1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Choice"

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Feb 26, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Excerpt from news from one week ago in Turin:

http://www.maltastar.com/pages/msfullart.asp?an=9985

Basically, they ordered the girl under the law to have that abortion. So basically the law said the parents had the right to drag the girl to the abortion clinic and have the baby torn off her against her will.

Is that law?
    Is that a judge?
    Are those parents?
    Where's the choice?

2. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    At the age of 13, she is not fit to be a mother. I think the Judge and the Parents did the right thing. At the age of 13 she would not be able to make a rational informed choice about having an abortion so I'm glad the parents have decided for her.

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

She's already displayed her inability to make the correct choices by getting pregnant at such a young age in the first place (unless she was raped). She's under the age of 16 so in reality she has no choice in the matter. Anti-abortionists will call this hypocricy by the pro-choice lobbyists but the fact is she's under 16 and therefore by law is incapable of making a rational decision in the matter.

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    That she is unfit to mother the child is no reason to order an abortion. Adoption should have also been given to her as an option if she was opposed to abortion.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'm a bit torn about this issue. Abortion can be very traumatic. To some it's not a big deal but to others it can be mentally very damaging. Especially if the woman is depressed or mentally unstable allready before the abortion. So forcing it on someone is ethically questionable. Giving the baby to adoption would be the best option in this case in my opinion.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A woman's point of view. I have never been in the position of needing to make a decision to abort, put up for adoption or keep but have listened to many women who have had to do so.

At the moment of conception the body begins to change and the mind is part of the body. It is influenced, perhaps subtly, by the chemical changes. It is my understanding that even women who are reasonably emotional stable can be traumatized by abortion. Women who have had abortions within even the first three weeks of conception have reported definite reactions after an abortion. The process of creating a new life is cut off and the body must adjust now to this change.

Whether the girl is at 13 fit to be a mother is a moot question. Some women are fit to be mothers from an early age and others will never be fit. The girl would have a difficult time supporting the child without help from others.

I certainly would have preferred that she be given other choices. She is the one who has to live with the decision for the rest of her life.

7. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

It's good that we can decide to force someone to do something if we think it's good for them. That makes me happy. Hopefully, someday that kind of attitude will become more common and we'll be able to take the trouble of decision-making entirely out of minors' hands. They don't really need it - I mean, it's just their life.

8. Drew

Media:
    Let's be fair. 13 year olds make a lot of stupid choices. Left to their own devices, most 13 year olds I've met aren't exactly going to choose to go to school or act like responsible adults. Most 13 year olds I know (and have known) would spend most of their time playing video games and lurking in discussion boards rather than developing marketable job skills which will facilitate eating and sleeping under a roof if they are given a choice of what to do with their time. Minors are denied the rights granted adults for a reason. They don't normally make adult choices, so they don't deserve adult rights and responsibilities.

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If we're not willing to let a 13-year old girl decide for herself whether she wants to abort or give birth to her child, can we expect others, who think they are far wiser than we are, to allow us to make our own choices? Or would the self-proclaimed "experts" - politicians, judges, professors of this or that, members of the "ethical council" like we have it in Denmark - decide that we the ordinary people are just not smart enough to make crucial decisions regarding our own lives?

For our own good, of course!! After all, these people were elected, appointed or educated to "serve" us.

If we can't respect the girl's right to decide for herself, why should others respect our rights? That is what this case is really about: The right of the "wiser" to rule the "less wise". And I don't think any of us here will be given a voice in deciding who is "wiser".

10. Drew

Media:
    I have seen but one post suggesting that forcing a 13 year old to abort her child was appropriate. Terrible as it may be, this girl's parents are the ones who will be saddled with the financial burden of raising their daughter's child for the first few years of it's life, and they don't wish to take on that burden. While I don't think that they should be allowed to force an abortion, I don't think it would be fair or ethical to force them to take on a 5+ year burden on both their finances and their time because their 13 year old daughter didn't know when to say when. This issue isn't about being Pro-life or Pro-choice. It's about whether or not a 13 year old girls parents should be forced to raise a child that isn't theirs (as will be the case if their daughter is to continue to attend school as required by law).

11. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I personally don't think anyone should be forced to have an abortion, regardless of age.
    You can't blame the judge, who was merely enforcing a law, but maybe the law needs changing.
    I surely don't know what the parents are thinking - how to alienate your own child in one easy step.

However, there has been a series on TV about young mothers, and the 13 and 14 year olds certainly did not make good parents. Adoption would have been a prefered solution.

12. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    If you do not support a 13-year old's right to choose, then you accept the right of authorities - parents, courts, police, or so on - to force a choice upon her.

In this case, the forced "choice" was Abortion.

In a wider sense, you also accept the right of authorities to force their decisions upon others who may be judged not smart or wise or grown-up enough to make their own decisions. Who decides when we are smart or wise or old enough? By what standards? For example, I have found that those who would limit the right to vote somehow always consider themselves eligible. But they rarely remember that they won't decide who is eligible.

I do blame the judge for enforcing the law. He had the choice to refuse to do so, by quitting his job if necessary. He chose to enforce the law.

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I simply do not consider abortion in the same category as going to school, what to eat, should I study or play a game. To me it is obvious that both the boy and girl had no understanding or sense of responsibility since they indulged in unprotected sex but an abortion does have traumatic effects both physically and mentally.

There is much we don't know about the case but if the girl tried to commit suicide after the abortion it appears to me that she did not have proper professional counselling. Possibly other factors entered into her problems that we do not know and never will know.

Forcing the parents to raise a child they did not want is unfair both to the parents and to the child but adoption should IMO have been an alternative.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

And what if there is nobody prepared to adopt the child? Child becomes a ward of the state. State pays for their food, education, shelter etc. so the rest of the population is stuck with the financial burden (however small it may be).

I support the parents' right to make these decisions for their daughter. If she isn't going to be criminally liable for anything then grant the people who would be ultimate powers over her.

One way or another this is a horrible situation and there is no 'correct method' way of dealing with it. Although one must ask what the boy's opinion on the matter is.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

That's disgusting. To anyone who supports this: I hope you don't call yourself 'pro-choice'. If you do - stop - you're less 'pro-choice' than the most ardent pro-lifer.

It's incredible how society treats teenagers as second class citizens. Is there any other group of people that you're allowed to totally violate the body and rights of?

But hey - hail the glorious wisdom of the government and the parents - I'm so glad that they saw fit to totally **** up this girl's life.

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Monty,
    Be serious. A judge has no choice in enforcing applicable law. The citizens, including the parents, have a right for a verdict. The law doesn't seem unconstitutional, so it is applicable. The judge certainly saw it that way, else he wouldn't have spoken the verdict the way he did, and probably he also doesn't see a reason to step down only because you don't like his verdict.

Drew said something quite sensible:
    That's why a kid is in the parent's care, and exercise the kids rights for the kid. The kid can cry and scream all it wants - it doesn't take away the parent's legal right and obligation to make the decisions for her. My impression was that Italian family law is pretty paternalistic. And in this point they are not making a choice for the kid, but invoke an emergency justification to justify abortion to not have the kid have a child. If both parents are working the idea to have to care for an extra child and probably lose one income is an economical nightmare, especially when there are trifles like repaying mortages are to be considered.

Sadly, the relationship between parents and daughter will be pretty much screwed up after that, as it seems the daughter insists in having her child. As Nakia lined out, an abortion can be traumatic anyway, for a forced one that's guaranteed. There will be more trouble between them.

Still, good for the girl she's from Torino and not Sicily, I strongly prefer abortions over honor killings as a solution to unwanted teenage pregnancies.

17. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I guess it depends on whether the 13 year-old can be considered mature enough to make such a responsible decision. I think she wasn't. Yeah, it sounds hypocritical - but in many countries 13 year olds can't marry either, nor choose to become legally separated from her parents. I don't mind the government interfering then, and I can't mind it now. However, it might be good if she goes to see a councilor first and that decides if she should have the baby or not.

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

The girl was very stupid, but forcing an abortion is just sick.

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Quite frankly I see this as equivalent to rape in how screwed up it is - that it's parental and government sanctioned only makes it worse.

Keeping that in mind - I really feel like punching some of you in the face. What the hell is wrong with you that you could feel that this was a justified, humane decision?

The Shaman: 13 year olds can't marry generally - but this is far more like if the government told the parents that they could force her to marry someone that she was opposed to. Not letting people marry is restrictive - but is a whole different thing than forcing someone to do something.

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

@Aik: It is, but consider it this way: forbidding someone to marry under 13 means you have to break up any such marriage regardless of what the couple thinks of that. The law itself may not have the clause, but it is implied - the state has full right to interfere in anything that is illegal by law, and this right does not discriminate between drug traficking or child pregnancy.

Okay, I do think that forcing the abortion is controversial... but in this case, I don't know if there is a better solution. At least, unless the boyfriend's parents would be willing to support the child.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.