1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Concerts

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Apeman, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] How many live concerts have you ever seen, and with live concerts I mean actually live singing, no playbacking frollicking around britney spears types of concerts. I love going to concerts but unfortunately there are so very few who can top their album by singing live.

Mine are:

U2: popmart tour -->Rotterdam
    3 times Kane (dutch rockband)
    Novastar (Belgian rock)
    Saybia

Too few, I hope to see U2 again with their Vertigo tour this summer and Coldplay with their new CD this year.

2. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

God too many to mention.

I really miss the Grateful Dead. There was NOTHING like a true Dead concert.

My first big concert was U2 in 1986.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Loads. Too many to count.

Best was Paul McCartney at Western Springs in Auckland in 1997 (I think it was 1997, maybe it was earlier than that?)

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Quite a few.

My favourites though were:

Alice Cooper
    Skunk Anansie
    Interpol
    Underworld

As I said though, I've been to quite a few, so I'm not going to list them all. ;)

5. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Three (plus a few others uninteresting ones at the festivals). Garbage, Stratovarius and Children of Bodom. Which one was 'best' I can't tell.

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Blue Oyster Cult (2), Accept (2), Scorpions (2), Gamma Ray (3), Saxon (2), Skyclad, Savatage, Alice Cooper, Running Wild, Hawkwind, Iron Maiden, Brian May, Uriah Heep, Metal Church, Virgin Steele, Vicious Rumours, Slayer, Sacred Reich, Raven, Manowar (2), Queensryche, Judas Priest, W.A.S.P., Bruce Dickinson, Megadeth, Ian Gillan, Paul Dianno΄s Killers and many others that I can΄t remember now.

7. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I can't really make a list, it's gonna be way too long. But I found some highlights:
    Monster Magnet -Afghan Whigs -Sepultura -Mercyful Fate - Ministry -Underworld -Napaml Death - Obituary - Entombed

I have been to so many gigs I can't remember half... :p

@Apeman you've seen Saybia? Are they really that good ?

[ January 26, 2005, 16:10: Message edited by: Lynadin ]

8. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Metallica (2), Megadeth (2), Maiden, Priest, Running Wild, Slayer, Machine Head, Gorefest, Manowar (2), Kreator, Grip Inc., Die Toten Hosen (first concert ever in 1986), Obituary, Sodom, Dismember, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Oomph!, Eläkelaiset (Humppah!), Fields of the Nephilim, Magnum, Deine Lakaien, Overkill, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory, Skyclad, Ian Gillan, Alice Cooper, Motörhead, etc. etc.

I can't stand concerts though. Usually some friends talk me into going there. Can't stand crowds. Can't stand sing-a-longs. I love a decent mosh pit, though. But this is really more sports than music.

Plus concerts are way to expensive now. My last one was Iron Maiden in 2003 - 52€ per ticket. Crazy.

My most memorable concert would be Eläkelaiset (finnish for senior citizen, right?). Those people were weird. They were sitting on a bench behind a table drinking beer and wodka throughout the concert. Naked at some point. Every song announced was accompanied by the sentence "It is easy... when you know exactly what you're doing". In the background they had some video clips showing band members duelling each other with shaving equipment or kicking each other into the groins... weird...

9. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Opeth with Madder Mortem in Dublin, Anathema with Wolverine in London and the following in Belfast:

Green Carnation, Primodrial, Waylander, Condemned, Revial, Vader, Nile, Sepultura, Anthrax and tons of local bands

I have also booked tickets to see Judas Priest with the Scorpions in March, I cannot wait!

I am a little jealous of the bands Darkthrone and Boc have seen.

10. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Best concert I ever saw was the Beastie Boys "Pageant Tour" show on December 13, 2004 in the silly city of Düsseldorf. Absolutely great concert, 3000 of the 7000 visitors, including me, jumping around in front of the stage for more than two hours.

Fabulous atmosphere - didn't actually expect that from a more hip-hop oriented band like them. There was much more dancing than on some punk concerts I've been to.

And then: Almost as good were Rollins Band and Sepultura (on the time they made Chaos AD).

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Way too many to recall. I don't get to as many anymore, but I love live music.

Favorites:

AC/DC - They are awesome live. I saw them in a small (8000 seat) indoor amphitheater and they still brought the explosions and the cannons. I couldn't hear right for days.

Deep Purple - I've seen these guys a couple of times, they always rock. Hard.

