1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Chechen leader involved in assassination attempt

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Wildfire, May 9, 2004.

1. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3697715.stm

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

With all the fuss going on in Iraq, one would almost forget there's another big conflict going on. Makes you wonder why the so called peaceprotesters hardly ever raise their voices regarding this one.... not interresting enough perhaps ?

Anyway, i'm afraid this isn't going to have a happy ending.

3. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

So, the Russians have confirmed that the president has been killed, and judging by the quote from Putin, the fallout of this isn't going to be pretty.

4. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The Russians can't get over it and let Grosny simply go. Never ever, that is, not before they get so tired of losing their youth in sensless border wars. Then again, there in such a turmoil anyway, they just can't be bothered to care for their own wars. They don't mind the violence, they don't mind the deaths, they don't mind anything. Russia is a nightmare ruled by an iron fist and I don't see that changing too soon. A country that has power-plants and 5 km further, the land is farmed with horses because of the lack of machines. Slavery in Moscow and border wars. That's going to be like this for a long, long time. Better hope the Russians are developing internally, before they regain their external strengh again and take up their traditional role as world-policeman.

They'll continue their struggle in Chechnya until the won't be able to feed their soldiers. Then they'll finally give up. Yet there is no way, that they win militarilly, except for blowing the whole place to kingdom come. But they can't afford the bombs. Chechnya will in the end secede. And then Chechny will become a dictatorship, like all the other central-asian countries that seceded.

5. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I dont think Russia is able to let its former glory go just yet. They are still trying to hold onto the old empire of the USSR. The problem for the Russians is that if Chechnya gains its independence from the russian federation it will inspire some other territories to break away. This, therefore, is unacceptable. So the Russians and Chechens will keep dying until somebody is prepared to swallow their pride.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Pac Man, many apologists for the Bush regime points towards other wars and other occupations throughout the world and complaining that there isnt enough outrage about that compared to the Iraq situation. Do you and other then mean, that we should expect the US to be on the same level as Russia, China and the other countries who commit these violations? Perhaps I shouldnt have as high expectations as I have of the US and just expect them to act like the to a lesser or greater degree dictatorial regimes who are fighting other wars?

Not to mention that in the case of Chechnya there is an outrage and official condemnation, it just dont get much media time, and as I said, most of us really dont expect any better from Russia. Am I wrong in expecting more from the US?

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'm not comparing the US with Russia, or China. I'm saying that the peaceprotesters are kinda picky when it comes to their demonstrations. I've never seen any massive gatherings or protestmarches over the Russian Chechnia campaing, or when the Serbs battled the Croats and Bosnians. Neither did they raise their voices when hundreds of thousands of people were killed in just a few days in Ruanda, and there's more, but i won't even bother.

The only time peaceprotesters take action, is when the US is involved. Doesn't that strike you as odd at least a little ?

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Frankly I don't see anything odd with it. Peace protests against US military campaigns might actually change the public oppinion in some form, while protests against Russian attacks will not have the slightest effect on the decisions of the Russian government for various reasons, the same of course goes for China.

I think this attack is a sad proof that the circle of evil in Chechenya will probably not end until the Russians get tired and decide either to start a massive "cleansing" or leave the area, I doubt either of these will happen any time soon so the violence will just continue.

9. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It's all about the oil! Well, OK, maybe there's some element of glory, revenge, preventing disintegration, etc. But don't forget that Chechnya has major oil installations for pumping and processing - perhaps 1/3 the USSR's output back in the bad old days.

But Iago is right about Chechnya's fate if it does manage to break away. Its few years of de facto independence under Yeltsin demonstrated the abysmal quality of Chechen governance.

Pac man and joacqin make good points, too. The US should be held to a higher standard. But remember that the US is trying to democratize millions of people in a massive state with a different culture and severe internal schisms in less than 18 months. Russia is trying to maintain the status quo it has kept for centuries in a little patch of land in an area that was fairly Russianized (at least in Grozny - ironic that Yeltsin should threaten to level Grozny, given that it was 40% Russian). Yes, the US is struggling...but Russia is taking far more damage, and spending much more per capita, for much lower ambitions.

So yeah, the US needs to be held accountable when it messes up. But compared to military occupations past and present, the Iraqi occupation is the kindest, gentlest one on record. Chechnya shows what could have been - and might yet, for that matter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.