1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

DA: Awakening Specialization

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Munchkin Blender, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I believe the third specialization should be race specific and not necessary class specific.

If you are a dwarf; you get two specilizations that are based on dwarf cultures like the Legion Scout. Elfe you have the Shaper.

I'm not sure if the dog is in the Awakening as a companion but if he was it would have been nice if they would have created a specialization that would work with the dog and ehance the dog power or have them attack together, etc...

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I like your idea but it's not the way they decided to make the game. I guess they didn't want some players to feel frustrated with such a restriction.

It's silly when you read on the official forum about players complaining that the game doesn't take into account some of their choices in DAO and doesn't come up with an explanation for a GW who has decided to go for the "difficult" ending in the original game:

The fact that you can still import that character doesn't mean that you have to and indeed a dedicated RPer would probably not import a character who did the ultimate sacrifice.

Iirc the Elf spellcaster specialization is the Keeper a seemingly more Dalish oriented specialization. I assume that it's what you mean with "Shaper"?

Unfortunately the dog is not available in Awakening. That's a pity since it would have been nice to have him around (especially for a Human Noble).

I don't know if that is possible but perhaps someone will come up with a mod to get the dog back in the game. It's not as if it needed much in the way of dialogues anyway.

I haven't finished Awakening yet (frustrated by the fact that my high level Rogue has a lousy Dexterity score and can't possibly get the shiny new abilities) but the thing I really don't like is that you don't find out much about your former party members. Alistair, Morrigan, Oghren and the hidden NPC
    Loghain
    are accounted for but the others are not.

I miss Leliana the most. I've read that the actress who did the voice acting for Leliana had been hired by Bioware to do some extra voice acting so we may have a DLC featuring Leliana. No need to say that it would be incredibly nice.

EDIT: the spoilers I've posted in this post are about DAO not Awakening.

3. CelticDream

CelticDream I play well with others... others, not you Veteran

Media:
    I have to admit, with all the playthroughs of Origins I've done, and the one playthrough of Awakening that I've completed... the NPC I miss the most in Awakening is... drumroll please... Zevran. Then again, what can I say? I'm a female lol. The sexually charged, comedic party conversations that he is a part of are downright hilarious. Plus, if you play your cards right when romancing him in Origins, shouldn't he make some sort of cameo appearance in the expansion? Not to mention, whether you romanced him or not, and had his rep up to a decent point to where he stuck with you in the end, wouldn't it make sense for you to find out what he's been up to since the archdemon was killed? I can understand why they didn't show Morrigan, because everyone seems to believe she might be part of DA2, but Zevran wasn't that pivotal an NPC to end up there, so why not at least in the expansion? Meh... sorries... side tracked the topic lol.

As far as specializations, only played a dual-wielding rogue in my full play-through of Awakening. This time around it's a bow wielding rogue (rogues are my fav class tbh), because after messing around with one of the NPC's in Awakening, I want to try some of those archer talents. After that, I'm thinking of unlocking Blood Mage in Origins just to see what being a mage in Awakening is like since the mage origin I just finished, I had her die in the end since I forgot to harden Alistair so he pretty much dumped her... felt like taking the dramatic route :lol:

4. Caradhras

Media:
    Zevran is a really cool character. He has some really nice party interaction. When I think about him I always think about this character, they have so many things in common! :D

I think they didn't include him or Leliana because there are no romances in Awakenings. I don't know if it would have been too much trouble to continue the romance that started in DAO but the problem may have been that such romances would have to evolve.

I was already disappointed at the end of my first playthrough when my character didn't get a chance to spend some time with Leliana in the eve of the last battle and ended up having a little chat with you know who.

By the way Celtic Dream, you may have noticed that most specializations can be unlocked by buying books in Awakening (just buy the book and reload to save the money). That's how I unlocked the Blood Mage.

5. CelticDream

Media:
    When you buy the book in Awakening for Blood Mage, can you then use it in DAO? If so, that would be so awesome because then I wouldn't have to create a save before the instance where I'd have to do something that might have a rotten repercussion just to unlock that specialty.

Making a deal with the demon in the fade when trying to save Connor - never done it and would hate to see what kind of a reaction I'd have from the others in the party.

6. Caradhras

Media:
    Yes, that's what I did, I bought the book in Awakening and it permanently unlocked the Blood Mage specialization in both DAO and Awakening. In fact I think I have unlocked all Awakening specializations by buying tomes this way.

Regarding your spoiler, it makes sense if you play the kind of mage who can do that. Don't plan on reloading though because there are other compensations for making this decision. You'll find out in due time and I won't spoil it for you.

I've actually played this part with Wynne, Morrigan, Irving and lastly with my main character. There are different dialogue options depending on which character you control.

7. CelticDream

Media:
    Regarding my spoiler, after some things I had read up on in regards to Blood Mages, I thought it could only be done (unlocked) if the character you're controlling was the PC (if you unlock it that way and not by buying the tome in Awakening). I've been there with Morrigan, Wynne, Jowan, and my PC - haven't tried Irving though. I might have to choose him as the mage to go through on my next play-through just to get my itchy fingers into him and see what he wields and what his strengths/weaknesses are, since otherwise you don't really get the chance to see him in action.

8. Caradhras

Media:
    That is correct. The NPCs won't allow you to unlock this specialization.

I completely forgot about Jowan but now that you mention him I remember doing that part of the game with him.

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I was unable to get Irving to go; you have to havea very high persuade to make that happen.

10. Caradhras

Media:
    I didn't notice it was that difficult. Of course I was playing with my Cunning Rogue so persuade wasn't a problem.

11. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

You got Irving to go into the Fade? How good was he? Did he have any specializations?

12. Caradhras

Media:
    I got him to go yes but I can't answer you question. See, I have this mod that allows me to level characters from scratch when they join me.

Iirc he was level 16 so I guess his level is dependent on your main character's level.

Still, it was nice to get him to actually do something for a change. :grin:

13. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

In my game at the end of DAO it mentioned that the PC and Leliana was off about adventuring together.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.