ELP - No cheating, they bring the whole package. Keith Emerson takes it up every time.

U2 (Joshua Tree tour) - Fantastic. Best concert I saw during college.

Yes - I saw these guys in the early 80's and then again 2 years ago. John Anderson doesn't sound quite the same, but the rest were great. 3+ hour show.

Moody Blues (a couple of times) - The vocals are not quite there anymore but everything else clicks.

Steely Dan (early 90's) - Again, fantastic.

Kiss (twice) - Can you say ASS-KICKING? Everything that you have heard about their concerts is true.

Rolling Stones (twice) - 'nuff said.

Ozzy Osbourne - Saw him with Korn as the opener. Korn sucked, but Ozzy was amazing. They played the beginning of Paranoid for about 5 minutes while Ozzy whipped the crowd into a frenzy with a water cannon. Sick.

12. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

@Lynadin

Yeah, well they did the pre-show for Kane and even though none of their instruments were tuned right they were quite good. I've got both CD's and the're great.

13. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

A load of small early 90's indy bands most people would never have heard of & I can't be faffed to recall.

Best concert is a hard choice between Reading and Glasto in 1992. Glastonbury had by far the best weather and atmosphere, Reading had the best acts but it pissed down and I spent the whole weekend soaked to the skin.

Best concert memory was Carter USM in Bristol. The doormen wouldn't let about 20 people in because we were under 18 (not that it told you there was an age restriction at the venue when buying tickets.) We flogged the tickets for a modest profit and started to leave when one of the roadies walked up & took the lot of us in by the stage door.

14. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Oh I forgot to add The Darkness. Damned good gig. Saw them at my Uni back before they had become big. Only cost me £3 to get in.

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Jack - you and I saw many of the same bands (and probably the same tours).

Like others, too many to count. Highlights -

U2 - Joshua Tree tour (I've seen them on about 4 other tours, but I felt this was the best)

Rush - Too many times to count, but the Moving Pictures tour was the best

BOC - Saw them in the 80's when they were pretty much done making new music, but they rocked

Kansas - Saw them in the late '70's and again the '80's when Steve Morse took up the guitar for them - good music with interesting lyrics

Billy Joel - He's awesome live!

Metallica - Master of Puppets and the And Justice For All Tour - 'nuff said

KISS - Saw them about 4 or 5 years ago around holloween, what a show

Moody Blues - What Jack said.

Saw the Kinks in the early '80s (the tour that featured "Come Dancing" - they rocked that night)

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Metallica at the Big Day Out last year. Absolutely awesome set. Also at the Big Day Out saw The Darkness, The Strokes, Kings Of Leon and 8 Foot Sativa (New Zealand metal band).

Megadeth. Very nice.

Tool. Excellent. Good stage performance.

Veruca Salt. I know, I know, but hey, the frontwomen were hot.

17. Fara Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I've actually only ever been to one concert (I can't stand crowds). It was a recital in Utah of various pieces of robust classical music. It included such pieces as Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, Duel of the Fates from Star Wars, Beethoven's 5th Symphony, the Imperial March from Star Wars, and several John Philip Sousa marches. It was good, but I hated the crowd.

18. Shalladeth Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don'

I don't think I've ever seen any of my favorite bands play live, but oh well. I usually only went to concerts because I was dragged along by my friends.

Ziggy Marley with the Neville Brothers
    The Steve Miller Band
    Dave Matthews Band (saw them quite a few times before they made it big)
    Primus (that was a pretty good show)
    The Connells
    Weezer
    3 Doors Down
    Verticle Horizon
    Sarah McLachlan
    Everything
    Better Than Ezra
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Third Eye Blind
    Screamin Cheetah Wheelies

Not a list I'm terribly proud of, but most were fun (cause I was mostly schnockered).

Concerts I would have loved to have been at: Rush, Pink Floyd, Lacuna Coil, Metallica, most of the concerts on DMC's and Jack Funk's lists

19. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

@dmc - I've got to see Rush. They are awesome.
    @Shalladeth - thanks for reminding me of Steve Miller. Saw him a couple of times (once at an Earth Day concert in the snow and freezing rain!). He's great live. The first time I saw him he had Eric Johnson opening and it was a great double bill. When they did "Take the money and run", they played the music of the first verse while the crowd sang the song, then they went into it. It was electric!

20. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Steve Vai and Sting are the best concerts I have seen and a whole bunch of others at some festivals Glastonbury and Slane.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.