1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Climate and politics

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by joacqin, Oct 28, 2004.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] A crazy idea has struck me. During my linguistics studies I have learnt that climate to some extent affects how we speak. In generally it can be said that the farther north you get the less people speak. It is quite confirmed in Europe but I am not sure if any studies have been done in America. My professor have talked about in general terms so I am going to assume that this applies everywhere.

The crazy idea is this, if climate affects how we speak does it affect how we think? If we look at the US there is a rather sharp divide between the conservative south and the liberal north. As every generalization it isnt all encompassing but it is there. If we look at Europe the Scandinavian countries together with the Netherlands are the most socially liberal countries on earth and the farther south you go the more conservative you tend to get. Look at Italy as a shining example with Berlusconi almost making Bush looking like a pinkie commie. If we go even further south both in Euro-Asia and America we have the extremely conservative Arabs and the strongly socially conservative latin Americans.

Is this a crazy idea or is it so that just as people speak more and more energetically the warmer the climate people get more, and more conservative the warmer the climate?

[ October 28, 2004, 17:12: Message edited by: joacqin ]

2. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I'm not entirely sure; I thought Russian was quite an elaborate language, with many more syllables required than to say the equivalent sentence in English. I'm not sure where the Russian language originated though.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, as far as the U.S. is concerned, one thing I've noticed is the further south you go, the slower people talk. I'm not so sure that people talk more in the South as much as they take longer to say what they have to say.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Well in Canada Liberal-Conservative tends to be divided on an east vs west basis (at least if the blatant differences in the federal Liberal and Conservative party election results are any indication).

Personally I would attribute this to be a mostly urban-rural factor. Farming is big business in the western half of Canada and much less so in the east. In the latest election, the few seats that the Liberals did manage to win in western Canada were almost all in the larger cities (o.k. Calgary elected all Conservatives but Calgarians are almost all a bunch of cowboy wannabees :p ).

If we look at Ontario the southern part is more urban and not surprisingly tends to be more liberal.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    But Canada is more liberal than the US no?

6. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The further north you go in Ireland the more Scottish people sound and the faster they talk. Also the South used to be more consertive (homosexuality was banned in my lifetime and I am only 23) but these days the north is more liberal.

7. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

No, I don't think so. It actually is, the higher above the sea-level, the more conservative.

The thing is, Italians are very left but equally fond of owners of great football clubs. I think Italians are even more left than Swedes and Danes. At least, Unions and stuff did immigrate with them. On the other hand, nearly all from former Yugoslavia, are rather conservative. At, the social democrats have huge number of Italians, while the SVP (right wing) has a large following amongst people from the country previously known as Yugoslavia, yet both are south. Which is quite funny and seems counter-intuitive.

More intersting is the traditional line -> Catholics are left, protestants are right and Lutherans don't count.

You also could say, the North drinks less, but then Finland gets in the way.

But I've read something about Finland. And reason, why women play such an important role in Finnish society. It's the climate that forced a lifestyle, that made women more emancipated. It had something to do with the long winters and the resulting divison of work, that was quite different from more sunny regions. But I've forgot the details (was mainly starring at the pictures, anyway).

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

On the whole I would have to agree that Canada is more liberal than the U.S. but the difference is not as great as most people would have you believe.

If we look at same sex rights - sure they are currently passed into law but it was a very tight decision and some of the Liberal party members from the west voted against it because otherwise their constituents would have voted them out in a landslide in this year's election.

If we look at healthcare - sure we have Government run universal healthcare but it seems that there are always more and more things that are not covered and we are constantly hearing arguments in favour of privitization and/or allowing a two tier system where you can pay for a higher level (or quicker) service.

If we look at tolerance towards alcohol - Canada tends to look like the most arch-Conservative bunch of prudes that you ever saw. In Ontario the government controls all sale of alcohol, if you want to buy bottles of alcohol you have to go to the government run store - and they are not open past 9 PM. Bars and restaurants can't serve later than 2 AM. Heck, in my church they have always substituted grape juice for communion wine.

If we look at welfare - I think our system is quite a bit more robust but I really have not seen facts on this. In any event, we have a lot more seasonal employment here so people tend to need it more to help when their industry is out of work.

If anything, I think the North-South argument could be made based upon colder climates leading to greater urban concentrations and more seasonal jobs.

9. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I'd have to agree with JSSB here - the North-South/Liberal-Conservative argument has much more to do with urban-rural factors than anything else. (Having lived in urban, semi-urban, and ultra-rural areas, I have seen this distinction all of my life)

Rural people tend to be much more conservative in many ways, both politically and socially - partially because of the tendency for values and beliefs to be passed down relatively untainted from generation to generation (growing up on the farm, so to speak), and partially because of the tendency for rural communities to be much more fundamentalist and holistic in their religion or spirituality. THere are, I'm sure, many other socio-economic as well as socio-linguistic factors to explain this.

10. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Catholics are left and Protestants are right? You sure you didn't mistype? My definition is:

Catholics: conservative, traditional, drunk, partying, sensual, worldly, narrow-minded.
    Protestants: progressive, sober, wordy, narrow-minded.

No wonder you find less alcohol the farther north you go. ;)

11. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.