1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DNA Evidence

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Late-Night Thinker, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I just read something interesting. We have all heard an expert witness give the odds of a match. Suppose the odds of a match are 1/1,000,000; if the case was in New York City and there was no other evidence besides the DNA match (i.e. the match occured by a database of convicted prisoners' DNA), that would mean the odds that the man being accused was guilty would only be 1/18!

Certainly non-intuitive!

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I don't think many people have or could be charged on DNA evidence alone - the cops need a sapina or something to get it in the first place and they need pretty good proof to get one of those.

BTW if there were 23 randomly selected people in a room the mathematical chance of two of them sharing the same birthday is 1/2

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've heard the odds are closer to 1:1,000,000,000 -- this means that only five or six people in the world would have DNA that is close (and those would be blood relatives). I've often wondered how OJ's attorneys managed to get the jury to ignore DNA evidence -- especially when the only other possible match was his own family (ie.e, son, father, etc.).

Even at 1:1,000,000 combine that with motive and opportunity -- once again your at pretty good odds the right guy is convicted.

4. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

LNT: I am pretty sure it's also not true. How did one arrive at the 1/18 result?

Odds being 1/1,000,000 for a match means that if you pick two people at random, the odds that their DNA would match is , well, 1 in one million :) (pretty straightforward, right?). how big the population is does not come into account.

On the other side, if you want to say that the odds that there are two people in NYC (with a population of 10 mil) with a match are much greater, I agree with you. (let's assume here we talk about unrelated people). But then, what are the chances that one of those two people is the victim of a crime (one) and then the other one is a suspect (two).

(post 200, who-hoo :) )

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    No one is ever convicted solely on DNA evidence. In fact, the main use of DNA evidence is to eliminate possible suspects as much as it is to make sure you got the right guy.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

AFI's comment makes more sense there. But if it comes up a match, then the guy is likely screwed. But I also agree with the equation that T2Bruno came up with in that regard....

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Usually, DNA evidence is the nail in the coffin or the way to narrow down an investigation, depending on the matter at hand. You either have everything but need more forensic evidence to advance the case, or you need to start checking your list of possible suspects. As Aldeth pointed out, more often than not, it's a way to exclude suspects rather than prove someone guilty.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Exactly NonSequitur. To use a very simply example - one that is not even criminal - take a paternity test for example. If a woman claims that one of three men can be the possible father, a simple DNA test will definitively eliminate two of the three.

Also, the results are never 100% conclusive, but at times they are so close to 100% certainty that there really can be no debate. Take the OJ Simpson case. The DNA results indicated that there was a 1 in 10 billion chance of the DNA belonging to someone else. Seeing as how there aren't even 10 billion people on the entire planet, it logically followed that there was no one on the planet other than OJ from which the sample came from.

9. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Thought this might help some of you

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    You've got the odds thing wrong.
    First, the DNA test is not perfect and there's a certain chance that the results will be wrong. This is easily calculated and small.
    Second, the original DNA sample is most likely damaged, so you only have most of the DNA to test against. This is like comparing a partial fingerprint to a complete one.
    This means that, while the odds of you having the same DNA with someone are astronomical, the odds of your DNA that has been sitting on the sidewalk all night having the same parts remain that you share with a complete stranger are significantly greater. These odds may well be somewhere between 1/1,000,000 and 1/1,000,000,000, depending on how old your sample is and what conditions it was left in.
    Also, if the odds are 1/1,000,000 and there happened to be 18,000,000 in NY on the day the crime was committed, that means that around 17 other people should share these DNA strands. Of course, if these other 17 people never met the victim, have no criminal record, and were all at work miles away when the crime was committed, it's not looking good for you.
    Although, the others are right that DNA is only one part of a much larger case.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.