1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Creative ways to kill a paladin

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Rotku, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

[​IMG] Resulting from a talk in the chatrooms between me and Aik. What are some creative ways for a PC to kill a paladin? Could be anything like brushing some dust of his armor with an electified hand, or (another example was planned to go here but my mind stopped working again :( ).

It would be great to have some ways a good or nutral party can kill a paladin, not just evil parties.

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Chuck him in the water then cast lighting bolt while he's wearing full plate!

Or just chuck him in the water while he's wearing full plate. Then you can use him to cross a particularly dangerous acid pool or something.

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Dammit! The electrified hands were my idea!

Set a spring (or several) beneath a rock and tell them to go look over the edge of the cliff. When they step on it...

4. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

kill him in the name of your god`?

I have a pc who does(did rather since I dont have a game to play her in *whine*) that often :D

as for neutral and good parties, hmm...

self defense is probably the easiest, as for the actual combat there's a lot of ways. Could just fight a pally as if he was a regular fighter.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Rust Monsters (MM) and lots of Ungol dust (DMG). Be sure to keep a safe distance, and don't inhale.

For a less expensive measure, do either of the following:

-Use Summon Monster ? or (Lesser/Greater) Planar Binding to get a good outsider to do your bidding. Have that outsider attack the Paladin. If the Paladin takes no preventive measures, it's likely you can kill him off. If not, he loses his Paladin-hood (and you become actually "Gooder" since Summoning or Binding Good outsiders is a Good act).

-Charm or Dominate him into killing a nonevil creature for no reason. He loses his Paladin-hood. Charming may be difficult, however.

Once he's lost his Paladin abilties, make sure he's away from a priest capable/willing to cast Atonement on him. Then go in for the kill. Disease, Fear effects, and Spider or Centipede poison is recommended.

Note that similar ways cannot be used to get rid of a Blackguard, because Blackguards do not have a code to violate, and therefore can't lose their special Blackguard abilities/qualities.

[ December 05, 2003, 04:08: Message edited by: Oaz ]

6. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Simple: Hire a neutral barbarian and fighter. The paladin then gains little from his WILL save bonuses and divine powers.

In a straight-up melee fight, a fighter or barbarian of equal level should trounce a paladin.

Mercenaries are not cheap, but they're convenient.

7. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Seduction by a Succubus! :> Not only will he fall, but he'll have a great time doing it! :p

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Mercenaries are also not terribly creative...

I'm thinking that the paladin should be humiliated before being killed, or implicated in doing something evil. Convince him that there will be a peasant revolt in the cause of rightiousness, maybe bribe some people (along with soldiers). He leads the bribed peasants on an attack on the castle/whatever and is captured and killed as a traitor or troublemaker. Probably a good idea if it's a new city which the character knows only a little of, which is only what you tell him.

9. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I think Shura is on the money. He 'is' insulting the Paladin, showing him that he's nothing without his divine powers.

10. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    You: cast Suggestion
    Paladin: fail saving throw (well just hope he does)
    You: I asure you that the only way to get the demon out of him* is the slice his troath with your bastard sword!
    Paladin: That...That must be true! I'll try

The Paladin kill an innocent and you find it very funny :evil:

Paladin: Is the demon out of his body?
    You: Yes but he's now in the priest body go save him!
    Paldin: Have at thee foul demon
    Priest: Wh...What are you doing?!
    Paladin: Don't try to fool me Demon!
    Priest: Wha...What!? I'm no demon! Stop that!
    Paladin: Foul creature you shall suffer my wrath!
    Priest: No..NO!! *Diety* Help thy faithfull servant!

The Paladin now killed the priest before you, youy find this enternening for a while now is the time to finish this!

You: PALADIN! Bow before my might!
    Paldin: I bow before your might master
    You: Exelent now Slay anyone who pass near you!

The paladin does, he murdered about 13 person, now delighted by this, you think it's time to cancel the spell and use that finger of death spell you had memorized...

The Spell wore off

Paladin: Wha...What has happen there?! Why I'm convered with blood...who killed all those person?!
    You: (You glare at him laughing loud) Well You...
    Paladin: ...

You cast the finger of death spell and now he's death

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

11. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Just wondering Ofelix, is French your first language?

12. Shura Gems: 25/31

@Abom: Right on. Looks like you were the only one sharp enough to get it.

Divine Grace/Smite Evil/Holy Avenger? Ha!

*Rage*, generic enchanted Greataxe equal in monetary value to a Holy Avenger : crushed paladin.

