1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Divinity: Original Sin KS

Discussion in 'Playground' started by DivineBastard, Mar 29, 2013.

1. DivineBastard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi all,

Longtime lurker.. I've just had nothing much to say (and I realise that to some of you I still don't, heh :p)

As we all know there has been a horrible dearth of good, fullfilling complex rpg's lately and that we have to look back to the 'golden' days for our fixes. However since the advent of Kickstarter things have just been getting better and better.. WL2, PE, Torment: Numenera... things are getting a WHOLE lot better for us who revile the idea of rpg-lite, regenerating health and cover systems...

Well, Larian, makers of the egregiously good Divine Divinity (and the kind of mediocre Beyond Divinity, and the excellent gameplay but piss poor ending of Ego draconis.. :/..and they've actually stated that they know their shortcomings as far as those games go.) have harkened back to their heights of old with the launching of a new kickstarter.. Divinity: Original Sins.

They have been working on it now for a few years and IT'S NEARLY READY FOR RELEASE.. but they want to make it better... They really are striving for this game to be as perfect as they can possibly make it.

For them they are seeking all of their inspiration from DD, but with a PROPER fully fleshed combat system.. with dare I say.. actual MECHANICS :D.. backstabbing, Attack of Opportunity and much more.. interacting spells anyone?.. you know all the good stuff.. there is however one point that may put you off BUT please let me explain.. there is multiplayer/co-op.... WAIT, WAIT, WAIT... Where are you going?, please give me a second to explain.. IT'S NOT NECESSARY...

The game is a FULLY fleshed out SP rpg experience with the depth and complexity we would expect, nae DEMAND (c'mon DD was BRILLIANT.. maybe a bit 'meh' on the combat, but that has been readdressed.. and is actually a real system now,, with real numbers).. however if you have a partner then they can also take over as your partner in crime... and guess what? You get to argue, in party, about the dialogue choices you make.. and in the case of a dispute your stats will decide who wins the argument (you can of course turn that off).. I think that's a pretty neat addition to the possibilities of an rpg.

As I said the game is very nearly finished.. but they need a bit extra (other than the self funding they've been doing for years for this game) to make the ending more involved and to hire some more of a team to flesh the game out even further.. with more THINGS.. and we all love THINGS...

Remember, this is a SYSTEM DRIVEN rpg... it's NOT scripted, events happen according to an actual system for each part of the game, this allows for the engine to do some very interesting things on the fly because of the collision of your decisions and actions and because of the content.

Oh... and it's good a full set of construction tools, too.

If what I've said is in the least bit interesting to you, personally I'm over the moon and I honestly would like you to be too (no, I'm not part of their team, just an avid player of (dare I say 'real'?) RPG's, then at least take a look.. maybe throw in a few bucks, or at least mention it around. :)

Here's the KS page.. and can I also say that Larian are being very open with their player's here, and are very involved with the comments too... so come on down, we'll make you feel welcome. ;).. There are some nice videos here to look at too.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

I hope you don't consider this spam.. :/ My only wish is to introduce like minded (?) players to something they may be interested in, and to try to support a project I really feel is worth the time.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.... Oh, and I really haven't said even half of the things about this that I could, 'cos I want to get back to the guys :)

Good Evening.

PS.. Oh, forgot to say.. The game IS coming out hopefully October, but at the very least November of THIS year... so it's not one of the projects that are YEARS away.... IT'S COMING!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.