1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Desktop Tower Defense

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Barmy Army, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    This game is the reason I've done hardly anywork for the past week.

Other lads in the office have wondered wha the hell I'm doing, and picked up the game as well.

It's addictive as hell, seriously... play with caution.

Desktop Tower Defense

Please post your high scores - I play on medium difficulty. Not tried the others, seem a bit hard... !

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

oh god - I stumbled upon this maybe 2 days ago and its seriously addictive, it functions just like the old tower defense maps for Warcraft III, with a few added complexities. I haven't really been keeping track of my scores, but I think most of them have been a tad over 5,000.

Just started the group "sorcerers place" if anyone wants to add their score there

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's interesting that it hasn't been done much in Flash games before... Warcraft 3 tower defence maps are a lot of fun. This is pretty much the same, just a pocket version of it with some more towers.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got to the end of Medium difficulty with I think 12 lives left; something under 5000. So far. :)

Just tried again and had 15 lives left and a score of 5355

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  5. Stu Gems: 20/31

Other than the number of remaining lives and the little button that sends the next wave early is there any way to get more points?

My last score of 5400 or something was done by having a very forward offense - a fully upgraded bash tower and some frost towers right up front and some anti-air towers in the middle. My tactic was to take them out very early and press the button the send the next wave as soon as possible. It kind of failed in the lives department (ended up with just 2) with the later spawn and boss creeps - a few were able to get past the bash tower, and then it was pretty much over since I didn't have any upgraded towers further in the maze, I also screwed up by sending 2 bosses and a few spawn creeps at the same time (clicked twice on the next wave button instead of once). My air defense was satisfactory until the flying boss at the end.

If I were to do it again, I'd set the bash tower up so both streams of creeps have to walk the full way round it (rather than just 1/2 way) and support it with with more upgraded frost towers (to make the most of the single bash tower- granted this would result in a slightly further back offense). Also I think sending multiple waves of non-spawn and boss creeps would be effective (say maybe 8 waves at a time, including 1 air), as the bash and frost towers deal area damage, and the air towers would focus on the air units exclusively.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Damn you, Barmy Army. Damn yoouuuu!!!

:p

Anyway, 5238 on medium difficulty, with 16 lives left. For now.

7. Stu Gems: 20/31

6486 on normal (16 lives left) :D - finally got around to implementing my improvements, I had a bash tower that everything had to walk the whole way around, supported by frost towers. My strategy involved letting 7 or so groups through all at the same time, all of which were effected by the area effect damage of the bash and frost towers. I had a single air tower in the center, which was helped by the frost towers. (frost towers were mainly in place to slow the enemy down as to allow the bash and air towers as many shots as possible. I upgraded the bash tower when the air creeps were coming through.

Main problems were spawn creeps - a few slipped through when dividing, this made my maze longer than I expected, though I didn't let any through.
    The final 2 bosses - I only managed to take out one of the air ones, the other slipped though and I missed clicked trying to set up an air tower on his exit, I also let through 2 spawn bosses thinking that that the air bosses were just regular air creeps. I lost three lives from the spawn bosses after they slipped past the bash tower (I managed to divide both, but they had an easy time after getting past the bash/frost towers).

pic - the non-upgraded bash towers and all the frost towers below the middle were built as a last ditch effort to stop the spawn boss at the end.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nice. The best I've done is 5607 so far. I've had a tough time getting the spawn bosses completely dead, I very rarely get them all; and the only time I've been able to get both air bosses was when I had two fully upgraded swarm towers firing at them.

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I was finally able to not let anything by and keep all 20 lives :) Ended up with 5912 points.

EDIT
    Ack! I tried to see how your method worked Stu, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to implement that map of yours. I can't kill everything coming at me before I can get the first bash tower up.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  10. Stu Gems: 20/31

I relied on pellet towers to start with, just adding them when they looked like they might get past. I had a single air tower for the first air creeps, though on reflection I think more pellet and frost towers would have been more effective/cheaper. The bash tower came in soon after the air creeps, and the frost towers soon after that. I then yeah, just let 7 groups of creeps through at a time and upgraded the bash tower when the flying creeps were over head, the frost towers when I could, the air tower while the ground creeps were moving through and pellet towers when I had spare money. I think I had build my maze up to the 3rd upgraded pellet tower by the time the bash tower was in.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I did a similar thing as you, but the buildup of the maze was much easier (at least for me). I had only one bash tower flanked by a couple of frost towers, then one swarm tower until near the end when I had two fully upgraded ones for the air bosses. At the end I upraded a couple pellet towers to the max and added a couple squirt towers for good measure and the maze was as large as I could make it (basically going back and forth horizontally). The only things I couldn't kill were two spawns from the spawn bosses. Timing of upgrading and sending of the next waves were key since once you've earned the cash from killing the creeps you need time to uprade your towers; I only sent maybe three or four waves max near the middle part.

I ended up with 7016 points and 18 lives.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  12. Stu Gems: 20/31

Gee - nice work! I reckon I'm going to have to give it another shot soon.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    See how far you can get on 'The 100' challenging mode.I think I got to about level 61, then nothing you do can stop the creeps! Impossible to do that I reckon.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I dont like this version, a few months ago I played a few much more entertaining where the creeps ran through more mace like courses instead of this open field. Do not have a link though. It made the placing of the cannons much more important.

15. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got 6741 with 19 lives on medium. It would have been a perfect 20, but I got unlucky with the final spawn boss - one on the spawns snuck through a corner when it burst apart, and I had forgotten to plug that angle. I also was probably a bit too cautious sending out multiple waves of swarms, so that kept my score down.

I find that a fully upgraded squirt tower is deadly. For the cost of one level 5 slow-firing bash tower, you can get 3 level 5 rapid-firing squirt towers, and to me, this is the better investment. And 2 fully-upgraded swarm towers seem to be essential for taking down the final air bosses.

I'm not sure how people get 8000 points. I suspect they set up their mazes in such a way that they can force swarms to go back and forth across the "hot zones" by alternating between opening and closing opposite ends of the maze.

16. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

When I play tower defense, I usually focus on surviving rather than points. Easy was easy on my first try. Normal took more work in designing a maze. Hard... I still can't beat. The strategy I used in normal already leaks at the first level of spawn creeps. By the second round of spawns and flyers, I'm dead. So it's back to the drawing board.

17. Stu Gems: 20/31

omg- there's a multiplayer version of this game MPDTD. Basically you try and outlast/outscore 5 people playing at the same time and there are a few powers to try and sabotage your opponents efforts.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.