1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crom Faeyr

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by nior, Apr 11, 2002.

1. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG]
    1. how far into the game would you have to go before you would be able to get the components for forging crom?

2. (for non-solo gamer) would you have 1 great weapon or 3 good equipment? why?

3. to forge CF or not to forge?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You'll have all the components to make Cromwell forge the silly Crom when you leave the underdark. But don't build it! Crom stinks! It's a waste of valuable strength enhancers and it makes gaming too easy, especially when you use it like some goons: in the offhand when dualwielding :rolleyes:

IMO it's the most useless weapon there is in BG-2 SoA - anyway, I admit it could make sense to use it when soloing, however, even then I wouldn't build it. :flaming: Crom sucks! :flaming: Instant kill and str-25 is for cheating cowards only :p

Yesterday night my lvl-21 & str-12 halfling priest of Lathander crushed Bohdi and her funny goons solo in melee/ undead turning, using the spells bless, defensive harmony, holy might, just magic and draw upon holy might to set her str and con to 24, and her dex to 24. She also got a fighterlike THACO and a number of additional hitpoints, plus maximum damage each hit due to just magic. When the spells wore off she casted sanctuary and repeated the trick. She had an AC of -15 or so and with boom of Lathander and improved haste she had 4 attacks of 28 damage each hit using the unimproved hammer of lightning. IMO no properly played cleric needs crom (even weak Viccy doesn't: Why using Crom when you are easily able to generate all the str and power you need with a few well placed spells?), nor does any fighter.
    IMO Crom is for wannabe-powergamers and the clumsy gamer, who doesn't knows how to play his chars properly or to kill a oh-so-terrible troll or golem ... :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited April 11, 2002).]

3. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I use Crom Faeyr most of the times.
    You need
    Gauntlets of Ogre Power, found in Planar Sphere.
    Hammer of Thunderbolts, found in the Mind Flayer lair in the sewers under Temple District. You need the Sewer Key from iirc his name correctly Lazok. Lazok is in Firkraag's dungeon in Windspear Hills.
    Girlde of Frost Giant Strength, found in the Kua-Tao lair in Underdark. Summon something before the giant statue inside the lair.

Go with these to Cromwell in Docks. It costs 10000 gold though.

My Kensai/Mage now has Crom Fayer, Celestial Fury, Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Wizardry, Amulet of Power, Cloak of Protection +2, Robe of Vecna and he is a lvl 35 mage and I'm just about to go to Forest of Tethir :D.

Cheers.

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I have to agree with Ragusa, CromFaeyr is silly :) With it you can make any badly built character a master of destruction. You don't need CromFaeyr when you Solo, it can be done just fine without.

Edit: Whoops, ToB material :)

[This message has been edited by Faragon (edited April 11, 2002).]

5. spetznaz Gems: 13/31

Yeah, I killed Kangaxx, all Dragons so far, liches, everything without Crom Faeyr.
    But I wanted it anyway...

Cheers mates.

6. Llandon Gems: 13/31

Veteran

"Why using Crom when you are easily able to generate all the str and power you need with a few well placed spells?), nor does any fighter. IMO Crom is for wannabe-powergamers and the clumsy gamer, who doesn't knows how to play his chars properly or to kill a oh-so-terrible troll or golem ... "

This may be a silly question, but if you can generate all the strength and power you need with a few well placed spells, what is so wrong with saving yourself a little time and energy by using Crom? Lets face it, by the end of the game you should be powerful enough to kill just about anything anyway. Crom just saves time by killing them a little faster, and keeping you from casting the same spell combo over and over again. It's not like you can get the damn thing at the start of the game.

7. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Llandon,
    it's a question of professional pride: Every unskilled idiot can use crom or sucessfully play a char dualwielding Corm with C'Fury. ":whoa: My bladesinging kensai ... ahem ... hammering ... ahem ... anyway ... has 4 attacks per round @ str-25 and C'Fury stuns ever second hit ... :rolleyes:"

But you need to know how the spells work to do it with spells - that's IMO much more challenging - and there always is the danger that someone dispells your combat support magic and the spells have a limited duration so you have to hurry in combat plus the fact that you only have a limited number of spells ... therefor not using Crom is IMO much more fun and much more satisfying. And that's exactly why I dislike Crom and why I never use make and Crom.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually you should first see who spits on Crom.

As I see all spitters are pallieplayers who never recruit Viccy in the party.

Now compare pallie "not overpowered" weapon so called Holy with Crom.

Carsomyr:
    Damage: 1D12+5
    Speed: 4
    +5 damage to chaotic evil opponents in addition to other bonuses
    Dispels magic whenever the sword strikes an opponent
    Equipped Ability: 50% Magic Resistance

Crom:
    Damage: 2D4+3
    Speed: 1
    grants 25 Strength
    kills Stone Golems, Clay Golems, Ettins and Trolls

Now tell me, which weapon between these two is overpowered here?

Oh, if you question Crom's instant kill - Carsomyr has it too! Carsomyr instantly kills ALL creatures who's gender is illusionary. Don't ask me which creatures are these, I always sell Carsomyr so how could I know?

