1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cleric Multiclassing (3rd Ed)

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Faragon, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Okay, so we started our campaign yesterday, and I'm playing a cleric. (First time Roleplaying that's not behind a computer ;) ) Here are some of the details:

Faragon Feamith
    Neutral Good Halfelf
    Cleric of Correlon Larethian (Clvl 5)
    Str 13 (+1)
    Dex 13 (+1)
    Con 16 (+3)
    Int 10 (+0)
    Wis 18 (+4)
    Cha 11 (+0)

Feats: Cleave, PowerAttack.
    Weapon Focus and Weapon Proficiency in Longsword, Thanks to my diety domains. :)

I was thinking of making him somewhat like the Battleguard of Tempus in IWD2, so he does reasonably well in meleecombat. (Only then with longswords instead of axes, because of Correlon) Now I can use Bull's Strength to boost my reasonably crappy strength, but I'm not sure wether that will be enough. So I'm thinking on investing some levels in a meleeclass. Barbarian doesn’t fit in the character’s personality, and paladin isn’t possible due to the Neutral Good alignment, (And I've already shifted one up from my diety, allowed by the rules, but another shift isn't) so that leaves only the fighter. (Monk is not an option, due to the diety's favored weapon being the longsword.)

He’s a lvl 5 character, and at lvl 6 he would gain a extra feat anyway, (For being a 6th level char) so that would get me (with the fighter bonus feat) two featpoints. I want to spend one point in combatcasting, and one point (the fighter bonusfeat) has to be put in the fighter features ‘pool’ (PHB, pag 35) I’m not sure which might be benificial. Out of all Improved Critical seems good, as does Improved Initiative. Perhaps Combat Reflexes. The others don't seem that good to me, but if I miss out on something, please do tell.

Fighter’s skillpoints: It says in the PHB, skillpoints at first level (2x int mod) x4. Is charlevel, or classlevel? I'm assuming charlevel. If not, that'd be nifty :D

So three questions:

1) Is it necessary to take a meleeclass level if I want to be pretty decent in Melee? (This is dependant on who my partymembers are though, I haven't met them in the game yet)
    2) Do I gain the bonus fighter feature, and where would this be best spent?
    3) Fighter skillpoint bonus at first level (2x int mod) x 4 applies to this character?

[ December 29, 2002, 00:31: Message edited by: Faragon ]

2. MrGrouch Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

1) Clerics are pretty decent combatants already, so (to me) is is not necessary to take a level of fighter. But a level of fighter wouldn't hurt if you really plan on being in the thick of it. If you feel the Bull's Strength spell isn't enought for you, spend the ability point increases you get every four levels in strength. Slow, but permanent. And since you are a half-elf, you do not have to worry about the XP penalty.

2) As far as which fighter bonus feat to take, that really depends on what you want. Do you want to be really good with a single weapon? Or would you like to get as many attacks in as possible? Do you want to avoid being hit while swinging that sword? Or maybe just withstand the damage dealt to you? Clarify that and I will make suggestions based on my own observations.

3) The skill points you would recieve for taking the level of fighter is would be 2. You would get 2 for the level of fighter and 0 for your intelligence. The x4 multiplier would only count if the fighter level was your first of your character.

I hope this helped.

MrGrouch

3. Atreides Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Why did you put Dexterity above Charisma? I mean, my Cleric has a low Dex score but he doesn't need it because of all the armor he wears anyway and he doesn't use Rogue skills anyway so Dexterity for a Cleric is kind of a waste. You need Charisma to boost your turning ability so I'd consider doing something about that.
    Clerics are good in combat already but I added a Fighter level to mine and plan to alternate between the two and as it is right now my Cleric (follower of Tyr) at Character level 3 is pretty bad ass but then again he's one of the only fighter types in the party so he needs to have some good melee skills. Anyway, back to my point, it wouldn't hurt to put Fighter Levels in your character, he could use the Hit Point increase anyway and the bonus Feats besides. I'd probably stick to improving your character's skills with a weapon rather than focus on some of what you were talking about.
    One question: what is your character trying to do? I mean, is he going to be the party healer or is he going to focus on combat? this will determine where you put those extra ability points (put one more at least on Wisdom so your character can cast 9th level spells.)

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

McGrouch: For your question in number 2, I'd like to be pretty good with the longsword. Resisting damage would be nice, but I think if I cast some protective spells, along with my AC of 19, I should be okay.

Atreides: Now that you mention it, the thirteen would be wiser invested in Cha. I'm not sure why I invested it in Dex. Do note that this is my second experience with third edition and my first time Roleplaying, so there are some flaws. :)

I'm not sure what role he is going to play within the party yet, because I don't know what classes my other partymembers are. If they are weak or non melee characters, I want to know what to do before I'm forced to make a choice.
    I am going to spend one point in wisdom at lvl 16 at the latest, because it's not until lvl 17 that I can cast lvl 9 spells anyway. I see no reason to do this earlier, because it's not like I'll gain a +5 modifier with it. Unless of course my other partymembers are both meleecharacters, then I intend to boost my clerical abilities to the fullest. :holy: ;)

5. MrGrouch Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Ok, in no paticular order, the feats you would want are:
    - Improved Critical
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbspWould take the longsword's 19-20 threat range and increase it to 17-20
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbspYou need to wait until you BAB is at least +8
    - Great Cleave
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbspKeep dropping baddies, keep attacking his buddies
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbspYou will qualify when you get a BAB of +4 (which I think you will have if your sixth level is fighter)
    - Expertise
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbspIncrease your AC by lowering your abiltiy to hit
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbspYou do not quailify for this since you need and INT of 13+
    - Weapon Specialization
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp+2 to damage
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbspEven though you have Weapon Focus, this will only be available if you get lt least four levels of Fighter

Keep in mind that Improved Critical and Weapon Specialization are taken for the longsword, while the other apply to any weapon you can wield.

Hope that helped.

MrGrouch

[ December 29, 2002, 15:28: Message edited by: MrGrouch ]

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

there are a lot of different feats to pick. what books do you have access to? Some supplement have interesting feats, like imbueing your hit and damage with energy from using a turn attempt pr day. (can't remember the specifics, but can find it if your dm use the book).
    faiths and pantheons for the forgotten realms I think.

and a note, you are never forced to do anything. Summoning creatures can make for lack of melee abilities. A summoner can get insanely powerful at later levels.

[ December 29, 2002, 16:14: Message edited by: Lokken ]

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Mcgrouch: That helped indeed :) BAB stands for Base Attack Bonus right? So I could get Improved Critical by the time I'm level 11 Cleric. That means I would take Great Cleave if I take a fighterlevel at clvl 6.

Lokken: I've got acces to pretty much every book. (I've got a GM basically every book ;) ) I know I can put summon monsters to good use (too bad I don't get Animate Dead because of my alignment, it rocks.) however, if we need someone to melee I'd like to be able to do that myself, instead of relying on summons.

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

trust me when I say, a cleric is very much able to melee. If you look at their spells, most of them are boosters, giving you extra ac, attack, damage, saves etc.

many that you get at level 1. Else just taking a level or two of fighter will help immensely to your "firepower"

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    A High Wisdom give you more Spell, At your place I'll give +1 at level 8, better wisdom based skill better and more spell, but hey If you want to cast 9th level cleric spell you better get solo-class 3 level in Fighter won't had SO many thing, great maybe +2 BAB compared to a full time priest (great...!) maybe 12 more hit point, and you won't have weap specialization....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.