1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Could 'CSI' hinder police?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Shoshino, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    everyone must have heared of the CSI tv program and the range of games and merchandise that followed.. ive played the games recently and its given me insight into the methods used by detectives to solve crime, likewise the program shows realistic crime scenes and all show the mistakes made by suspects...

so i wonder, could someone who has plays these games and studied the program create a perfect crime?

2. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Good question, though perfect crimes are pretty hard - most of us aren't that methodical or smart or foresightful, and if we were, there would probably be no need to do the crime since we could reach the goal legally.

But I can tell you for sure that CSI hinders prosecutors mightily. The son of a friend is an assistant prosecutor in another state and has many stories of juries who become reluctant to accept the evidence that real-life police work can realistically produce - they want the kind of miracles you see on CSI. In fact it's becoming one of the jury screening questions, I understand: do you watch CSI? Not an automatic exclusion but if the prosecutors know jury members watch it they know they'll have some extra explaining to do.

In that sense it may already be helping the ordinary rather stupid criminal escape conviction.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Maybe not perfect, but you don't really need perfect to get off with murder. Just reasonable doubt... I've read a while back how the use of bleach to destroy forensic evidence by the murderers has skyrocketed since it's been shown on CSI that careful use of bleach after the murder can pretty much destroy all forensic evidence, making it next to impossible to collect any useful crime scene evidence. So teaching murderers how to clean up after their crime is definitely a bad thing.

4. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually, I seem to recall that CSI and similar shows have already caused some problems, but not in that way. It had more to deal with the fact that even when the case is 100% sure - such as someone was shot, there was only one person besides him in the room and the gun has his fingerprints - lawyers and other people might still request extensive, costy additional research.
    Still, I do not doubt that people have already tried and will try to copy methods shown in the show. And I do not doubt that most have worked. And as such, as Tal said, it cannot be a good thing.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have already read that CSI has hindered police because the members of juries believe that CSI is the norm for forensic investigations and so expect much more in the evidence department during trials. Not sure if that's good or bad :)

6. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I heard a story about a guy who robbed a bank, the crime was perfect, the police had no idea who did it, but the thief was so paranoid he didn't use the money for two years because he thought someone was always following him.
    After three years he went completely mad and just ran in the nearest police station, confessed everything and asked if their 'agents' could stop following him.
    I think he's in the mental hospital now.

My point: There isn't necessarily a perfect criminal even if a perfect crime is possible.

7. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, Blackthorne that's the stuff I was talking about. Dunno where I read about it, though.

8. Alehldean

Alehldean For humanity's sake, please keep all appendages

Years before CSI ever hit the air there were books and classes showing how to catch criminals and, therefore, how to escape and get away with a crime. And they did it correctly. CSI is entertaining (I watch it every Thursday), but it is most definitely not thorough or accurate.

If you depend on a TV show to tell you how to commit the perfect crime, you're probably not smart enough to actually pull it off and think of everything the show doesn't cover.

As for jurors expecting the miracles of a show, it's just another example of entertainment being more important than education in life.

9. Shoshino

Media:
    but what i fyou were smart enough... but CSI just hammered in those fine details?

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    CSI probably does make things dificult for the police, but preforming the crime would still be nere imposable. You can't account for chance.

11. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've often wondered if the actual police departments depicted on those shows (Miami, et. al.) have the money to afford all those high-tech gadgets and lab equipment. It's a bit like the massive apartments all the stars of "Friends" had. No way could a waitress at a cafe afford an apartment like that.

12. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It probably has more effect on juries than anything, as others have said they want the concrete evidence that the CSI teams get (with imaginary instruments/technology sometimes too!).

[ January 21, 2007, 07:18: Message edited by: ChickenIsGood ]

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think it was cheaper because it used to belong to Ross and Monica's grandma. Also, they shared the rent. Besides, she started working in Ralph Lauren after :p

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I imagine it does hinder them in certain ways but I wouldn't be surprised if it assists the police too. Who knows, perhaps after seeing a CSI screening a would-be criminal rethinks his chances of getting away scott free and decides to go about life legally. *shrug*

15. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    It's given you insight into the methods the screenwriters portray detectives as using to solve crimes, certainly.

Whether that translates into insight into the actual methods used to solve crimes...

Well, I wouldn't bet my freedom on it.

16. Alehldean

Alehldean For humanity's sake, please keep all appendages

The reason the original CSI is based in Las Vegas is because their Police lab is the most advanced in the country. Also, you have to look at the size of the cities these are based in (Las Vegas, New York, and Miami), large cities that would have significant tax revenue.

Besides, shows like Forensic Files give a lot more information and present it more accurately. And without all the drama to get in the way. If you really want to learn how to get away with a crime from watching tv, watch Forensic Files not CSI.

17. Shoshino

Media:
    i have not heared of forensic files, but i chose CIS for a reason, while im well aware that there are alot of detailed documentries out there, CIS struck me as a program that inflential minds may view and think "i can do that"

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    While I agree that Forensic Files is a much more accurate portrayal of how police use forensics to solve crimes, the similarities between the two shows end with both being about forensics. While I am not a regular viewer of either program, I have seen both shows.

CSI is a drama, with fictional crimes, fictional criminals and fictional investigators. It is shown on one of the major TV networks (NBC I think), and is the most-watched Thursday night program, and one of the most watched shows overall in the US. The number of viewers is in the millions, espcially considering older episodes are probably on syndication, and shown in countries other than the US.

On the other hand, Forensic Files is more of a historical documentary. It shows how real investigators used forensics to solve actual crimes. The investigators and criminals on the show are real (they use actors for the re-enactments, but the events actually happened). In most cases, the real names of all the people involved are used (the names of the investigators and criminals are always used, but the families' of the victims sometimes do not give permission to use their real names). Also, you'll only see Forensic Files if you have a decent cable package. Forensic Files is shown on channel like the Discovery Channel and the History Channel - so even if you have a basic cable package you probably don't get to see those programs. Their regular viewship is probably in the thousands compared to the many millions of CSI.

I am of the general impression that most police departments do NOT have the type of equipment shown on CSI. Not only do they have every conceivable instrument you could ever want in a forensic lab, all of their instruments are state-of-the-art, including automated equipment in most cases. These instruments cost in some cases over $100,000. So there's no way that any police department is going to spend that kind of money to replace a current piece of equipment that's only a few years old, with the newer model. Especially considering a lot of that equipment wouldn't be used frequently. For lesser used equipment, most police departments contract that work out to private labs on an as-needed basis. The only time you actually buy the instrument is if the cost of contracting out the work exceeds the cost of purchasing and maintaining the instrument.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.