1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deities and Natural Healing

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would just like to get some feed back as to whether this is a good idea or not. I'd like to work most the bugs and bad ideas out before me and some friends actually give this world a go.

My Deities have anywhere between 660 hp and 2,288 hp (held by my God of Destruction and Pestilence who has a whopping Con score of 59) and I want them to have something better then natural healing to deal with hit point recovery. The Salient Divine Ability Divine Fast Healing doesn't work right, you can't actually watch my deities heal, but an injury that would keep a level 10 fighter bed ridden for weeks, some of my more powerful gods could recover from by the end of the day. I was thinking of having them heal Con Modifier + Divine Rank per day with strenuous activity, Con Modifier + Divine Rank x 1.5 for light activity and Con Modifier + Divine Rank x 2 for complete bed rest. That would have my God of Destruction and Pestilence healing up 78 of his 2,288 hp every day of inactivity instead of a whopping 3, I still want my deities to have the ability to become indeed of rest when severely wounded with say a fight with another god and having fasting healing 35 really stops that from happening.

It isn't terribly important as my deities have between 45 and 76 hit dice and tend to off the mortal servants of other deities who get near to level 20, but I would like to be able to provide an encounter where the party runs into a some creature from the Epic Level Handbook attacking a god and after the god destroys it, he or she can't just up and shrug off their wounds, say "no big deal, these wounds will close within the minute" and keep doing whatever. I want the deity to have a reason to sit and talk with then NPCs without having a deific reason for the interaction. At the same time I don't want to leave the party with the idea that they need to stay and protect a wounded deity who is going to take an eternity to heal back up to full health (specifically if the deity is one who's primarily a loner and doesn't have a host of angels to heal him or her back to full health).

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I guess you could have the monster's weapon be some kind of god-slaying thingamabob (like a dart of mistletoe, a la Norse mythology). The god won't be able to heal for a while, but after a few days he'll be as good as new.

Then again, I also hold that precise stats for the gods aren't really sensible. I mean, the gods are the freaking gods.

3. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

the abilities "Fast healing" and "Regenerate" are good for this very use. Both of them can also be specified for certain situations, like fast healing when covered i at least 50% water, or regeneration unless damage done by fire etc. I mostly agree that pure stats for Gods can get silly, it actually removes alot of the mystery of things, thats why worlds such as Forgotten Realms only gives stats for Avatars and not the gods themselves, and even this gets silly.

alternativelly (or as i would have done), you could just have made up the entire thing as plot extention, meaning you dont ever actuall yneed the stats for anything in such a fight. You just specify that you see the two titans fight, and after several explanation os how they fight, the god kill the critter, heavilly wounded. and then he can just "heal up" at teh rate you want him to. why make it more complicated than needed ? if your gonna make stats and follow them to the book you could end up with the critter getting some nice criticals and the god some misses and the critter actually kills the god ;)

Example, ever seen Gorion kill Sarevok at the start of Baldurs Gate 1 ? it is posible if he is very lucky. But the thing is scripted so Gorion does automatically after a certain timeframe. Just watch it a couple of times, especially if you use higher frame rate than standard he near always dies when Sarevok is NOT hitting him ! love it ;)

4. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Demigods and better never critically miss :D (1s are treated like any other roll) and if I'm using a greater god they automatically always get the best roll possible (though they don't critically hit on every attack roll). Anyway, so long as I'm not using a Prismatic Dragon (who as a Great Wyrm has 78 HD worth of draconic hit dice, an AC of 106, an attack bonus of +101, CR of 66 and stats who make the D+D pantheon greem with envy) or a Force Dragon, the highest AC is a 70 (the hecatoncheires, who where used to murder gods) and most of my gods who have any semi-balance of combat abilities could tear right through that AC.

Anyway I wanted the deities in the world I'm creating to have status because their hold over the world is very tenuous, quite possibly falling to any mortal of sufficient power (hence why many of the gods act maliciously towards humans, develop unyielding heirachies, destroy those without loyalties to a god or kill powerful followers of other gods and sometimes their own followers as well). It would be possible for a PC to convince a hecatoncheires, an infernal, a phaethon or similar abomination to make war on a specific god (assuming that the PC could figure out a way to talk with the abomination without getting him or herself killed, maybe a magic artifact or a promise of revenge against that deific partent that abbandoned the abomination) and possibly slay a weaker god or with enough manpower slay even a greater god (3 or 4 hecatoncheires with their 15 attacks per round could probably shread a greater deity).

Deific stats help the deity feel more limited, which is the feel I'm going for (besides, Deities and Demigods gives gods so many wacky abilities that challenge ratings are not applicable), there where beings who created the gods, who the gods are in someway responsible to and have duties to perform for even if these greater beings in no longer interact with the gods or the rest of the world (save for one event which led to a powerful liche ascending to godhood).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.