1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

D'oh

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Silverblade, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Silverblade Guest

D'oh, this legendary word has been spoken by Homer Simpson many times. The word d'oh has been excepted in the Oxford English Dictionary. According to the dictionary, the word d'oh means: "a word of frusration when things go bad or not like you intended". They only made a huge error, they spelled it doh instead of d'oh.

I tought you might liked to know because I saw that there are lots of Homer Simpson fans in that article about "Who is your favourite cartoon character"

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited July 11, 2001).]

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

And who said that we are dumbing down the English dictionary!

Pretty soon Ebonics and such will be so accepted that we will not be able to carry on a simple conversation w/o sticking a fish in our ear to translate (a reference only Douglas Adams fans will appreciate).

My Opinion: D'oh! It Ain't gonna get no worse dan DIS!

Mathetais Spellstrong, PHD, English

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've never understood why some people put an apostrophe in "DOH!"... Can someone explain the reason for it?

4. ClammyRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yeah, That would suck if they added every aspect of modern English and pop culture to the dictionary.
    This is a proper english term.
    "Hey, What are you doing with my girlfriend?
    "What's yours is now mine."
    "What are you saying?"
    "(Trips over rock.) Ouch!

Now slang style.

"Damn, foo!what you doin wit my ho?"
    "All your base are belong to us."
    "What you say?"
    "(Trips over rock.) D'oh!
    See? While slang is more fun, It's harder to understand.

I dunno, I guess the only way to know is to ask Mr. Greoning.

[This message has been edited by ClammyRyu (edited July 11, 2001).]

5. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Because thats how "D'oh" is spelled. :p

6. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

BTA, maybe the word is actually derived from:

Duh oh! Thus the contraction, D'oh! :D

7. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I do believe the word originated as an acronym to the french term d'accord, which in literal translation means -'ok'. D'oh is the opposite of d'accord and hence the apostrophe in the word. ;)

Anyone want to buy a bridge? - low, low prices :)

8. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Moeken - I do believe it is actually ancient high phoenician. D'oh was a literal translation of the phrase: "Wow, I really can't believe I just did that incredibly stupid thing!" :p :D :D :D :D :p

How much was that bridge? Did you build it yourself? ;)

9. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

This is too funny.

I can't beleive there is actual topic about the word D'oh or DOH, whichever the case may be!

But, I got a good laugh out of it I did.

10. ClammyRyu Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'll buy it from you...
    Of course I'll pay you in commons... ;)

11. Silverblade Guest

Satiana, the topic isn't about is it DOH or is it D'oh, because the right spelling is D'oh like it was spelled in that episode from which I can't remember the name (it was something Spanish IIRC).

12. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

D'oh is one of those words that sometimes people starts using...and so even dictionary needs to upgrade their terms....
    But D'oh is more than a word to the real Homer fans...it's a feeling ;)
    That's my opinion

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.