1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you believe that ghosts exist?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by D171087, May 16, 2006.

1. D171087 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] in my country,, the people really2 scare and trust that ghost is exist,, (so do i)
    so now,, i want to know if u believe it or not,, and if u believe it, tell me why !
    and if u had an experience about it, tell me !!
    tq,,

[ May 16, 2006, 19:46: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    One word answer: No!

3. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

No; but when I am told a lot of ghost stories, I see curtains like ghosts and something else like it :)

4. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    No, but what is interesting that some of the phenomenons known as ghosts or supernatural forces can be explained by certain frequencies of electromagnetic radiation, especially with some of the temporal lobe epileptics and electrically over-sensitive people.

This does not exclude the existence of supernatural forces, it merely shows that these events coincide with unusual electromagnetic activity, such as created by sunspots, powerlines, and possibly household appliances.

They're doing research on this in Canada, if I remember correctly and more about temporal lobe epileptics in Ramachandran's book "Phantoms in the Brain" (haven't read it, but I think I will).

Also sounds right on the edge of hearing and therefore just beyond conscious thinking and recognition might have the effect of creating a supernatural feeling, neck hairs rising, goosebumps and et cetera.

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
  6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

I believe it's possible, though I've never had any experience with one.

7. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I don't believe in ghosts, but I won't say they don't exist.

I suppose they could some sort of bizzare neuro-phenomena.

8. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I have all the psychic receptiveness of a rock. A number of people have proclaimed to have had eerie feelings in a number of places believed to be haunted or at least where suicides/murders have taken place. I've never felt anything myself.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Okay, I'll be the one you can stone for her beliefs. Remember, the following are my experience and perceptions.

Ghosts do exist, yes.

Encounters - Numerous. I have my stillborn, older brother who hangs on my aura constantly. He enjoys hiding my jewelry, moving my gum around and exuding smells I adore.

My maternal grandfather resides with my parents. I have seen and heard him walk the second floor stairs for over 20 years.

The first house I lived in on my own, I saw a child wearing shorts with braces (lederhosen perhaps?) and a white collared shirt standing at the foot of the steps going upstairs. The other spirit is very evil feeling and dresses in darkness, hiding his face with hoods of cloaks. These 2 I've witness several times.

There is a spirit of some kind in my in-laws home. I sense he is male. He likes to play with the washer lid and deep freezer in the basement. He also rushes me from his hiding place in my bedroom closet each night before I fall asleep. Scaring me is all he can do since his first (and only attempt) at possessing me was unsuccessful. I and my guardian brother fought him off together.

May the bashing begin! :lol: ;) :pope:

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No. I have no evidence that ghosts exist and I can't see how they possibly could. Having said that, I still love ghost stories.

The best theory I ever heard about ghosts was that the human mind had eerie undiscovered powers and that ghosts were manifestations of something from a living person's mind. In other words, rather than the dead person hanging around with unresolved issues, it would be the living person who had the unresolved issues with the dead person. Not sure if I explained that properly, but I don't want to think about it too much, in case my mind starts believing in ghosts enough for me to see one, because then I'd be freaked out.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  12. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Meh...Ghosts are something I've never had experiences with as far as I remember...I mean I remember seeing ghosts, but whether it was a dream, or I was awake at the time I don't remember. This sits with my view on religion...if they exist thats great, but right now, I don't mind either way :)

Guess I'm open to anything really...

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Of course they don't. What rubbish!

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Stop sitting on the fence, Barmy. Take a stand one way or the other! :)

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, I've never seen, felt, smelt, or perceived a ghost.

16. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I choose to believe they don't.

17. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Short Answer: No
    Long Answer: Hell no!

18. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

no, not at all.

and i dont believe in Tarot Cards and all of that BS

19. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Are we talking about the existance of ghosts in an ontological sense or in a causal sense?

I.E. St. Elmo's Fire does exist, but not in the ontological sense that sailors once believed it existed. Hence St. Elmo's Fire exists on a causal level (that is it can be reduced to scientific phenomena), but not on an ontological level (it doesn't exist to us in the way it existed on a supernatural level to 15th century sailors).

[ May 17, 2006, 03:27: Message edited by: Ilmater's Suffering ]

20. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No.

But then again…

On the street where I grew up, there was a widow who lived next to us – call her “Mrs. X”. Nice lady, but kept to herself.

Anyway, I moved away from home into an apartment, and never gave Mrs. X another thought. One night, I dreamt that I was walking down the front street of our old home, and Mrs. X was standing on her front lawn, looking at me intently. Nothing threatening, but just watching.

Well, on the scale of 1 to 10 of strange dreams, this was a minus 8, so I didn’t really think much about it. Until a couple of days later (real life, not dreaming), when I was talking to my mother, who informed me that she had some sad news – Mrs. X had passed away a few days ago. :mommy:

I’m getting chills running down my spine as I type this, even though it happened over 20 years ago. I know for a fact that I didn’t just happen to read an obituary – I don’t read obits, and if I had seen something about this, it would have registered.

So do I believe in ghosts? No. But…

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.