1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Darfur

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by khaavern, Oct 11, 2005.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Does anybody pays attention to what happens in Darfur? (to summarize, Arab militias supported by the Sudanese government are in the middle of an ethnic-cleansing campaign against the black African people native to the region. It can be easily called genocide, and it has the potential to be as bad as what happened in Rwanda ten years ago).

This has been going on for some time (at least two years). I find it quite disgusting that the UN did not step in yet. Now I am reading that US delegation (togheter with Russia, China and Algeria) is blocking the report of the top United Nations envoy for the prevention of genocide on this subject. Apparently the US delegation (led by Bolton) is afraid that this will provide legitimacy for the International Criminal Court.
    WP article

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Let's face the truth, UN and USA have no economical reason to go there. I hardly ever see any news from there, no one of polish politician speaks about it. People mourn about 1000 killed by hurricane but no one sees the genocide and famine in Darfur. People suffer here and there but the world does nothing to end this war.

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The mass rapings are disgusting there, along with other atrocities. Its ****ed up that the US invaded Iraq (killing tons of civillians, while brutality is a way of life for the Sudanese. As Undertaker states "there are no economical reasons" to help Darfur - the Janjaweed are free to do as they wish.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    And is that the reason the others are blocking it as well?

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Money. It's all about the money.

6. khaavern Gems: 14/31

AMaster: well, I think Russia and China as a matter of principle don't want to countenance the intervention of an international body in the internal affairs of a state. (after all, they are not really famous for treating their own people nicely). And about Algeria... they are not exactly recognized for their human-rights record, either.

As about the issue of money: I think that's part of it. There are no obvious reasons (either financial, or political) for US to get involved in that region. On the other hand, pure human decency would require that at least they put as much pressure on the Sudanese government as possible to stop this; and supporting the UN investigation seems like a no brainer.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    The U.N. should mobilize the armed forces of its African members and put a stop to this.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, right. How exactly would they "put a stop" to it? By leaving an army stationed there indefinitely? :rolleyes: Who's going to pay for that?

9. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Still it's better then sitting and doing nothing.

10. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Tal: it is not the only place in Africa where troops from an umbrella organization (either the UN, or some coalition of African state) would have intervened to stop a war. It is true that it costs money (and interventions in other places are in part justified by the hope of the participating states to get a part of the loot). But this should not rule it out.

Actually, this is an argument for the existence of an International Criminal Court. The hope being that fear of being prosecuted would stop politicians in places like Sudan of engaging in such acts.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    khaavern, it is my understanding that the scale of the conflict in Darfur is well beyond what's been happening in Africa in similar situations before. And you don't have a "regular" war there; it's basically a genocide. And those don't tend to stop either until they've reached their objective, or until a major force steps in and stays there. Otherwise it all just repeats as soon as they're gone. ICC is part of the problem. The Bush administration doesn't want to do anything that would give it any more legitimacy, and everyone else also has their own reasons for staying out of it. The biggest problem is that there is no clear benefit in sight for anyone getting involved.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And what is their objective. I have to admit to not being fully informed about this. I know what is going on, but I don't understand the "why". Typically for people to keep killing their own countrymen over a period of years, there has to be a pretty significant reason for it.

13. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I think in such cases of ethnical cleansing it is not very likely that the involved parties would consider themselves as "their own countrymen". And I do not know if this ethnical cleansing t reaches a Ruandan/Burundian dimensions. Yet, I expect it's all about the money, the land, the water, the cattle, the power, the career. If there is an intervention, I hope does not end Somalia like, that is, no ending at all. But I think it will be more like Ruanda/Burundi. Ignore it and over with it.

A succesfull intervention would cost a lot of money. A lot more than anyone would be willing to spend. And if it's spend, wouldn't it be better to spend it on Nigera, to undue Shell damage?

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, the objective would be wipe out the other side completely.

15. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Iago,

Funny, you mentioned all sorts of possibilites, except for the one most likely. It is all about the religion.

@Tal

I'm assuming you were being tongue in cheek when you were concerned about the cost of protecting the victims.

I would love to see Europe or Africa take action, instead of standing on the sidelines.

16. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

And president Bush used an argument (besides WoMD) to release Iraq people from tyranny. But when it comes to Darfur he is silent.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    The Great Snook, you can't be so naive as to believe any country or organization would go to war solely for altruistic reasons? For a country like the US, there has to be clear economic or political benefit of doing it. For an organization like the UN, there has to be sufficient backing by enough members, on a political and economic level.

You can't run a counter-war on wishful thinking.

I'd even love to see the US taken action here (and unlike in Iraq, it'd be 100% warranted and supported by the rest of the world), but guess what... ain't gonna happen. It'd be nice and all to help out them black folks, but there ain't nothing in it for good ole US of A. Sad reality of the situation.

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    So let me get this straight. If we go to war for our own reasons that is bad, if we go to war for other reasons that is good. That makes sense.

And for the record, I believe we are currently at war for more than just our reasons. I hope (and believe) that history will show that our toppling Afghanistan and Iraq will be good for the world.

I believe it is time for the rest of the world to stop complaining and do something. You know the old "If you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem". I am of Jewish descent and have a particular distaste for ethnic cleansing/genocide. I thought after WWII many people said "Never again". It is starting to look like it is more "I'm not paying for it, and I'm not going to risk my ass for you." I'm sorry, but Europe and Africa have sadly disappointed me. The U.S. is already busy, it is time for someone else to step up to the plate. I don't expect much from Africa as it appears there may not be one stable government on the continent, but Europe has the armies and has the cash. They could do it, but they appear to not want to. The U.S. can't solve every problem you know.

19. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Darfar was a problem before Iraq, but the US still wanted to go for the easy and more rewarding (for themselves) option. Besides if Iraq really was about W.M.D., then N.Korea would be top of the list...

20. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] We (the US) get slammed for cleaning up the mess we made, in Iraq. And then we get slammed for not cleaning up the mess Europe made, in Africa. Fascinating.

I am painting with a broad brush when I say Europe. The people who need to step up are the ones that made the mess in Africa in the first place. I guess that's the French, English, Dutch, and Italians. I may be missing some, or including some incorrectly. My knowledge of the colonization of Africa is not what it use to be.

The same people that complain about the US acting like World Cop in the case of Iraq (a country where people were being brutalized, and in the case of the Kurds, wiped out) think we should be acting like World Cop in Africa. This is why I rarely post in the Alleys any more.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.