1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do I install these altogether?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Base the Bass, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Base the Bass Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well,sorry for this lame question,but I just got SOA,TOB and Darkest Day 1.0.3
    Do I first play SOA until the end and then install ToB ,play it until the end and then install Darkest Day?
    Or do I install them all together?
    I mean,won't TOB or Darkest Day scratch the original plot of SOA?or are they completely different things?I don't know,I'm confused.

[ January 22, 2006, 14:04: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

I know that you can install SoA & Tob together..but I dont know of Dakest Day!! (Sorry)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  3. Ziggyveld Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Base the Bass -

It seems to me as if you think ToB is some kind of mod to SoA - Throne of Bhaal is actually an expansion, meaning it expands the actual game.

It will *not* screw anything up if you install it after Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. In fact, it will add rather nifty functionalities to your game, *and* allow you to enter the superb Watcher's Keep dungeon from SoA's main map (although you can also enter it from ToB's main map, which is unfortunately not the same as SoA's.)

The only thing is that when in the main menu, you get the choice to start a game in either stories - Throne of Bhaal is sort of the sequel in terms of plotline, level advancement and ending. You will, however, retain the ability to play on SoA and import your character on the new ToB platform whenever you wish (or it will be done automatically whenever you finish SoA).

The Darkest Day, however, is another matter. It is a Mod, meaning a Modification to the original game, adding more quests, items, enhancements, etc. It should be installed *after* both Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and the Throne of Bhaal expansion as well as the official BioWare patches. Here's a link to both Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal patches.

If you feel adventurous a bit, you can also check these threads for additional mod ideas.

In general rule, it's always best to install BG2: SoA, then ToB, followed up closely by a patch up and use of bugfixes first, *then* installing the major mods and finishing with the subtle, sneaky mods. But anyway, this might be useful to compare installation orders if you plan on adding other mods, but if it's too confusing for you, just ignore it and ask one of our devoted slav-- Er, fellow forumdwellers with equal rights in all regards. :D

No, really.

Enjoy the game; and happy Irenicus-hunting!

[ January 21, 2006, 06:02: Message edited by: Ziggyveld ]

4. Base the Bass Gems: 1/31

Hey thanks for your replies.
    I do know thw sequence of which I am supposed to install them:SOA ,then TOB,then the latest patch for TOB(don't have to install any SOA patch because it is included in the TOB patch I guess) and then the latest version of Darkest Day.
    My question should be more like WHEN in terms of playtime do I have to install them?
    You were clear that I can install SOA and TOB at the beginning of the game.
    But do I finish playing these games,and THEN install darkest day and restart playing?I know darkest day is a mod,but what I don't know is if it subtracts things from the original plot that I will miss if I don't finish the original first.
    Also,another question.I was trying to make an altered dialog.tlk version of the SOA for a friend's birthday. (the mage came in the beginning of the game swearing at my friend,it was quite funny).I used a program that traced sentences in the file and changed them with SAME LENGTH sentences.It changed only the text.However after changed a lot of the dialogues(only the text,I repeat) the game crashed.Any idea of anyone who has put time on that subject?what about the guys who make the mods?they should know.
    I'm not kind of a developer myself,I only know Visual Basic though,but I've been programming full time for 7 years now.

And onther thing.If darkest day is supposed to coexist with the other 2 plots,would you recommend to a beginner to install darkest day?doesn't it make an already complicated game..more complicated?

[ January 21, 2006, 17:55: Message edited by: Base the Bass ]

5. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Darkest Day 1.0.3 is a very old version--don't use it. There's a newer WeiDU version around somewhere; try http://www.spellholdstudios.net . It is not a mod I would recommend much, though. You might well have to start a new game after you install it.

Regarding your text query, if you only changed text strings then that would not have caused a crash. Which suggests that you accidentally changed something else too, and shows why that sort of modding often leads to errors. ;)

If you have modding queries then you get better and faster answers at modding site discussion forums, such as http://forums.gibberlings3.net , http://forums.pocketplane.net , http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net or http://forums.spellholdstudios.net

6. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

@Base the Bass -

For what I understand, you have never play BG2 SoA & ToB, if so than I recomend play the un-moded version first, and after you finish once thru them, then add any mods that may interest you, so you can see the difference first, and judge if you will want any additional content (e.g: kits mods, add' quests, tweaks, items...etc)

Anyway, Good luck on your game :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  7. Gasha Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I recommend playing without TDD first. BG2 is an amazing experience, and mods like TDD is more for extended play value when you play the game the second time, and have already done most quests. On the other hand, there are mods like Virtue (which is proberbly the best mod I've ever had), which are more for funnier gameplay. So I recommend installing gameplay mods like Virtue on your first time, and extra quests and kits like TDD when you're about to play it again.

8. Base the Bass Gems: 1/31

Hey thanks all of you guys.Now I got the point.I'll play the original and install any mods if I play for a second time.
    @Andyr: Yes,that was my guess too,that I accidentally changed something that was between the text in dialog.tlk but however I can't figure how.Thanks for your links!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.