1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Invisible War...does the order matter?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I realize Invisible War is the sequel to Deus Ex. But do I need to play the original Deus Ex first to understand what's going on in Invisible War? I haven't been able to find a copy of Deus Ex, and I bought Invisible war yesterday. Both have gotten very high reviews from multiple sources, so I'm sure they'll both be great. But can I play Invisible War first? Then play Deus Ex later as prequel kinda thing?

Opinions from fans are appreciated. Also, any interesting non-spoiler comments you'd like to share about either, please do.

2. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I have both, and I'm playing Invisible War first as I actually prefer it much more, despite many reviews on amazon saying the opposite.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've played the original, but not the sequel, so I can't say first hand. However, from Gamespot's review (don't worry, there are no spoilers here):

4. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I'm a good way through (I think) and I've had no problems really, but I do know a little bit about the first one. Though I haven't played much of the first one, apparently Deus Ex involves all of the possible ending from Deus Ex.

5. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Having played both games, I have to say that IMO Dx2IW was much less fun then Deus Ex.
    The story (of Dx2IW) becomes considerably more immersive (not to mention understandable) if you're a veteran and some of the mayor characters also make a re-appearance, but it should still be enjoyable for a newcomer.
    However I'd still recommend playing Dx2IW first because otherwise it'll probably be quite a disappointment for a RPGamer.
    Said that, part two is a good game, part one is simply an awesome game that would have been very hard to do justice to.
    I strongly recommend that you get Deus Ex though, it's one of the finest games I've ever played (whereas it's sequel was at best above average)
    :borg:

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@ Baldy

Yes, if you can ignore the ridicilously stupid AI that makes the whole game a walk in the park. One can only wish that someone would make a mod to fix it...

As to the Dex 1 and 2 comparison, Dex1 has more to explore, more diverse RPG elements, and is generally taken more interesting. Dex2 is rather just a stripped continuum to the serie with updated graphics (non-optimized, of course; being made for consoles in the first place).

Which one to play first? If you are more into graphics, take Dex2 first, but if it is the story that interests you, Dex1 is your choise. ;)

7. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Deus Ex has a little better plot. It's still got (*snicker*) the illumaniti as a major force in the world, but there's kind of some neat stuff elsewhere. The gameplay balance is a little better than the second one.

The most important thing to remember about the second one is that there's always an airshaft around the corner. So you're NEVER EVER stuck; you just have to make it to the air shaft.

Also, Deus Ex 1 doesn't have the loadzones. That's another imporant thing. Also, It has more weapon mods. And weapons. Um. And runs better.

I'm going to be quiet, now.

*strolls off into the woods*

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.