1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dutch deportations

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, Feb 20, 2004.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Dutch deportations

I haven't heard anything about this in the mainstream U.S. news. I'm assuming that this must be big news in Europe.

If the Dutch manage to pull this off I will be amazed.

I was reading from a different site (that I don't remember) that one of the complaints the Dutch had was that the immigrants wouldn't adopt Dutch culture and were trying to turn the Netherlands into their own country. I know that this is a concern that a lot of our southern states have also (California and Texas come to mind).

2. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I thinkt that if the Dutch government decides through their legal system that the people are not refugees and they are simply illegal immigrants then they should and have every right to deport them. I am sick to death of people running off to a country they perceive as richer and immediately claim that they are refugees. If they were really so poor then how the hell did they get thousands of dollars to travel to Europe or further? If it's legal, then "het is goed".

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yes, yes, getting good relations with our North-African neighbours is key. Without their co-operation, the migration question can't be solved.

Why do you think they won't pull it through ? The whole situation is ripe for change. For better or worse, but I think a remodelling of European immigration policies is imminent. As long as asylum and immigration get mixed together in a not so factual correct, yet emotions rising way (illegal-asylum-seeker-abuser-criminal-drug-dealer-welfare-swallowing-unemployed-dork). A consequnce of the blunders of a broadly general European policy of importing cheap labour (crying and calling for cheap labour, actually) in the 60s, 70s and 80s which in the 90s suddenly showed it's messy downside with tons of unskilled workers and their similarly unskilled kids not needed anymore by a stagnating economy, starting to get a drain on the economy and showing to have a social explosive potential, as states usually negleceted to provide the means to integrate them, leading to ghetto like circumstances in many places. A situation which defintley isn't helped by the fact, that mainly analphabets from rural rather backward areas where encouraged to come while good educated, good trained people from the corresponding urban area were turned down, which would prove to be a benefical mix-in which would ease integration for the whole group.

This in the end, makes the lowest part in the food-chain, the asylum seekers, easy pray. Even more so, as long as their is no transparent and general accepted remodification of immigration policies. Main point would be in my view, letting more good educated people immigrate and not only people which are needed for cleaning public toilets. But I think until this will be in place, it's going to take some time. In the end, adopt similar systems like most of the anglo-saxon countries have, which are quite picky.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As the banner on the picture sais: 5 years tolerating = accepting.

We (rather: Our government) should speed up in deciding wether a refugee could stay or must leave. You can't just welcome people and send them away with nothing when they finally settled themselves.

It's sad for people who have been told from the start that they will have to leave the Netherlands when things have turned to normal in their own country. But some have taken kids with them. I've spoken to some of these kids. They are complete Dutchies in every way imaginable. They don't even speak their parents language, have friends here and good results at school.
    Then suddenly they have to leave and try to find a way to get a living in a country they've only heard of, where their young girls are either raped or 'sown tight' in ritual matters, where they don't speak the language, and are considered traiters for leaving the country.

That's silly. People who can stay here, first had to pay an amount of about 50 euros to get a 'license' (whatever the word is in english) to get a legal job or go to school etc. Now that amount is about to be raised to about 425 euros, as I've heard of. So a father with a wife and 2 kids would have to pay about 1700 euros. Where will they get the money from? Illegal work and crime. And now they're blaming these people for the crime and job-loss? Something's terribly wrong.

5. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The majority (read: all) of the European nations have very strict immigration laws. Much moreso than say, the States or Australia. It has to be that way, or you'd have tides of people hunting the strongest Franc or Mark or Royal.

It'll be a number of years before they're welcome in America again. A very bad position to be in.

However, if you just let people escape the oppression of their original country, that country is never pushed to the brink of civil war, and improvement from within. All the democracies in the world hate wars, so like I said.

It's really a bad position to be in. For everyone. Catch-22.

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I am not sure about that. Or let's say, hearsay I'm exposed to holds a different view. American and Australian asylum policies are cited by our SVP (right-wing) as shining examples on how to deal with the "asylum-problem". And the Americans, as far as I know, have stricter restriction on immigration as Switzerland. That's propably the reason, why those Mexicans are illegal and not legal. Even there, getting similar picky as Australians and Americans seems to be the legislation goal, (with my approval) even though we are known to be quite strict in our immigration policies in the European context, I think.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The problem for Europe is to diversify between refugees and immigrants. Many, very many, people who come to European countries seeking asylum as refugees are immigrants. The rules for immigration I think are similar in most of the western world but what to do when you have a bunch of people maskerading as refugees? Who you pick them out among those who truly are refugees? I dont think countries in North America or Australia and New Zeeland has this problem to the same extent simply because there are big frigging oceans between them and most places of unrest on this planet. The US has Cuba of course but to my limited knowledge refugees from Cuba are treated pretty much the same as immigrant from Mexico?

8. Pac man Gems: 25/31

This is a very delicate situation, but i'd say if they are here for such a long time, then by all means let them stay. What they REALLY need to look into more carefully is the neverending stream of asylumseekers. People who are on the run for their own government can't be left in the cold, and need all the help they can get, but the majority of what's coming in at the moment can best be described as golddiggers, and THAT'S something we don't need overhere.

I also don't understand the current discussion wheter we should "import" somewhat 20.000 Polish workers for the jobs that apparently noone wants. Why get more foreigners if you have thousands and thousands of HEALTHY people living on welfare ?

9. Blue Loon Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I believe if a Cuban makes it to shore they are free, if they are picked-up by the Coast Guard they are returned home. The US does get refugees from other countries. I think we flew many Bosnians(?) here after the conflict there.

10. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are two things that I can't stand. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures...and the Dutch.

Sorry.

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    What did I do?

Personally, I've got some friends who are about to be send back to Iran, while the government there will have them shot, and those pricks of the CDA are teaching us about norms and values, feh..

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31

@ Death Rabbit

Any particular reason for that ?

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sorry - I was quoting Austin Powers: Goldmember. His father says he deplores intolerance, and immediately proceeds to be intolerant by deploring an entire culture. Ya dig? (read my post again...you'll get it)

Just being a smartass.

14. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Ah..okay, i remember that now, although i didn't watch the entire movie. When i watch a comedy, i want to able to actually laugh from time to time. :D

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Back on track with the original topic please.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.