1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cursor mystery

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by kuemper, Sep 7, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Maybe someone here can solve this one for me.

I have a Logitech optical mouse and when I'm on the computer, the mouse cursor will be off screen frequently. I'm sitting here typing this and I see the little white arrow on the black background. Now, the arrow is gone. I move the mouse around to find the cursor, making big, sweeping motions in all directions. Okay, it's back on screen.

This happens on a daily basis and in most of the places I'm at: here, playing online games, solitaire, BG games, etc. Even just me sitting for a while and staring at the monitor it happens.

I'm putting this in the capable hands of SPers. Don't make me hire the Scooby gang. Velma keeps adjusting my office chair. :)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Experiment with different mouse pad surfaces. Rough, smooth, reflective, non-reflective, etc. It really depends on the mouse what you'll get best performance with. I've also got a Logitech optical and rougher surfaces work best in my case. (Which means the cheapest old style mouse pads with the top surface made of cloth work best.)

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Optical mice work best with no mouse pad.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

I've got a Belkin wireless that makes the cursor go weird when it's low on batteries, but that's probably not what you're talking about. The first thing I'd suggest is putting your optical directly on the desk; most desks have the right finish to minimize artifacts that might cause odd cursor jumps. The next thing I'd suggest is a flat piece of metal or plastic; when there's no adequate surface nearby, I use a non-descript patch on my laptop (just below the keyboard).

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Mine certainly doesn't. I've had the exact same problems with the cursor jumping around wildly or getting lost until I shifted from reflective surfaces to a more rough one. Using it on the desk itself produced the worst possible results. It's a bit counter to the theory about optical mice, but I'll rather argue for the practice.

[ September 07, 2005, 22:40: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Also remember that if you use it on a wooden surface, like a regular desk, then the mouse will eventually spoil the surface. I had to cover the worn-out patch with a mouse-pad.

Speaking about "multi-functionality..."

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

The reason I have an optical mouse is because my regular mouse and mousepad wouldn't fit between the monitor and the edge of my desk. I am on a 'wooden' surface and the lamenent's looking a bit worn. I'll see if I can find my old mousepad and cut it down to fit.

Just like a horror movie, it hasn't done it since I posted. Weird.

8. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I use a black cloth mousepad for my Optical mouse and it works just fine.

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Wierd. My Logitech works perfectly on wood and pads. Maybe it's a driver problem.

On another note, I've never had an optical mouse screw up a desk surface.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I've been mousing on my old pad from Staples. Now the problem is the pad wiggles around on my desk. :rolleyes:

11. Taluntain

Media:
    It's wasn't a driver problem. The same thing happened with default MS drivers and the latest Logitech ones. As I said, the issue was gone as soon as I put the mouse on an old pad.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I had the same problem with a logi optical mouse a few years back and tried everything. I finally just broke down a bought a new one, which works great.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I too got rid of my logi optical mouse for various reasons.

Recently I bought a mouse pad for use with optical mice/mouses. It has a slightly rough texture so Tal may be correct that the optical mouse needs a rough texture. If I use the mouse on a smooth surface it sticks and jumps.

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    There are optical mouse pads for devoted game players and those are actually made of glass, so I guess smooth surfaces can work, at least if practical annoyances are blocked from screwing up the theory. ;)

At the moment, I'm using an extremely old anti-static pad. It's so rough it makes a loud noise when you scratch it.

15. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Due yto my rahter strange set-up of the moment, I am using my optical mouse on top of my computer's case - it works fine :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.