1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Desert Island Games

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Harbourboy, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If you were holed up in a log cabin by yourself with your computer and no internet access for 6 months and were only allowed to take three games with you, which three would they be? They'd have to be ones you could play single-player and not get bored of quickly.

I would choose:

- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (I do all the campaigns then keep playing new random maps with each of the races: Wookiees, Rebels, Empire etc)

- Civilization III - with Conquests add-on (it takes me 2 weeks to finish one of the games anyway - plus there are loads of different tribes to try out)

- Baldur's Gate II - with Throne of Baal add-on (I've never played this game and I'd have no access to walkthroughs so it would probably take me at least 6 months to solve)

2. - Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - with Tribunal and Bloodmoon add-ons
    - Baldur's Gate II - with Throne of Baal add-on
    - Neverwinter Nights - with SOU and HOU add-ons

3. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

- BGII with every add-on concievable
    - NWN with SoU and HoU
    - Unreal Tournament - I once played this for 6 hours striaght without blinking, plus, there are no mini guns or rocket launchers in the first two and you can't go for 6 months without blowing somone into giblets now can you?

4. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Civilization III - with Conquests add-on
    Baldur's Gate II - with Throne of Baal add-on
    Max payne 2 - got to shoot somebody sometimes.

but I would be bored pretty quickly, I can't seem to keep my concentration on one game. the last game that really got me, was Hack infection

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

- BG2/ToB
    - Close Combat IV: The battle of Bulge
    - Medieval: Total War

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

The random map generator is awesome.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BG2/ToB (don't have ToB, so it would take me awhile)

PS:T - played it a few years ago, but ruined the experience by using a walkthrough. But I might want to try it again.

System Shock 2 - a good FPS with role-playing elements. It's the only shooter I've played more than once.

Of course, these are from the ones I've played. I have a number of others that I don't have yet but which might also be in the running (eg. KotOR?)

8. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Ow my gawd this is *tough*
    If it's available at the time of release, I'd take Battle for Middle Earth (IIRC that was what the LotR RTS that didn't suck it's own ass off was called, but it's still in production)
    Vampire: the Masquerade Bloodlines. also still in production but it's an RPG that plays like Deus Ex in a vampire setting, which I love - and it has high replay value too from what I've heard.
    Morrowind + both expansions (and a load of mods) because this game is just awesome and I haven't gotten the expansion set yet.
    If the above two are not available, I'd replace Battle for Middle Earth with Civilization 3 + add-on are maybe Rise of Nations + add-on, and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines with BG2+ToB as I've never played ToB and I really wanna.
    Furthermore, I'd also smuggle in a copy of Thief 3 (maybe using subdermal implantation or somesuch) because that game *also* seems to be awsome.
    It's going to be expensive months for me, even if I don't get caught up in the entire desert island issue...
    :borg:

On a side note, if I could only pack Medieval total War too, and the other game (RoN or Civ3, whichever I didn't pick earlier)
    Gee, I'm a geek...

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Command and Conquer Red Alert 2, the skirmishes and stuff is fun.

I agree with Slayer that I would take Unreal Tornement, sniper rifle, 20 head shots in row! (then I fell off the building)

as to my final choice...mmmm?...toughy, but it would probably be, GTA: VC or the new one coming out San Andreis, but it would have to be 100% complete because I hate doing missions!

I would choose KoToR but I don't own it...yet!

But then again I wouldn't need any games, just a really good book, or several!

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Civ 3 with all add-ons and a bunch of scenarios and modpacks. I have played this game a lot but it is a game you can never really completely tire of.

Probably BG2/ToB but for third I do not know. Would be nice with a huge good game I have not yet played. Any tips?

11. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Medieval: Total War (best strategy at the moment IMO)
    Planescape: Torment (second best CRPG ever)
    Ultima 7 (best CRPG ever)

12. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Unreal Tournament 2004 - my current favourite game. Finally got round to buying it. I'd have to include mods, though.

Neverwinter Nights + expansions - even if I get bored of the game itself, there's still making all those lovely modules to enjoy...

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic - it's been my favourite strategy game since I first played it. Addictive. It has a special place in my heart.

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd take Final Fantasy VII - no matter what time or day you can always play final Fantasy VII.

Fallout: Tactics - Brotherhood of Steel - I still enjoy playing this game again and again trying to make it through the levels without taking a hit i.e. perfect tactics.

Master of Orion III - "What?!" You say? It might be confusing but for someone who finally understands the game it's brilliant. I'd play it really slowly micromanaging every part of every planet.

14. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Master of Orion III ain't good, MoOII is.

I would take:

Fallout 2, with editors if I get bored with the regular gaming.

Icewind Dale, with HoW and ToTL.

BGtutu, I cheat and call this one game, pull my finger and call me a bastard, but I from here on say that it is one game, not two.

Strip Poker, IF I manages to get bored with the above. :p (j/k)

15. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

NWN with expansions (and ALFA haks ;) ).

KoTOR (meaning to get back into this.)

Maybe Jedi Academy, as its really fun.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Abomination - right on!

FFVII!!!! - This game is awesome. I've been meaning to finish it for years hehe.
    BG2/ToB - Yes, a popular choice here (what a surprise)
    FFVIII - I've been meaning to finish this one too hehe.

Between the 2 final fantasy games, 6 months doesnt seem like THAT long a time...

17. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

-BG2:ToB (with mods, I've played the game through too many times to find much worthwhile without mods)

-Fallout 2

-Chrono Trigger / FF VII

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31

@ Caleb: You say MOO3 isn't good because you find it far less simple than MOO2. If I'm going to spend 6 months I'm going to want something difficult to keep my brain active. MOO2 was just too simple and tech played too much of an advantage.

19. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, if you play on the hardest level with tactical combat and a lot of other options like a huge galaxy MoO2 becomes pretty advanced, IMHO. Add to the fact that you actually CAN design ships and CAN hire leaders.

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31

"Becomes pretty advanced" but not 'as' advanced as MOO3 :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.