1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

CRPG in the making, Need YOUR help!!!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by inlook, Jun 28, 2001.

1. inlook Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hello you all! Prepare for a long story... :)

As many of you know Origin have an CRPG that is called Ultima Online, now, they take a monthly (yearly) fee for it in order to allow it's users access to the "online world". So, The funny part is that some programmers in two teams (sphere and UOX3) have made Ultima Online servers that let private persons HOST their own Ultima Online shard (world).

This sound strange, so let me take it slow: If you own the Ultima Online Client that allow you to PLAY on Origin's Ultima Online Servers, then you simply can DOWNLOAD a server (UOX3 or Sphere) and host your OWN world since the CLIENT has ALL the MAIN data that is needed for the operation, the ONLY THING that the SERVER do (even Orings) is the HOSTING of connections and accounts and itemlist + worldstats, and THAT is it... so:

I AM NO PROGRAMMING an entire NEW world that shall consist of the Underdark and City of Amn and some other thing, BUT:

I need MORE FACTS on the Fareun world, so please, if you have any documentation you are willing to send me about the world, especially Underdark, then PLEASE send me it all on: inlook@mail.ru

What makes me do this with the UO engine is simple: it's the BEST one to really give people a feel on HOW it SHALL be in an WORLD, i.e, you can be a trader, warrior or magican and REALLY have the FEEL to it... please visti www.uo.com and read about the world and functions, ok, since ALL of them are in MY world to...

MY JOB is to make the world (hardcode it), and the "skeleton" is done, all CODE are in place, now I only need the "documentation" for FAREUN and UNDERDARK (and it's Drows).

If you want to be a part of this, then please write me, as you can aid me with the general programmin like putting out threes and flowers in the world and "spawnpoints" for monsters and material.... ohh, it's a LARGTIME project, but if you allready OWN a Ultima Online copy, then that's all you need + some time :)) I'll just want to say this to:

THIS WORLD WHEN IT IS DONE is something I'll put out 100% free for ALL the communtiy, i.e. it is 100% LEGAL since we DON'T use ORIGINS SERVER or their MUL file (the one that contains the world), and since you OWN your OWN copy of Ultima Online Client, then it's ALL 100% legal, so, the MAIN fact is that I WANT to FULLFILL the BAAL saga with a PERMANENT status that is evolving ALL the time, not ending with a Throne of Bhaal, I WANT MORE!!!!! And when I am done here, then WE will have an 360 day open Farun...... now anything that needs a sequel every year :)

So, send anything you have to: inlook@mail.ru and be a part of the magic!!

The very Best regards

Inlook

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A few quick things. Have you heard of the NeverWinter Night game. It does what you are talking about. Different engine - same concept. http://www.alandfaraway.net/ ALFA is creating FR with this engine. Just thought I'd let you know.

As for Docs on FR here is some info. http://www.forgottenrealms3d.com/ If you want all the info you could always buy the FR book for D&D plus there are also countless websites out there for FR.

I hope that helps a little.

3. inlook Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Thanx! :)

Ohh, yes, I know a little about Neverwinter... but (yes... I will go to the URL's), in the UO engine you can have 100+ players, and that IS NOT POSSIBLE one Neverwinter sorry to say... of course I think it's very flexible of what I have heard, but in UO engine one can make a VERY VERY HUGE WORLD, and on Neverwinter it's more or less "modules" that are BIG, but not HUGE like in UO...... however, some aspects are of interest in Neverwinter, BUT, you don't have BANKING (might have been addes) in Neverwinter, in UO you have:

1. Real job's, like woodcutter, farmer e.t.c. i., you can prossess the wool and make clothes... and so one, and that is VERY important since you can actually have guilds and mayors of towns... it take time to explain it all, but i have EVERYTHINg that UO have on their SERVER :)) yupp, and ALSO I have some EXTRAS that THEY dont have :))))

