1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dennis Prager's thoughts

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by dmc, Apr 26, 2004.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/dennisprager/dp20040420.shtml

Along with Michael Moore, here's another guy that I don't usually agree with (then again, I find that there are very few people in the media that I actually do agree with for a majority of the time, so I shouldn't be too surprised). I imagine that this will stir up a bit of a hornet's nest, but it's worth reading his views. In this case, I tend to agree with him.

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

First of all the jews were not murdered by Europe but by nazis and this is a huge difference. As far as the "little opposition" is concerned let him tell this to the thousands Europeans who were executed or died in the the death camps because they were helping jews.

Nobody sheds his blood for the liberty of others unless he has something to gain. Also, iirc it was the fleet of those damned french,which helped the Americans during their war of independence, it was the fleet of those damned french, which along with the russian and british fleet destroyed the ottoman fleet and saved the greek revolution. And these damned Prussians have never fought in Waterloo, right? I think that this guy has to open an history book.
    As for the "liberation of Iraq", well just let me laugh.

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Finally I'm saved! somebody more deluded than I am! :roll:

I might sgree that taking out a palestinian terrorist wasn't a bad thing but Israel is no saint. The fact that America's government supports their stealing of palestinian land is outrageous. Imagine how different the world might have been if nobody objected or cared about the Nazis invading Poland?

As for the U.S or Israel not being on the human rights commision? HAH! I might agree that the people who are, can hardly talk about human rights, but these two can? please! Has everyone forgotton camp X-ray at Guantanomo Bay? One of the shining examples of human rights violations in the world today. And as for Israel, Imprisoning a guy for 18 years and torturing him(allegedly) because he exposed Israel's nuclear program. Yeah that's really humane.

4. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I dont quite understand whats worthwile about 'Mr. Prager's thoughts'. All I see is a 'we are pure & shining good, you, however, are selfserving & corrupting evil' rant. Seems like he cant be bothered with details of any kind.
    And I thought I was a bit simple.

It must be real cozy and reassuring to live in such a stainless, perfect society that is convinced it acts only to benefit others. Too bad very few on the outside share this opinion.

All Mr. Prager does is teaching me once again how some utterly ignore their own flaws. Nothing more.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Excuse my American, but that dude can suck my dick. That's the only thing that racist piece of **** seems to be suited for.

Great, and why don't the Americanos volunteer and libarete them ? Aren't you hard enough, aren't you rough enough and aren't the Tibetans rich enough ?

So, he feels like me when I think about him. I have contempt for a bunch of rotten and filthy liars, invading other nations for obscure and arcane reasons and are so hurt in their vanity when they don't get neither applause nor support.

And the Israel part... staying away from a bloody topic like that is the best one can do. But anyway, Israel will have to use a lot of its resources in the coming years to rebuild what Sharon has destroyed on his rampage.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That dude is imo ten thousand times worse than Moore or anyone else. Anyone so convinced of their own goodness and righteousness cannot be anything but a paragon of vileness.

The main reason Israel (and the US) for example is getting so much more flak than other countries for doing stuff no worse than many others is just that they are supposed to be better than that. Israel is supposed to be a democratic state respecting international treaties and standing above acts committed by obvious tyrannical regimes like the in the article mentioned China. Israel claims to be an enlightened and respectful member of the free international community but all too often they act like the worst of the tyrannical "rogue" states. The same to a little lesser degree is true for the US. If you claim the moral highground then you damn better make sure that you deserve it or you will diminish the atrocities committed by those who are "officially bad".

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My, my! Looks like dmc was right in that this would stir up a hornet's nest.

It seems some of you think this is another "America is great, the rest of the world sucks" rant, but I didn't see it that way. To me, he was saying the whole world sucks, and that individuals are good.

Iago, when you say
    you act as though he didn't say "World leaders" and "world organization"; the US and Israel are not being exempted from his accusations.

True, he does call out the EU, France and Germany for special consideration, but he is not saying the US is a sparkling clean exemption. He is saying he has contempt for the whole "world" including the US.

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    dmc, when did you become such a troublemaker? :p

BTA, maybe Prager didn't come right out and say "the U.S. is great, everyone else sucks", but that's sure the impression I got. Any time he mentioned the U.S., it was with the general tone that the world has "done it wrong".

