1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Check out my new Compy

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Dice, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] http://www.a-computers.ca/

Click on "Ready to Go" and it's the Intel Pentium in the pink column. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I already have the XP and video card. We can borrow a floppy from our old computer to boot the baby up. So what do you think? I want to play NWN2 and Oblivion on it as well as work with a number of graphics programs.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Looks good... except that it's an Intel.

IMO, I'd go with the 900 bucks Athlon X2 kit. But that's just my opinion.

3. Dice

Media:
    What's wrong with an intel? (I'm not that computer savy - someone helped me pick it out)

4. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

[​IMG] There's nothing wrong with Intel. DotW just hates them and tries to convert anyone who'll listen to the AMD cult. Nothing wrong with AMD either.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There's nothing wrong with Intel. The pink Intel will give slightly better performance than the same-price yellow AMD system, but the Pentium D will use more energy and run hotter.

You are paying somewhat more than you need to since all those systems have on-board graphics which you will simply be disabling if you want to play NWN2 and Oblivion.

To be honest, at this time you should forget Pentium D and go for a Core 2 Duo; it is worth the extra cost.

6. Dice

Media:
    Unfortunatly I've already waited a long time to save up enough for that one. Money is pretty tight these days. At least it's a good deal better than the monster I'm typing on at the moment.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What kind of graphics card do you have?

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Will she really be able to play NWN2 on that computer?

9. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Overpriced, crap, and NOT able to run NWN2 or Oblivion.

None of those can run NWN2.

For a new computer, you need at least the following if you want to run NWN2 halfway decently: Intel Core 2 Duo processor (E6400 looks good), 1gb ram (kingston's good) and a nVidia 7600GT or 7800GT graphics card. Onboard graphics cards... just aren't worth it.

At the moment AMD sucks, and if it has "Pentium" on it, it's not worth it for a gamer.

And yes, DotW, AMD sucks at the moment. Undoubtedly they will come up with something better than Core 2 Duo soon enough, but at the moment Intel is wiping the floor with AMD.

EDIT: While a Core 2 Duo isn't needed for NWN2 - honestly, it's price/performance ratio makes it the best choice.

EDIT2: Oh, right. Didn't notice you have a graphics card already. Then it might be able to run NWN2 - wouldn't still call it a good deal. At all.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As far as the processor is concerned, yes. The recommended processor is 3GHz or better and the PD 945 is 3.4 GHz.

The onboard graphics will almost certainly not be up to it, but I don't know what graphics card she is going to be using.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Hehe. My thoughts exactly.

It kills me to say so, but yes, AMD lags behind right now. That's how it is - Intel took the leads with the Core Duo, and AMD are cooking something up to overthrow Intel. And I hope they do it, and do it hard.

Memory-wise, Corsair is just as good - it's what my X2 runs.

Don't even think about running NWN2 or Oblivion with an onboard graphic card.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    And I hope that they spend the most money they ever have on developing their next chip, and once it comes out, it turns out to still be slower than the Core Duo...I'll just sit back and laugh as I watch AMD's street cred drops to 0. :shake:

As for the computer...the motherboard that come with the "pink" computer only has an AGP video card slot, so if you were ever to upgrade the video card, you'd be very limited to your choices since PCIe is the standard now.

To be honest, I would go with the "black" computer. It's motherboard supports PCIe, it has an Intel Core Duo CPU, it comes with more than twice as much hard drive space, faster RAM, and speedier LAN...and it's only $200 more. But if money is *really* tight, just don't play NWN2. :p :rolling:

13. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Hmmm. I didn't even look closely at the motherboards; I assumed they'd be modern for a new system.

Dragonfly, you better make sure that the motherboard supports the graphics card you want to put in it...

14. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The yellow one supports PCIe and it's the same price as the pink one, BUT, is AMD...
    I don't know the difference but both processors looks the same (dual core both) and to me, they both do what we want and the 'speed factor' difference shouldn't be noticed between them. For the rest, is everything the same.
    But also, we need to know what kind of graphics card you have, is AGP? is PCIe?
    If AGP, the pink is the one; if PCIe, is the yellow you need.
    Also, you have to keep in mind that PCIe is much better and as Kitrax said, is almost the standar nowadays and they are becoming cheaper. I just bought a geforce 7600GT which cost me €70.

15. Dice

Media:
    The card is a Gforce 7600. My husband opened it up and it does support PCIe cards. It will also take up to 400g of RAM.

akkk - my bad - We realized that AGP slots and PCIe slots look very similar inside a comp. Looks like we'll be selling some memory cards in the bargain finder so we can buy and new AGP card.

[ October 06, 2006, 04:15: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.