1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crossbows and Feats

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Master of Nuhn, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got some noob questions about feats and their use for (repeating) crossbows.

I'm gonna say some things of how I think some things work, but I could be terribly wrong. And that's what I have you for: Tell me the faults, please.

Let's say I have a level 9 human fighter with Rapid Shot, Shot on the Run, and some more.

Rapid Shot
    Usually a level 9 fighter could get 2 attacks per round (+9/+4). But since loading a heavy crossbow takes a full round action, it seems impossible to get both the attacks in the same round.

This would be possible with a repeating crossbow. You get 5 bolts in a clip and you can shoot twice in a round, since you can use both your attacks because you dont have to load.

Rapid Shot would be nonsense for a heavy crossbow (because you have to load it), but you could use it with a Repeating Crossbow.

Am I right about Rapid Shot?

Shot on the Run
    PHB says something like: "you can move both before and after your attack, as long as your total distance does not exceed your speed"

A humans speed is 30ft. So when using Shot on the Run, I could run 10ft, shoot and then run my other 20ft. But I can't combine it with a double move.
    But could I get multiple attacks when using Shot on the Run? Like: Run 10ft, shoot, run 10ft, shoot and run an other 10 ft. I used both my attacks (with a repeating crossbow) and didn't move more then 30ft. Or is that combining a full round action (multiple attacks) with your movement and thus not possible?

Other thing:
    Loading a heavy or repeating crossbow is a full round action. Is there a feat or an other way to reduce that time? Like Rapid Reload in NWN etc?

I've got some more ahead, but if you could help me with this, I probably have enough answers.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

In the Sword and fist there is a feat called "Faster Reloading." You never guess what that one do. :D

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I'm pretty sure you can use manyshot on a repeating crossbow.

combining fullround attack with moving is not possible. But your first example is right, you can move x distance, shoot, and move remaining x distance of your total move distance for a move action.

I think Rapid Reload exists in one of the supplement books, basically it reduces the time required to load a xbow by a partial action.
    (light xbow becomes free action to load, and heavy xbow becomes move action).

maybe it's called faster reload, I dont remember the exact name.

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Rapid Shot should be okay with a repeating crossbow, since Rapid Shot is just notching arrows or firing the bolts at a faster rate.

Manyshot can't be used with a crossbow, since Manyshot is firing two arrows in one shot (impossible with crossbows).

Since using Rapid Shot requires a full-round action, Rapid Shot and Shot on the Run do not work in conjuction. This is what Manyshot is for. Still, with SotR, you can move and fire and then move again with a repeating crossbow.

If I were, I'd just go for Martial Weapon Proficiency (longbow), since you can add your Strength bonus to damage, and don't have to waste time loading, but, hey, that's just my perspective.

The feat in S&F is called Rapid Reload. I know it turns loading a light crossbow and a hand crossbow from a move-eq action to a free action, but I'm not sure what it does to loading a heavy or repeating crossbow.

5. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

reduces them by one category, but still useless for more than one attack per round. At least I'm pretty sure on that :)

Yeah, Rapid shot, sorry (thought it was the same feat).

You need might bows for strength bonus on bows, however in case of strength penalty (if you have one) crossbow is a choice to be considered. If have strength positive, then as Oaz, there's no point in it.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks, you all. :thumb:

I know a (Mighty Composite) Longbow is a better choice for such matters, but I was just wondering about the crossbows, how it all worked and such.

I think the regular (non-cross)bows are a bit to 'elvish' for this character. I'm working on a char that feels more for crossbows, it better suits my char for some reason. I don't know why, though. Probably a sniper-thingy in him I like to see.

An other question:
    Could you use a wooden crossbow bolt as a stake to kill vampires? I doubt so, but in fact a wooden bolt seems to be some kind of stake....

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

If he rolled good enough for the wooden bolt to pierce the Vampire's AC and good enough to actually strike where intended. It'd work, however it'd have to be a crit or close to it(imho) in order to strike the heart.

If succesfull, that would instantly slay the vamp. Be sure to destroy the body before removing the stake/bolt, because if you do that without destroying the body, the bloodsucker will come back to ... undead :p

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31

You can use a bolt as a stake to put it through a vampire's heart, since I think bolts are made out of wood and not metal (the shafts anyways).

But I believe that in the spirit of the rules, you'd have to first make sure the vampire is unconscious (sleeping or reduced to 0 hp and fled to its coffin). That's just my opinion, since I think that's it'd be too easy to just roll high enough and instantly kill the vampire.

Undead are immune to critical hits, and a critical hit usually means you've hit a target in a vital spot. This is pretty weird for vampires, since you'd think that hitting them in their face would hurt more than hitting them in their foot, but hitting specific parts of the body isn't covered by the rules.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    BTW, I think vampires don't like iron and silver, so even a partially metal bolt should do well. Guess no one would have problems with a completely wooden bolt through a vampire's heart.

10. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Yeah, sorry, that was what I ment....

Well, thanks. You've all been a good help.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.