1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DMG 3rd Edition error + Weapon creation Q.

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Faragon, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I was writing up another character (sudden burst of inspiration ;) ) and looked at page 244, creating weapons. There it says, and I quote: "A magic weapon must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus to have any of the abilities listed on table 8-15: Weapon Special Abilities. A character can't create for example, simply a keen rapier. A keen rapier needs an enhancement bonus of at least +1"

Hello? 'Keen' is for slashing weapons only! You can't create a keen rapier, ever, as it is a piercing weapon. :grin: (As stated in table 8-15 on page 185)

Related to that, I'd love a Keen scimitar, but I can't use that with Weapon Finesse, because a scimitar isn't a light weapon for a medium sized creature. So:
    1) Can one make a mithril scimitar?
    2) How much would that cost?
    3) Since mithril is lighter than simple steel, what would it's weight be?
    4) And can a medium sized creature use Weapon Finesse with a Mithril Scimitar? (since it's lighter than a normal scimitar)

2. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

As I recall, Weapon Finesse applies to small weapons, not light ones. I think that if the weapon is at least one size category smaller than the wielder, Weapon Finesse should apply. The rapier is the exception to this rule as it was designed to be used with a high degree of dexterity.

As far as your other questions go, I don't know. Go fish. :)

3. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Found the answers to #1 and 3 myself already, should've looked better.

1) yes, see page 243 "nonarmor or nonshield items made from mithral weigh half as much as the same item made from other metals."
    3) Half the normal weight, i.e. 2 lbs.

About size, a light lance is a whole lot bigger than a scimitar, yet it is in the small category, thus allowing it to be used with WF... Doesn't really make sense to me. :confused:

4. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

A weapon is considered 'light' if it is one size smaller then your character. A small weapon is 'light' for a medium character, and a tiny weapon is 'light' for a small character.
    So, to sum up the answer for question #4; no, you can't use Weapon Finesse on a scimitar, because it is not 'light' (unless you play a large character). 'Light' has nothing to do with the weight of the weapon.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Actuallly, the keen effect can be applied to piercing weapons now, as per the DMG errata (Bwahahaha... Keen flaming burst heavy picks).

A mithral scimitar costs 500 gp times how many pounds it weighs. As far as I know, you can't apply Weapon Finesse to the scimitar, even if it's made of mithral. Weapon Finesse doesn't really work out realistically if you apply weight instead of size.

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Well, if you ask me, the size system is flawed. A light lance is 1.5 times larger than a scimitar, but it's considered small size.

And mithral? Tomato Tomato :)

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A ton of errata has been posted for those books already... Look it up.

8. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Great! now i know what weapon i'll be using with my druid :grin:

Havent thought of creating a keen scimitar before that.
    Just let me get something straight:

Scimitar has critical range 18,19,20 (3)
    keen scimitar has 15,16,17,18,19,20 (6)
    and keen with improved critical has 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 (9)

I dont know is this correct?

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Eaoch! THat is going to be hard to beat. You are going to kick ass.

10. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Nope, that is not correct.

A keen scimitar with the improved critical feat has a critical threat range of 9-20. Lucky guy!

[ June 10, 2003, 14:45: Message edited by: Alexander the Great ]

11. Mesmero

You either made a typo, or you are just rambling.

This is also wrong. The number nine is correct, but your threat range would be 12-20. (You should have counted better ;) )

12. Gothmog

Uhm... yeah, thats why i have maths 2 :rolleyes:

Cant even count well :nolike:

Thats gonna rock i think! I wouldnt even need a high attack bonus this way. IIRC when scoring a critical hit you *always* hit, no matter the opponents AC(true?).

What about the reroll there after? What if i throw 17 (another critical hit)? Do i get another x2 to original damage?

If that's so this would be invincible :eek: 40%(i think its 40%(12-20)) of automatic hit + 40% of double damage + another 40% every roll after doubling (again) the damage.

How does this work then?

13. Mesmero

This is true, but you don't have a critical hit yet. If a druid with a scimitar, rolls (for example) 19, it is a critical threat. This means there is a possibility that you get a critical hit. The next roll you make, is another attack roll. If you 'hit', it is a critical hit, if you 'miss', it isn't actually a miss, but you deal normal damage. If you roll (for example) 19 again, it doesn't mean anything. The next roll you make is to determine damage, if you made a critical hit you multiply the damage done by 2 (or 3 sometimes).

14. Gothmog

I wrote it a bit confusion it seems.

Lets say i'm a druid with improved critical and a keen scimitar. Critical range is 12-20 and scores x2 damage. No attack roll modifiers.

No i come to a monster and i roll 13. That means i hit no matter what AC the monster has. Then i roll another to hit roll to see if i actually deal out double damage... if i fail i hit the monster doing normal damage. If i succeed i hit tha monster for double damage.
    Now, here's the catchy part:
    What if i roll another critical when i'm rolling for double damage(second roll). What happens then? Do i get another double damage?

15. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

As far as I know, no. Then you could be able to keep on critting dozens of times if you roll halfway decent with that keen scimitar :grin:

16. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

wrong, you only, and I mean ONLY always hit on a natural 20. If you roll 13, which is within your critical threat area, but the monster has AC 14, then you miss.

From the book :D
    PHB, p.123 second column
    Increased Threat Range: Sometimes your threat range is greater than 20. That is, you can score a threat on a lower number. Longswords, for isntance, give you the threat on a natural attack roll of 19 or 20. In such cases, a roll below 20 is not an automatic hit. Any attack roll that doesn't result in a hit is not a threat.

17. Gothmog

Yes, well i may be a little sad but in fact i'm glad that is so.
    It really would be grandly(!) unfair to hit more surely with a elven sorcerer(rapier18-20) than a fighter :p

But its still cool to have such a number :grin:

Another question though... Does weapon weight mean anything else then heavier load? Lets say you have a steel warhammer. That weights a lot. And if you get yourself a mithral(or something alike) which weights less, does it do any difference?

[ June 10, 2003, 19:31: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

18. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

a thing that can be confusing is that light hasn't anything to do with weight.

PHB, p.97 first column

Light: If the weapon's size category is smaller than yours (such as a human using a Small weapon), then the weapon is light for you. Light weapons are easier to use your off hand, and you can use them while grappling. You can use a light weapon in one hand. You get no special bonuses when using it in two hands.

so what does it mean? well it means that a halfling can't use weapon finesse feat on a short sword among others, and it means that mithral or no mithral sword wont change it's size category.
    Light is referring to size, not weight. :)

that's the rules, now for good sportsmanship.
    It's a good idea, and since finesse and weight are related when thinking of two weapons of the same size but different weight (rapier and scimitar), then a mithral equal would be able to recieve the finesse feat as well (in my opinion).
    You should suggest this to the DM, and refer to the two instances and ask if you could have that weapon being used as a finesse weapon, if it doesn't interfere with the DM's opinion on a balanced game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.