1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Copyright questions

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sydax, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] A local tv station (Antena 3) here in Spain is promoting Spiderman, as they did that with Episode IV, V and VI; the spot shows parts of the movie (Spidy swinging across buildings and all of that) so you see some buildings with Antena 3 logo, and finally, when Spidy gets to the top of a water tank (like in the movie) instead of that is the Antena 3 logo; spots for Star Wars were the same, R2 projecting the logo of A3, etc.; at the end of The return of the Jedi, Luke watches the ghost of Obiwan, Yoda and an old man representing Anakim, that's what I remember, I also saw the 'new edition' 3 times and I remember that it was the same (that scene) but the other day when I watched the 'Gerge Lucas edition' (as Antena 3 prometed the movie) that old man wasn't he, it was Anakim as in Episode III! My girfriend said that maybe is a new edition but I said that I don't think so, that this is something edited by the tv station, and here we are still wondering how things are.
    They even show Bart Simpson writing on the blackboard (before the bell rings at the begining) 'visit antena3.com' instead what he always writes; sometimes they change with some local phrases like: 'Penelope Cruz sleeps with my brother' (in Spanish).
    Is this allowed? I always say to my girfriend that if some Fox, Lucas people see this they will sue Antena 3, I really doubt that they can do that, am I right or wrong?

2. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

How did you know the respective companies were not informed about the tv station's edition?

3. Sydax Gems: 19/31

I don't know, that's what I ask, is possible for the tv station to use movies/shows scenes to promote their station?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No, they can't do it without permission.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The TV station can be sued over this. It is uncertain who would win, but it would probably be LucasArts/Fox/whoever.

6. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Anakin thing isn't something editted by the TV - it's the version from the new done-up Original Trilogy.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Sydax, don't stick a baton to your arse over a small detail like that. There is always MPAA/RIAA/whatever ready to sue any company/person over any reason (and sometimes without a reason too). Gestapo is probably knocking their door as we speak. ;)

8. Sydax Gems: 19/31

Well, is not something that I worry too much, is just that... I want justice!!.. No, really, are you sure, Aikanaro, that this is a new 're-re-done version'?; I remember when the new version came up, several years ago (the one wiht the inserted conversation bewtween Java the Hut and Solo, or the Cantina Band adds, etc.,) I ran to the stores to rent the trilogy and that Anakin wasn't the new one.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are different laws in different countries. Using a plug in a movie may be legal in Spain and neither Fox nor Lucas can do anything about it. Using altered scenes from movies for advertisements is done all the time in America -- using scenes IN movies is rather rare (and only done with permission).

The young Anakin thing is interesting -- perhaps it WAS done by Lucas to promote his latest...although 'old man' is a bit harsh....

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The new Anakin is in the latest DVD set that I have - so quite sure...

11. Sydax Gems: 19/31

So I lost the bet...
    Now that you mention, there's this new set of the trilogy, but that it's supposed to be sold to private use, not to be aired...
    Well, I'll let them do whatever they want, I'm not going to worry anymore.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.