1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dutch Taxes Are High!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I recently saw an article (can't seem to re-find it now to post it) that mentioned the highest federal income tax bracket in the Neatherlands is 52%! Is that right? By way of comparison, in the U.S. the higest tax bracket (by all people making in excess of $311,000) is 35%. As an aside, I wonder why it's $311,000 - that is just too random of a number for it to be arbitrary - there has to be some reason for this.

Also, I'm wondering what the federal max taxes are like in other countries, so if you know, post your country's as well.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Tax up to 49.99% is well, tax. Extortionately high, but tax. But above 50% it's more like institutionalised ransom taking.

BTW, tax rates in Poland are:

up to $10.5K (per annum) - 19%
    $10.5K (per annum) - 30% of base exceeding $10.5K
    $21K (per annum) and more - 45% of base exceeding $21.K

This way, if you have a monthly salary of $2000, the state takes almost half of it in income tax alone. :rolleyes:

There's a 50% rate for the very richest this year, but it won't last.

[ December 01, 2004, 21:15: Message edited by: chevalier ]

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In Canada, tax rates depend on what province you live in and what kind of income is being taxed. According to a book I received just yesterday, for most provinces the top rate is for income over $115,000 and ranges from 39% in Alberta to 48.6% in Nefoundland; Manitoba's top rate is 46.4%, which is pretty typical.

JSBB will probably be along eventually to correct me on this. :D

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I found the site again:

Tax Brackets in U.S.

As it turns out the highest tax bracket is for people making in excess of $311,951 - which seems so arbitrary that there has to be a reason for this.

Actually, it just dawned on me why taxes are higher in Canada and many European countries - you have socialized medicine. Sure, it's nice to not have to worry about health care, but that comes at a price in the form of higher taxes.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It was probably a round number at one time, and got indexed for inflation; when doing so, they didn't bother rounding off again.

6. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Heh, actually in the US a company can get taxed multiple times on income. The reason for this is because the government will only tax a certain amount of money at x% then tax the same amount at the same percent until they run out of income for said company.

I'm seriously glad that I'm not Bill Gates.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  7. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well duh, why do you think most rich dutch people move to either Belgium or Monaco. You wouldn't believe what kind of taxes we have to pay here. You can't even give some money to your children without paying tax.

Of course we do get some benefits from all taxes (although lately it's been getting less and less) like retirement funds and such.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I don't understand. If this is true:

then wouldn't your tax be 19% of $2000, or $380?

I was discussing this with a co-worker who informed me that Norway also has exceptionally high taxes - something like 90% for the richest of the rich.

9. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Aldeth, I think he either missed a number out, or meant a monthly salary.
    Does anyone else get "National Insurance" on top of income tax? It's basically another tax taken out of your pay-packet.

err... looking at the inland revenue site, I haven't a clue what they're talking about. Two year ago it was reasonable straight forward. It makes very little sense now though.

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Yep, our taxes are that high, and they'll get even higher in the future if we don't get rid of our current government. I propose a revolution...who's with me ? :D

Ever heard of pleasure tax ? The name alone gives me the creeps. It's for people who own a boat. A small yacht, a speedboat, whatever... as long as it's docked, you're free of charge, but as soon as you set sail, the taxmeter starts running, and they chose to call it pleasure tax. :rolleyes:

Another one they recently came up with is snacktax. They want to increase taxes on fatty foods, so that people think twice before buying junkfood. They say it's in the people's own interrest, it prevents them from becoming too fat, but we all know people will aways keep eating junkfood, so they came up with yet another way to rob us legally.

I swear to god...one of these days we'll be taxed for the number of times per year we have sex with our own wifes.

11. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

If you guys were having enough sex with your own wives, you wouldn't have to import so many foreign workers now, would you? Declining European populations anyone?

So, while a tax on you having sex with your wife might not make sense, a tax on using contraceptives while having sex with your wife just might work. *That* tax might make some people very happy...

:pope:

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31

You're drifting from the issue here, who says we don't have enough sex with our own wives ? And we're not importing anything, they come here uninvited.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.