1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DLC authorisation bugs, and the necessity to go online with Dragon Age, and privacy

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Ragusa, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    (a) the DLC bug:
    I pre-ordered Dragon Age and redeemed my pre-order code and, anyway, because 'The Stone Prisoner, pre-order DLC is supposedly 'unauthorised', rendering me unable to load any of my save games. Well, it is authorised, except that the games doesn't see it that way. Silly, that.

With view on the boards there is thus far no solution for that, and as I type this I'm in the queue for the tech support chat at EA games. Tech support site for Dragon Age is a veritable, shiny and stylish maze. It took me about half an hour to eventually find the tech support chat.

(b) Going online with Dragon Age:
    As for the online element of Dragon Age, I found it a little disturbing that on the Social Network site for the game some bot must have been busy, because I was able to browse all my screen shots, achievements and characters.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    You can disable the uploading thing as the only time you really need to log in is to get DLCs.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I know, now, but still, that the entire thing basically happened unasked ...

As for the chat: The general idea is that when they copy a link, you're not supposed to click it, but to copy-and-paste it in a new browser window. You then need to say something about the link they posted in order to make something happen: Something like 'Yes that describes my problem but doesn't help me. Can you help me?'

And indeed, the chat person helped me, I can access the saves again. At first I thought that person was an idiot, as he must have thought of me due to my irritated responses. I now think his job is just very boring.

4. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I had the DLC bug as well. I found a solution on the boards quite quickly but it was still infuriating. I hate DLC as it is but DLC that you get free as soon as the game is launched? Just put it on the bloody disc. Then there would never have been an issue in the first place. It took ages to download as well which was embarrasing as my housemate needed his mobile modem thingy back to confirm some flight details.

Worst of all by far was the bonus items I got from GAME. The instructions said 'Thank you for buying Dragon Age on PC from GAME. Please enter these codes in the Playstation Network Store at ZZZ.com to download them.' Now I figured something didn't look right but as the items came from the retailer and not the developer I figured they may just have been using their distribution channel. What the hell, I'll give it a quick try. Cue registration, downloading software to get the site to run, and half an hour or so of complete timewasting. Not counting the time waiting for the download. I know, I should have known better myself for this one but it was still dreadful service.

5. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

apparently my dlc content, bought through my only account, was bought through a different account according to EA/biowares server, so I can only use it, when im logged out.

I have no idea about how their system works, except that it doesn't

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I setup an account after I bought the game. I had to update my PS Network account so that the two could sync up so that I could download the DLC from EA website. Yeppie.... It took all but 3 minutes if that.

7. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

the funny part is, the dlc worked perfectly when I bought it ( I had a bug initially with Shale, but that got sorted). After the first time I exit the game and start it again a bit later, I'm told I cant load my game since it have dlc content in it, not tied to my account. After must frustration I simply log out of my account (the only one I have ever logged in) and bam the dlc content works and I'm allowed to load my game.
    So no I just constantly play logged out.

the thing is, it doesn't make sense, that their precious dlc **** only works when I'm not authenticating it by being online. to quote the internet and the dwarven criers: Epic fail!

8. Caradhras

Media:
    It may not make much sense but it's better that way. Having to log in to play DLC content is stupid (you have to move files around to be able to play Fallout 3 DLCs without Games for Windows running so for one I really prefer the way Dragon Age handles DLCs). The way I see it, you only need to log in to get a DLC and that's it. I don't see the point in logging in to play the game. If you care about achievements you can log in and wait for a few minutes to get them uploaded. Am I missing something else?

I put my current game (third playthrough) on hold waiting for the next DLC Return to Ostagar, I hope they'll release it before the New Year.

9. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

I must say, after they announced that Return to ostagar would max take an hour and can be done in 20min. I was turned of from buying it. 7€ for around one hour of content simply isn't worth it, in my book.

Soldiers peak, was a rather boring experience and really hyped to the point where they where down right lying about what you got. ( A new base of operation my ass).

10. Caradhras

Media:
    Return to Ostagar is going to as short as Warden's Peak? :rolleyes:

I'l probably get it even if I agree with Equester that more than 6 euros is too much for one hour. I think I won't buy cigarettes on the day I'll buy the DLC, that will even things out (since it's roughly the same price). Hopefully I won't regret that decision...

11. Equester Gems: 18/31

Veteran

One of the designes said so in the thread about it on the official forum, on the first page even

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/241198/1

12. Caradhras

Media:
    One hour long and they can't even release it for Christmas? No wonder it took them years to make Dragon Age... Anyway, thanks for the link Equester.

13. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Return to Ostagar sound somewhat interesting but I am definitely *NOT* getting any more DLCs for DA:O. 7 € for 1 hour of gaming max... No thank you. The only exception would be if they make a compilation of all future DLCs and sell it for a cheap price.

14. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

15. Caradhras

Media:
    Warden's Keep costs 7 dollars but they charged 6.51 euros for it. Some weird exchange rates if you ask me... If they go for the same rate that's closer to 4.65 euros than 3.50.

Not that I'd mind, in fact if I could save one euro and a few cents I could go wild and give myself a treat. :p

It won't matter that much if they force us to buy a fixed amount of EA points though. I hate these fake points. I certainly won't be buying a DLC if I have to buy extra points for it.

16. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

I just found out you are right, it will be €4.65

Apparently, they use a scale compared to buying Microsoft Points

80 MS Points = 1 Dollar
    400 MS Points = 5 Dollars

See Exchange

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    How do I know if the dlc bits are active? I bought the deluxe edition through steam and steam gave me a bunch of cd-keys but the game hasnt asked me for any. When I check available content I see the stone warden and warden's peak and they do not show as installed. When I followed the redeem link in game I came to some crappy bioware page where I registered but then I couldnt figure out what to do there. Anyone else bought the game through steam?

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I didn't get it through Steam, but I'm pretty sure it's the same because it wasn't obvious to me either at first.

Once you create your account (or use one you had previously), you need to log in to your account before it will present you with the code entry screen. After you've done it once, it seems to auto log you in after that. The codes are one-use only and seem to be tied to your login account/registered email address so they want to make sure you don't enter the code from the wrong account.

19. Caradhras

Media:
    Joacqin I don't know about the steam version but some of these keys must be promo codes for the extra content.

You have to create an account, log in, open your profile, select profile and redeem promo code. Once you're done you can check the download content progress after you've started the game and are logged in. It will download then and the different tabs will show you what content has been downloaded.

You have a premium content tab in game as well.

20. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Downloading the stuff now, got some bloodarmor or something as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.