1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Custom PrC - Mimic

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Lokken, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Disgusting!

----------------------------------------------
    Geez, I hardly remember I've ever spammed so blatantly and selfsatisfying... :evil:

Perhaps we should talk about that PrC in the chatroom? Only the question is: which one? :p

[ October 07, 2002, 22:49: Message edited by: Extremist ]

3. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Good PrC, great for role-playing and other, less when combat filled P&P games.

4. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

With this one around, I don't see any reason why anyone would stick to pure bard or wizard, which is not a good sign to begin with, imo. Keep in mind, there must be balance! ;)

Now, my analysis of the class:
    As a bard, being able to cast 3 9th level spells (both arcane and divine, it seems) at character level 17 (assuming he at level 7 had enough charisma to cast a bonus third level spell), might make the cleric and the wizard in the party kind of jealous. And the only thing he needs to give up, is the bardic lore and the song-thingy, whatever it's called. All in all, a way too powerful class for the bard.

And for a wizard it looks much better (or worse). One starting with 16 int will have no problem reaching the requirements by level 7. Pumping skillpoints into perform and other cross class skills would be a small sacrifice to be able to cast three extra level 9 spells when he gets there, or maybe he'll just use them for a few handy cleric spells instead? And I can't imagine the higher hitdie and better reflex saves would be all that demotivating either, eh?

May I suggest you, as a start, give +1 spell level and Mimic ability at alternating levels, and then perhaps both at level 10. He'd still be pretty good in the end, being able to cast 6th level spells, or getting 6 extra spell levels (one of them would be 5, the other 6). At least it would be a start.

-Azardu, humbly wondering what S Goddess was smoking when she replied...

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Thanks for replying! I know it's not balanced, just first edition. I had another idea for the mimic thing, because being able to mimic 3 level 9 spells is extremely powerful.

You're right, decrease spell progression would be a thing to do. I had an alternative for the mimic spells pr day ability, looking like this:

Lvl: 1-3 1/day
    Enlightment 1: Lvl: 1-3 2/day Lvl: 4-6 1/day
    Enlightment 2: Lvl: 1-3 3/day Lvl: 4-6 2/day Lvl: 7-9 1/day

will look into it. As for the wizard gaining it, you forget max rank for cross-class is half normal class, so a wizard wouldn't be able to select it till level 17 without a multiclass

I incorporated the other table, and went for half spell progression. I still think it should be able to mimic higher level spells since it can never make these spells itself but is dependant on others.

[ October 09, 2002, 19:13: Message edited by: Lokken ]

6. Azardu Gems: 9/31

Ah, forgot to mention the use of the feat Cosmopolitan from FRCS (assuming you play in that setting or use the book). Take that for Perform, and with 16 int or more, you'll be able to reach that class by level 7 (human?) wizard ;)

There's always a way, if you're willing to look for it :p

And I still think he should not have access to anything higher than 6th level spells, seeing as that is also the bard's highest spell level. Kind of makes sense, in a strange way. (I might also add that I do not under any circumstances think that a bard should be able to cast highlevel spells.) Besides, when the bard starts gating in balors, it's time to pack things up and leave. If he wanted this kind of power, he should have become a wizard instead. ;)

Another suggestion is to add the prereq "Must be able to cast spells spontaneously", which leaves the sorcerer and the bard, though the sorcerer with his few skillpoints and usually not all that high int, won't get this class all that soon. Also limiting the spells to arcane ones only, could be a smart move. Especially since harm doesn't allow saving throws. :p

And since it allows you to cast unlimited cantrips per day, how about Bard7/Mimic1/RogueX, happily sneakattacking every round with touch attack Ray of Frost? :D Scary :p

-Azardu, eagerly trying to squeeze every last drop of blood out of a PrC. (Bring'em on! ;) )

7. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

spontaneous casting is a good idea. As for unlimited cantrips, what ya talking about? You can only cast as many and the same ones that other people cast. You can't create any magical effects without another one casting the spell first.
    Someone else would need to cast ray of frost before the mimic could.

[ October 11, 2002, 19:08: Message edited by: Lokken ]

8. Azardu Gems: 9/31

"A mimic can replicate cantrips, but this does not count toward his daily limit."

From what I see, the mimic can cast an unlimited number of ray of frosts, for example, after he has seen anyone else cast it once. Or is it just worded bad?

It is not specifically stated that you can only do it once for each time you see a spell being cast either, are we to assume that is the case? :p From how I read it, you see a spell once, you can cast it whenever you want... Guess I might have misread it. :/

-Azardu

9. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

oh, hehe, no no :)
    probably bad wording. The idea was that if the mimic identifies a spell, he can replicate it with a successful perform check on his next turn as a standard, but he has to do it on the following turn of identifying the spell, can't do it later.
    I'll try another wording.. good thing we got solved that though :)

10. Azardu Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] Limited to arcane spells?
    And does armor check penalties apply to the caster?
    Things you need to sort out/clarify. ;)

11. Lokken Gems: 26/31

Veteran

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.