*Improved Disarm*, *Improved Trip*, *Weapon Specialization*, *Improved Sunder*, *Improved Critical*, *Spring Attack*, generic enchanted spiked chain or greatsword: paladin lying on his back with his Holy Avenger smashed into pieces and his lungs perforated.

Of course, said Fighter and Barbarian must be neutral in alignment.

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31

In my opinion, the Fighter and/or Barbarian isn't the best idea since you'll end up trading a lot of blows (Paladins have fairly high AC, as they stereotypically deck themselves out in full plate and a large steel shield, which is AC 20 right off the bat). Not to mention that their equipment isn't easy to Sunder, nor are they easy to trip or disarm. Eventually, the Barbarian will get winded if the battle lasts too long. The Paladin can keep going because of its high AC, decent HP (not as good as a Barbarian, but high AC balances it out), and lay on hands.

Even if the Paladin was fighting an evil Barbarian and Fighter, there wouldn't be much of a change (just Smite Evil), so the whole neutral mercenaries thing doesn't work out too well in the end. The Paladin's divine powers make him resistant to mostly supernatural effects (fear, disease, whatever requires a saving throw).

Note that I'm assuming that it's more or less a fair fight between the Pally and the mercenaries (the mercenaries are each, say, three levels below the Paladin's level, and everyone's at full health, spells, etc.).

I still think that the irony of summoning an Archon to kill the Paladin is priceless, however. :D :p

14. Shura Gems: 25/31

Any fighter worth his salt can keep a paladin on his back for the entire battle until he dies provided the holy tin can does not do any spell casting and call in divine helpers.

And a holy avenger sword is no more difficult to sunder than any enchanted weapon equal in value to it.

15. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Here's a classic: Use a can opener.

16. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Well, sure, if you're talking Holy Avenger Stuff (which is for, like, 15th-level Paladins), you might as well just get a Sorcerer with Fly, Expeditious Retreat, and a whole bunch of destructive Evocation/Transmutation spells (The SR 15 is negligible, really, since with a Holy Avenger, the Sorcerer doing the task is probably going to be at least 12th-level, and there's always Spell Penetration).

17. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Pelt him with crossbow bolts and have a horde of children slaves as a shield! Muaahahahaha :evil:
    To be extra evil kill one child every 20 seconds that he doesn't stand out in the open for you to shoot at him :D

18. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Heh, yep... step one: Get a baby of some sort
    Step two: thell the pally to jump on his sworrd or the baby gets it
    Logical conclusion, dead Paladin. :rolleyes:

19. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Get your paladin player a dying friend. On his death bed, the friend begs an oath from the paladin that he will protect his daughter, adoptive daughter, younger sister or like.

Yea, you guess right. Make him become her defender, gaurdian, father figure, teacher, idol. He is too wise not to know how it may end up, but too goody to act on the knowledge, let alone hurt her feelings. He gradually overcomes all doubts and reservations about getting in that relationship (for so goody he is :rolleyes: ).

Yes, another right guess: so soon as he falls in the trap, you get them in a city, a court, whatever. Make her betray and disdain all he's taught her and betray himself in all the roles he's hitherto played, from idol to defender. He didn't slept with her because she was so young and innocent, so make her screw with (eer, fall in true deep love of her life with :rolleyes: ) the first ill-reputed arrogant goon she sees, preferably Isaea Roenall type. Needless to say, her Sweetheart treats her like a slave (and love slave) all the time and she's more than just happy with that. Needless to say, she mocks and ridicules the paladin in public when he tries to intervene. So does her Sweetie. The only moment when she shows a different attitude is when the Sweetie challenges the paladin and even the lass isn't naive enough not to know it's a death sentence, so she begs him to decline. He does, suffering another humiliation.

Hmm... your talent for guessing astonishes me. You get it right. Abduction, what else. Not that anyone actually has to force her to go (so the pain would be even greater). A brief show of contempt, genuine hate and, surprisingly, humiliation when he tries to reason with her. Throw him in some mud when he tries to stop them, unarmed, and make half the town laugh at him.
    Hmm... you must be a genius: it's time to remind him of his oath. You bet.

If you're truly evil, you may also make his feeling of guilt let him not sleep ("X punishes me for my evil", "it was but a child" etc). Make him lose his powers as a result of his faith dropping - just because he sees himself too unworthy to use the gifts from gods, they simply won't work, or of an evil spell. That will make him think he deserves what he gets and even more than that.

Brilliant, isn't it?

[ December 10, 2003, 17:15: Message edited by: chevalier ]

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Not if what you're after is a quick way to put everyone out of their misery, it isn't. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.