1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dabel Bros Take on The Riftwar Saga

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Taluntain, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I just got this (and some sample pages, see below) in the mail from the VP of Dabel Brothers Production, so here's the press release for all interested:

---------------------------------------------------------------
    DABEL BROS TAKE ON THE RIFTWAR SAGA
    Studio behind The Hedge Knight returns to bring the universe of bestselling author Raymond E. Feist to life.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Following up on the success of the critically acclaimed bestselling adaptation of George R. R. Martin's The Hedge Knight, Dabel Brothers Production is nearing release on its next wave of comic book adaptations based on the works of popular fantasy authors.

One of the foremost of these titles is based upon the short story "The Wood Boy" by Raymond E. Feist, a unique coming of age story that offers a common boy's perspective of the Riftwar Saga as he finds himself enslaved under a force of alien invaders as they occupy the manor where he works. Featuring art by fan-favorite Mat Broome, the comic book adaptation of The Wood Boy is on track to become another major title for the Dabel Brothers.

"The Wood Boy is a great introduction to the Riftwar because it gives readers a glimpse of both sides of the conflict," said Sean J. Jordan, who wrote the adaptation of the story. "On one side, you've got the Midkemians, who live in a fairly standard medieval world complete with elves, dwarves, and dragons. On the other side, you have the Tsurani, an invading army somewhat like a blend between the Mongol Hordes and the Roman Legions that has come through a rift between the two worlds to conquer the kingdoms and take their metal."
    The Wood Boy follows Dirk, a teenager who has just begun his life as a servant on a prominent estate as the Riftwar begins. When the Tsurani invade the estate and turn it into a base of operations, Dirk and his fellow workers are forced to not only attend to the needs of the estate, but also those of the army.

"The first half of the story is all about Dirk learning how to live under the rule of his harsh new masters," said Jordan, "while the second half takes an unexpected twist and gives Dirk an opportunity to grow from a simple wood boy into a courageous hero." One of the most distinctive aspects of The Wood Boy is its artistic style -
    illustrator Mat Broome infused the story with a bit of a "Dirk-the-Daring" look to make the title stand out in the genre. The result is a book that captures the imagination and fun of the fantasy world.

"Part of the reason I decided to work on this project is because Feist's writing is really good," said Broome. "This is a really compelling story about the awkwardness of being a kid, and it's been a blast to work on it."

The Wood Boy #1 will be available in Spring, 2005 through Image Comics at comic book retailers everywhere. Retailers may order copies through Diamond Distributors, Order Code JAN051638.

------------------
    IMAGES
    ------------------

Cover:
    http://www.aliasenterprises.com/press/dbpro/woodboy_cover.jpg
    Logo:
    http://www.aliasenterprises.com/press/dbpro/woodboy_logo.gif
    Page Sample 1:
    http://www.aliasenterprises.com/press/dbpro/woodboy_1.jpg
    Page Sample 2:
    http://www.aliasenterprises.com/press/dbpro/woodboy_2.jpg
    Page Sample 3:
    http://www.aliasenterprises.com/press/dbpro/woodboy_3.jpg

---------------------------------------------
    About Dabel Brothers Production
    ---------------------------------------------

Dabel Brothers Production (DB Pro) is a comic book studio dedicated to bringing many of the best and most popular novels in the world of fantasy to the comic book medium. With a passion for authenticity and a firm respect for the original text, the Dabel Brothers work hard to ensure that their adaptations build upon and enhance the worlds of popular works in a manner that longtime fans and new readers alike can enjoy.

To date, Dabel Brothers Production is best known for its critically acclaimed adaptation of bestselling author George R. R. Martin's The Hedge Knight. DB Pro has also produced such titles as Legacy, Robert Silverberg's THE SEVENTH SHRINE and DRAGONLANCE: THE LEGEND of HUMA. Upcoming titles include Tad Willams's THE BURNING MAN, Raymond E. Feist's THE WOOD BOY, and IMPERIAL DRAGONS.

More information about Dabel Brothers Production can be found at http://www.dabelbrothers.com

---

Click here to download the first five pages of Raymond E. Feist's The Wood Boy and Robert Silverberg's The Seventh Shrine as well as their covers.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I thought I'd mention to those who are interested in Raymond E Feist's works and fantasy world that there is a legendary PC game called Betrayal at Krondor which takes place in his fantasy world and the story of the game is actually written by him. This game is freeware and can be made to run with modern computers with the help of a program called DOSbox.

The game is still playable today, if you don't mind a bit outdated graphics and simple enough to learn. I'd recommend it to everyone since it truly is a masterpiece and definently one of the best RPG's ever made.

I know that this has absolutely nothing to do with books (allthough the storytelling in the game resembles that of a book) I just had to mention it when the name of Feist came up. :)

EDIT: I can advice Nakia and everyone else who have troubles getting this game to work in PM if required. :)

[ March 06, 2005, 14:20: Message edited by: Morgoroth ]

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Actually there IS a way to link your thread to books: Feist rewrote the game's story (keeping the "big picture" and changing the details so they actually fit that narrative form) into a book, published as "Krondor: The Betrayal". There you go, now we're on topic again :)

The game is a masterpiece indeed. Ranks as one of the best games I've ever played. Great music too.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :yot: Morgoroth how do you play BaK with XP. Everything I've heard says it can't be done. I tried everything I could and couldn't get it to work. It was my first 'RPG' game. They called it RPG but it is more of an adventure game.

I've never read Feist's writing of Krondor; The Betrayal. I'd like to.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Please open a new topic in The Playground if you want to discuss the game.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Krondor: The Betrayal should be easy to find as a paperback. It's a pretty good read, and it's nice to see how some loose ends get tied together and to the main plot.

If Woody Boy, being a short story, is split into two comic books, I don't want to imagine how many volumes it would take to make Magician (700+ pages) into a comic... not to mention it'll take forever to draw the thing.

7. Taluntain

Media:
  8. The_Khan Banned

Thanks Taluntain my friend for posting up the news for me, I really appreciate it :)

Ziad my friend, our plan is to take it a book at a time, Magician Apprentice first and then moving on to the others. But it will be worth it!

For all of those interested, here is the sketch of young Pug, enjoy and please feel free to post your feedbacks.

http://www.roaringstudios.com/ernst/Magician_Apprentice/Pug1.JPG

9. The_Khan Banned

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Given the job DB did with the Hedge Knight, I'll definitely keep an eye on this--and I don't like Feist ;)

11. The_Khan Banned

12. The_Khan Banned

13. The_Khan Banned

Here are the covers of Magician Apprentice and pages 1-5, enjoy :)

Cover A:
    [​IMG]

Cover B:
    [​IMG]

Page 1:
    [​IMG]

Page 2:
    [​IMG]

14. The_Khan Banned

15. The_Khan Banned

16. The_Khan Banned

17. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Very interesting as a fan of both Feist and comics/graphic novels I look forward to this coming out and buying it. The young Pug and Tomas are similar to how I picture them as is Martin on cover 2B and Macros the black, but Arutha doesn't seem as dark or brooding as I would hope for. Still good work and please let me know when it's published so I can add it to my collection.

18. The_Khan Banned

Thank you for your support Darkstrider my friend :) The first issue will be out this April. As for Arutha with a little bit of color here and there we'll have him looking like he's brooding in no time ;)

19. The_Khan Banned

20. The_Khan Banned

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.