I can't say I really agreed with much Prager said.

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think you and others are perhaps reading it through a certain antagonistic bias. Yes, he does mention some of the things he doesn't like about what has been done to Israel and the US by other countries, but he is certainly not exempting the US from his contempt. He doesn't say "I have contempt for the UN, except of course for the US". He doesn't say "I have contempt for the world, except for the US and Israel".

Agreed, he did point a finger directly at the EU, France and Germany, but he also pointed the finger at American journalists.

He is not (IMO) saying the US is great and the rest of you suck; he is including the US in his contempt of "the world".

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can't speak for everyone else, but for me, I don't think so. Aside from the war on Iraq, I like the U.S., and don't really have any reason to be antagonistic. And again, I agree that he didn't come right out and say that he doesn't hate the U.S. as much as he hates everyone else, but I would think that, if he did, then he would have been able to come up with better examples than American journalists who represent their employers more than their country.

Then again, maybe I am biased, and just can't see it. Of course, that could be true of anyone, yourself included.

11. Iago Gems: 24/31

BTA wrote:

I do have the strong feeling from reading that text, that he actually does. At least, Israel and the US seem to be according to him "decent societies". He seems to me like a xenophobic rant. Of course, as I am myself are xenophobic I don't see too much bad about that alone. But xenophobes don't work well together with xenophobes from other countries.

My understanding of the usage of "world opinion" in the US is, that it usually refers to what it said outside of the border of the US. I therefore conclude that "world opinions" and with it "world" means the rest of the world contrasted to his home country. Therefore anyone else, except the US (and his excepting Israel explicitly too in other paragraphs).

That's always interesting, as a lot of people I speak to usually see the UN as US dominated. That's just a sidenote, but fore me, always an interesting contrast.

To the point, dominated by the "bad" of Asia and Africa, that's why Israel and the US don't hold the place that's rightly theirs. The US and Israel obviously aren't hated by him as Asia and Africa.

I noted that first. Europe sucks, like Africa and Asia. Europa is a very bad girl, she never should have come down from that bull.

Why has he to add "international" ? Wouldn't be I hate them all better and clearly also include all the Americans too ?

Here, he clearly talks about Americans. Corruption at home, oh my. But note "decent societies" refers to the US and Israel. I live in the indecent rest of the world. What he holds against them, is that they are domestic corruption. No word about his beloved goverment.

Yes, there are Americans that loathe the Judeo-Christian value system too, according to this writer-dude. But the US is exempted from the "corrupt world" as a"decent society" . But now, at least, I am clearer about the meaning of "Christliches Abendland", it's the US. (~christian occident)

Yes, equating the President of France with a known mass-murderer. Do you remember my theory about a view, that France is the incarnation of everything that is bad about Europe in the eyes of some specific group ?

So, the only continents that haven't had the luck of being mentioned where Latin-America and Australia. Yet, when I am browsing the side, the writer seems to have the strange illusion, that Bush is a decent human-being. I think the context of that all speaks loud. Except for the obvious hit on "professors" that seed hate and contempt for "das Christliche Abendland", the US seems to be a shingin beacon of liberty. Those professors must be some rats in the cellar.

.... Still editing

[ April 26, 2004, 21:29: Message edited by: Iago ]

12. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Heh. I've said all I need to about bias I think.

How about for the sake of argument, everyone interprets what he says through my own apparently rose-colored glasses, and discusses what he says in that light, rather than an "America great! You bad!" light. I suspect it might be more productive.

13. Dendri Gems: 20/31

Naw, he points fingers and he points them not at the U.S.

Just a thought: Why should dmc be "worried" about stirring up trouble if that bigot fellow only intended to express his worries and disgust in general? (I would agree with him in that case)
    No one would have a reason to be displeased.

Its quite clear what Mr. Prager wants to tell us.

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, let's see.

How about someone like BOC who disagrees with some of his assertions?

How about someone (someone similar to joacqin) who thinks it IS fair to come down on Israel for assassinations of Hamas leaders, but ignore other problems because Israel should be BETTER than that?