And as I've always said about Crom: you have to solve some puzzles, perform some quests, deal a dragon, five cambions, complete Plannar Sphere and bunch of Mind Flayers and plus pay money to get this weapon forged. And when do you get it? What a surprise: in chapter 6 when there is no troll any more after you dealt those in previous search for Crom's "ingredients". What you can find are some golems in Elven City easily dealt even without Crom. And if that weapon is not a proper prize for real adventurer who wants to perform every single quest in the game, then what is?

And Carsomyr? Kill a single dragon and you have it! And without paying a single coin. And what's even better, all that in Chapter 2!

I will continue to support Crom. Sorry.

9. Ragusa

Media:
    I don't use Carsomyr either, though playing a pally - it's just too large for my purposes, yes and too powerful. I have more fun with my standard issue armory (Blade of searing, Jhor the bleeder, Skullcrusher, Namarra, Flametongue and Flail of the Ages) and str-21 ... :p

And beat me, I have stopped using C'Fury rercently too ... I have no use for it anymore :D :p
    Besides, one of my halfling pallies romanced Viconia and turned her good in the addition :p

10. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Ragusa,

Any unskilled idiot can also cast:

"spells bless, defensive harmony, holy might, just magic and draw upon holy might"

I have never used Crom, but in my current game I am considering it. I want to get all of the items first and then decide.

I just don't see why you feel so strongly. As Extremist pointed out, it is merely one overpowered weapon in a game that contains several.

You have said that you don't use CF or Carsomyr. How about the upgraded Mace of Disruption? Equalizer?

Your venom on this topic is surprising. Idiots? Cheating cowards? How is it a cheat?

Play the way you want. If it makes it more fun (or easier) for someone to use Crom, then have fun with it.

11. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well Extremist, I don't support Carsomyr either for that matter :p

CromFaeyr, Carsomyr, CelestialFury and the like are all on my: "They-make-good-money,-else-I-wouldn't-pick-em-up" list. ;)

12. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

1. Almost to the end.
    2. Three pieces of good equipment, I can give them to three characters and boost them, instead of just boosting a single character. (Unless you by 'great weapon' and 'good equipment' mean Crom Faeyr and the items needed to make it, I'd pick Crom anytime.)
    3. Do it. It's a nice weapon.

And I don't see which person qualifies more for a cheating coward: one who uses an in-game item meant as a nice surprise if you manage to get all the items needed to construct it, or one who ignores racial restrictions and claims that it isn't cheating. :rolleyes:

13. Ragusa

Media:
    AFAIK I once wanted to accuse Silroth to be a cheating coward ... for using healing potions ... :D :evil: so settle down :D

This topic is slightly getting out of hand, not at least, I admit that, as a result of my ranting on the silly Crom. Well, use it if you like it - I dislike it and I don't use it and quite probably I won't change my mind :D I never wanted to insult anyone (though I might have, when I interprete some of the replies correctly) - so cheer up :holy::wave::1eye:

EDIT: ... and it's NOT a nice weapon ...

14. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think it's overrated. Unless, for whatever reason, you think it's an appropriate role-playing strategy to put a *hammer* in the hands of a "sword saint."

15. C'Jakob Guest

Carsomyr is indeed an overpowered weapon, the main reason for being so is the 50% MR. As for Crom, it's incredibly overpowered, as some have stated, but my main gripe is how it's wielded. A Warhammer with a katana? I can't imagine people wielding something like that, especially a kensai.

Now SotM, there's a weapon. ;)

[This message has been edited by C'Jakob (edited April 12, 2002).]

16. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I think with a 25 strength, you could wield a telephone pole like a katana.

17. C'Jakob Guest

Well, that makes sense, BTA, but the two weapons just don't seem to go together. One's a dwarven artifact, and one's a powerful, elegant sword from the far east.

18. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

And if they were the two best weapons that you had, why wouldn't you use them? Because it looks silly? Or doesn't appeal to you aesthetically?

19. C'Jakob Guest

Neither; a warhammer and a katana combination just seems weird to me. But, hey, if that's what you like, and it is indeed very powerful, then go ahead and use it. You just might get strange - but jealous - looks from all the other adventurers in Faerun. :)

20. nior Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] wow, can't you guys be more open minded? :) (forgive me for saying that, didn't mean to offend anyone). i liked extremists' comparisons and the "CF as a reward for the troubles of acquiring it". and yea, volar too, good straight answers but to straight :).

i have a dual f/t. dualed to thief while at level 9 fighter (i didn't want to get the extra advantages of the fighter, i think most of you guys would want to dual at level 12 or 13). i'm gearing him up for bone dagger and firetooth (this weapons seemed to get my interest for this game).

crom, i'm on the crossroad of deciding on having it and trimming my party to 4, or have a full party without crom (distributing the 3 components to my party members). btw, should i choose crom, it's going to go to anomen. it's a goody-goody party.

with regards to cheating. if it's part of the game, it's not cheating. if it's in the game it is meant to be used. however, since it's only a game, and we as the players always have the rights to say what is cheating and what is not... but always limit it to our own game.

thanks for the advise and the fun of reading them. i hope there are other comments out there.

[This message has been edited by nior (edited April 12, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.