1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dimesion Door

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Wildfire, Jan 14, 2001.

1. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Whoa.. I just played through the whole of BG 2 without finding a single scroll ANYWHERE for dimension door. This struck me as odd so I looked into the revered handbook to see. Nothing. By this stage I was more or a less tellin myself that I had obviously invented a spell that didn't exist. Anyway, i checked my trusted BG maunual, and there it was - Dimension Door. This is as far as i can tell the only spell that they removed from BG 1 for BG2. Why? Is it because it would be stupid if you combined it with farsight or what???

2. Elenias Nal'nair Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

...may be it caused troubles with farsight or with familiars...who knows...

(what evil lurks in the heart of man...)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Nope. Dimension door IS in BG2. I know, cause I have it. Don't ask me where I found it, I have no idea...
    Though I didn't use it more than twice in both games. Bloody useless spell as far as I'm concerned.

4. Mightymite89 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Dimension door is just used for special effects basicaly when people wnat to leave in videos. It looks better than the walking out.

5. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Only available for NPCs (Irenicus, Cowled Wizards, etc.). Not to be confused with Shadow Door.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oh, you're right. I was thinking of Shadow Door.
    Well Dimension Door is listed as one level lower version of Shadow Door in the BG1 manual. In essence, a less powerful version of Shadow Door whose only effect is that it transfers the caster to anywhere in his visual range.
    So how do the Cowled Fools use this to teleport in and out of the sphere is beyond me.

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The only time I really needed it was in the Elven Stronghold - The Severed Hand in IWD. There was a section of a room where a bridge had collapsed. I had my mage D-Door across the chasm and found a really nice Orc flail, that did extra damage against elves.

That was the only time I NEEDED it. Other than that, I just used it because it was fun for my Mage/Thief to D-Door behind people and backstab them.

8. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Damn. Was there anyway else across this bridge? I don't think I ever did that. Missed out on an item it would seem. Blood and ashes!

Sweet idea though to get to the other side. I really like Dimension Door. Using it in battles is too awesome to get behind the enemy, cast a few spells and Dimension Door out of there to safety.

Syl...

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The only downside to D-Dooring with the mage over the chasm, was that you get jumped by 5 or 6 Orcs...Luckily, the rest of my party had missile weapons, otherwise, he would have been toast.

I ended up keeping that flail through most of the game too...It helped against some of the drow we met up with.

10. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Dimension Door is one of my favorite P&P spells next to Teleport. Even in BG1, I used it quite often to teleport to a safer area when being barraged with enemies. I was quite disappointed to see that it wasn't available in BG2. (It even just looked cool. I would sometimes use it for the hell of it.)

I forgot something. In the P&P version, you can take people with you as well. (And the range is a lot farther.)

[This message has been edited by Vile (edited January 19, 2001).]

11. Immoral Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Sylvus,

In response to your question, yes, there were stairs that would allow entry to that area on the lowere level.

I used them to get the Flail +5 vs. Elves

-Immoral

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
    -William Jennings Bryan

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.