How about someone who thinks that having Libya, China, Saudi Arabia and Sudan on the human rights commission may encourage them to improve human rights in their own countries, so as to not appear hypocritical to the world?

How about those that think it's better to have some censored news from hotspot areas than no news at all?

There are many ways this discussion can go besides assuming he is espousing an "America great - you SUCK!" sentiment.

15. Ankiseth Vanir Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

16. Dendri Gems: 20/31

I think BOC & Co. made their statements to disprove Mr. Prager's claim that the U.S. and Israel are more honourable than the rest of us. To give an example why his 'thoughts' are not valid and whats wrong with the whole picture painted by him. I might be wrong about their intention though.

Makes me wonder why we are all 'assuming' the same thing.

17. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Then what does he mean when he says that Europeans are nazis? Also, the fact, that he twists/ignores history, shows something about his intentions and his credability.

Finally I managed to create my own multinational company :D .

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Look, this road is any easy one to follow, and one that far too many threads in the AoDA go down. Pardon me for trying to have a more interesting discussion.

19. Dendri Gems: 20/31

:p :D

@ BTA
    There is enough criticism of the U.S. in the Alley already. You are right. But I hope its okay if some here dont agree when we (Europe) are attacked like that. What did you expect would happen when something like this is presented to us?

I dont want to bash the U.S., only to defend my nick of the woods. Its not the same.
    (and I make it a point not to agitate higher beings, like moderators or admins!) ;)

edit - typos

[ April 26, 2004, 23:47: Message edited by: Dendri ]

20. Iago Gems: 24/31

How about for the sake of argument, everyone interprets what he says through my own apparently rose-colored glasses, and discusses what he says in that light

Well, I did not notice that he mad any points of any interesting value. Only a summation of already known things.

For the Israel thing. I do not see Israel as anything better then most countries. I think the situation in Israel is similar to Albania/Serbia. It just a complex thing and solutions aren't easy. But if someone came up with a plan that would seem to work, I think the European countries should put their economical weight on a region that's dependend on trading with Europe, to force all sides to comply. And if necessary, go against the will of the Americans, who seem to have become a part of the problem and can't be part of a solution. Yet, that won't happen. That means the situation in Israel will go on and on and on. But I am sure that Sharon is a failure and doing a lot of harm to Israel. Israel will be weakend because of him a long time. It is getting more and more reliant on welfare as its economy suffers while Sharon seems to be keen on growing Hdyra-heads by chopping one head off after another, not noticing that the multiply through this process. Or noticing it and that's actually a plan ?

The point about the countries in the human rights commission. Well, they are a part of the world too and entitled to have their place in international organizations. Of any use ? No, I do not think so. But having them not there wouldn't make any difference. In cases of human rights, there are non-govermental organizations doing a much better job. I think the ones with reputation among them are much more suited for that task as any govermental institution anyway. It's more about the cause their serving and less about daily politics. The UN-Commission in the end comes only out with two kind of statements. Either it's we heard about bad things going on in that particular country and are quite sure it won't cost us too much to state that or it's an agreed consens among the members with weight, that they don't like that particular country.

The world-health organization is much more interesting. As indeed, it's a collition of values, which also happen to be held by some christians. Is it good or evil to prevent the spread of AIDS ? I think it is good to try to prevent it. In some countries, the human costs are already disastrous. And that situation is worsening with every day that goes by. I've seen an outlook for South-Africa and it's a catastrophe. Yet, some think that the prevention of AIDS is evil, as it implies the use and distribution of condoms and some teaching about reproduction. Of course, if condoms are evil, better have orphans. If they didn't catch AIDS at birth, at least they have survived their parents until they get 18 and catch the desease and spread it further. The WHO is truly evil trying to prevent that.

Was there anything else ? Tibet ? That's complicated. Who dares messing with China ? China is in a similar situation as the US, their huge. Putting pressure on China and not being careful can cause severe economical damage. Why not start with correcting Birma ? That would be a good cause, doable and if someone would come up with a plan that looked as it if indeed would work, I'd be all for it.

Reports from Iraq, not reported, don't know much about that, as I deem that a US-domestic thing I am not too acquainted with.

[ April 26, 2004, 23:54: Message edited by: Iago ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.