back to "CD Drive (E:)" again.

Any idea what to do next?

By the way - the microsoft solution from your link doesn't really apply because I've never had either of those programs installed, so I can't imagine that's the cause of the problem. And the drive was acting this way before I got Alcohol 120%, so doubt it's that either.

@ Ballrock

Yes, I play movies on it regularly. I can also read previously burned data DVD's just fine.

[ May 02, 2006, 13:13: Message edited by: Death Rabbit ]

5. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

If what Sydax told you didn't fix the problem, I don't know what will. I have had several drives quit working on me and have gotten similar error messages becasue of that, so I thought that might be the issue.

Sorry I can't help more. I played with some settings to see if I could reproduce the error, but I can't.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How exactly are you trying to back up your software?

For example on my machine (which is Win98 so may be inapplicable to all you new fangled peeps :) ), either I use the Nero Burning ROM that came with my DVD to burn images or music compilations onto DVDs/CDs, or I use Nero InCD and format the media so that I can use the DVD like a floppy drive. I know that Nero also has some backup software, but I haven't used it.

So, if you're trying to use InCD, once you put blank media in the drive, you need to format it before you can use it to store data on it.

EDIT
    Oh, one additional thing, the Nero software that came bundled with the drives I have seems to only allow the support of one drive, so when I added the DVD and installed the software, my CD drive was no longer supported by the software, so I can only use my DVD drive via the bundled Nero software now. Don't know if it could be something like that with you...

7. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I'm basically trying to go through the Windows copy wizard. I'm trying to back up large Photoshop docs, illustrator files, InDesign files, etc. Not necessarily programs, but that'd be nice.

My machine is Windows XP, and I installed the drive AFTER I downloaded service pack 2 (it was suggested by a friend that that might be the problem).

If installing Nero Burning Rom would fix the problem, then great - but my drive was purchased open box, so it didn't come with anything.

Edit: The device is a NEC ND-3500AG, if anyone wants to know.

8. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The NEC ND-3500 is one of the best burners, so the hardware itself shouldn't be the problem. Make sure you've got the most recent version of the firmware though, even if that's not the cause of the problem (it always helps to be up to date with these things)

The Windows copy wizard is not very good (read: it's rubbish), as it can work like a charm or not work at all, and it's very hard to tell why. I'm not sure this is the source of the problem, but I can't think of anything else that could go wrong (SP2 before or after shouldn't make any difference really). Nero works well, so you might want to grab a trial version and see if this fixes the problem).

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    I think you're right, Ziad - maybe Windows copy wizard is just crapola.

I figured out the reason I couldn't use Alcohol 120% is because it's a COPY program, and you can't use it to create a data CD from scratch (at least, I don't think).

I downloaded a trial copy of Nero 7 Ultra, and the trial lasts a month. I'm burning a DVD right now, so it seems to have done the trick. However, once the trial period is over, I don't want to shell out $80 for the program.

I found an OEM version of Nero Suite 6 online for $5. Would that do the trick? What versions do you guys have? Better yet - anybody wanna be hook a brutha up and tell me where I can get a free version? Not that I can't affort $5 or anything, but...hey free is always nicer. :D

10. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Stop being a scrooge and fork out the $5 :shake:

Seriously, at this price it's worth it. I personally still use Nero 6, and got it the same way you did - cheap OEM version. I dislike version 7 for some reason (can't quite tell why), so this is really an excellent deal you've got.

11. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Coolness - thanks everyone, problem solved. All my work is backed up to multiple archive discs, and now I feel all safe and snuggly. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.