1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Curing Obesity through Sterility (California)

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    That's weird. I don't believe obesity can be blamed on genes except maybe to a limited extent in a limited share of cases. It also looks like treating some people like worse humans than the rest. Reverting vasectomy can be very dangerous if they decide they want children later.

3. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Really!? This seems absurd to me. How about offering free vascectomies to people with histories of cancer in their family? Better get them out of the gene pool... Really, this can't be serious. Especially as behavior patterns have as much or more to do with obesity than genetics. And being slightly obese isn't really that unhealthy.

And who would take advantage of this? "Cool,a free vascectomy just because my genes are inferior! All right!"

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just had to answer Chev, of course obesity is due to genetics. Just as hair colour and length. The only difference with obesity is that the genes dont come through unless you let them. Both appetite and how efficient your body burns energy is largely due to genetics. You still have personal responsibility but it is the same personal responsibility that a kid growing up in the projects with junkie parents have to not embark on a path of crime. It can be done but it takes a helluva lot more work for that kid than the kid from suburbia with two loving parents.

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Genes *and* environmental factors are influences. The main problem is overeating. If everyone consistently overeats, they will all become obese. Some people are more prone to it than others (they are always hungry), and become obese far easier - and this is genetic, and probably related to leptin levels.

6. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well, if it is voluntary, I don't see a problem with it. Anyone who's dumb enough to believe you can eliminate obesity by sterilizing fat people really needs to be taken out of the collective gene pool for the betterment of our society as a whole. And of course McDonald's has absolutely no responsibility in making us the fattest nation in the world. Peh.

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
  8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    OMG!!! I think I love these guys! Now that's clever.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Word to the wise. Sadly it wont have any effect whatsoever and the vast majority of the people who heard of this story in the first place will not hear about the disclaimer.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's exactly this type of irresponsible behaviour that fills the Internet with urban legends and fake stories that get handed down second-hand. The end result is only that millions of stereotypes and false impressions are left in the collective consciousness of 90% of the Internet that will never hear about how this thing was a fraud. For shame.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes, Tal, but it has the added benefit of exposing "news" media and "journalists" as hacks and will, hopefully, do something to make them a little better. Perhaps "for shame" on these authors, but, I think, a bigger "for shame" goes to those people who purport to be journalists who parrot this stuff without looking into it.

And, obviously, I'm not talking about people like us that find an interesting link and post it. I'm talking about the people who report "news" in some kind of official capacity and who do not do the basic things necessary to vet a story (Dan Rather???).

12. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't know... I did a quick google search using some of the keywords (california, obesity, eugenics), and I didn't turn up a single real news source, credible or otherwise.

It did turn up dozens of blogs and forums though. I think I might be agreeing with Tal on this one. I think these guys might be more part of the problem than the solution.

13. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I mean, look at ArtEChoke's avatar; you just know he was particularly concerned...

14. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Hey! The avatar doesn't even have genitals to begin with!

Put that in your cap and stick it!

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought the site was great.

I seem to recall a joke article published in a medical journal that discussed the dangers of milk. The article emphasized the ridiculous nature of some tests and conclusions drawn -- but was taken seriously by some. I wish I could find the article, but it was about intravenous ingestion of milk into lab rats. One of the comments was how after injecting a liter of milk in the rats they became lethargic and unable to move. A significant number of rats even died. What a hoot! I can just imagine these rats blown up like balloons wiggling their feet like in cartoons. The authors received several requests from 'concerned medical professionals' for more detailed information.

We may have discussed another great site on here before:

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Purely educational websites that smack down greedy journalists looking for a quick score are just fine with me.

From the FAQ page of DHMO:
    One ditz legal assistant in California actually got a ban of styrofoam cups on the city agenda because there were trace amounts of dihydrogen monoxide in styrofoam. Priceless.

Tal: In your efforts to be diligent in reporting the oddball things that happen around the world you were taken for a ride.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.