So, in the long run, I will maybe run booth, but, the UO engine is HERE to stay since it are TWO versions that run on the SAME module, on that is 3D (semi 3D) and one that uses 2D, so it is MORE CRPG over it that "plain" 3D action CRPG's like Neverwinter :)

Still.... I like all suggestions, and now i will examine the URL's, and I am of course open to more suggestions... later I might RIP the Diablo hompage and do it to the one for my SERVER :))))))

Hope to hear from you all later on! write me also on: Inlook@mail.ru

Ther Very best Regards

4. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'm not sure sure how much time you have spare, but if you want to find out about thew drow, I'd suggest reading the Dark Elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore (the first 2 books at least). These give a good view into the life of the Drow.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 07, 2001).]

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Inlook,

I guess it's a matter of opinion but NWN does have some excellent qualities that UO is lacking. I think the key is what do you want from your game. Games like UO and EQ are more stat driven power-gamer realms. It's mostly about your level, skills and items. I have not played UO or EQ but I hear - correct me if this is wrong - there is a lot of PKing and a overall lack of role-playing.

The beauty of NWN is that the game allows for a DM. The DM can design and run adventures for the player in real time. No more repetitive quests like in EQ. No players standing around spawning points waiting to kill more monsters to get XP. Is that what role-playing is about?

If you have a adventure made and run by a real person there is more creativity and originality in the game. You have someone (the DM) to provide balance. Role-playing games be they table top, live action or computer based should be about interaction. The better a CRPG does to reach this goal the better a game I think it is.

But this is only my opinion you may disagree. What type of game do you wnat to make? A meta-gamers dream or a role-players fantasy?

6. inlook Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Hello...

Yes, I am NOT a friend of Origin's Ultima Online, in fact, you are correct on a lot of aspects you tell, even without playing the game...

Please note: I have made HEAVY MODIFICATIONS in the general code, and the FIRST thing is that every three and shrub is PUT in there MANUALLY and not on some random software generator... In fact: I have seen a LOT of stupid ERRORS in UO, BUT: the ENGINE is FAR FAR FAR BETTER for my world then Neverwinter Nights since I can go into the smallest zero in the code and "correct" things... hehe, I CAN'T do that on Neverwinter nights :( BUT, What I will do for players in my SERVER/WORLD (that everyone can DOWNLOAD and host by their own) is:

A "dynamic" world that DON'T is an ACTION CRPG, NO WAY <--- HERE, you can "LIVE" in the world, and it's NOT about "stats" and "exp tables", here it's JUST "adventure".

As a programmer I have the POWER to implement the things that MUSt be there for it to have the FEEL, and I am taking ANY suggestions and are ONLY limited to the "hardcoded" engine-compatiblity with the "clients", and sorry to say give me ONE HUG limitation: I can't have any races that are playable by "clients" other than: Human, Elf and Drow :( BUT, I can "hack" the script-system (not hardcoded) to have "GM'S" to "play" as monsters... hmm... OK... ok, I CAN LET PLAYERS be "monsters"... ok,,,, I will think about it!!! :)

So........... I maybe would need a "TXT" or "DOC" version of:

Dark Elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore (the first 2 books at least).

If possible that is.... :)) send them to: inlook@mail.ru (I will give you CREDITS in the game for it, be so sure, ehh, I WILL of course not write that you DID send me the books in DOC/TXT format since it's not 100% legal, hehehe :)

OK.... but I must go now, but as you all know: - I take any suggestions!!!!

The very best Regards

Inlook

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Good luck! As far as finding more information on Faerun maybe you should browse all the books that you get in the BG1 and BG2, there are some intersting histories and stories in them. I think ShadowKeeper could help in putting the books in your character's inventory so you wouldn't have to go through the game and find them all... I'm not much for all this tech stuff ;)

8. inlook Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I have them in TXT format... but, hmmm, not much to go on really..... still... If anyone care to send me documentation in TXT or DOC format, then it's 100% og by me... hey, I can't "read" a plain book, but a "digital" file is okay... :) my e-mail is: inlook@mail.ru

thanx!

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.