1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Character concepts

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by Caradhras, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I've finished my first run through the game with a city elf rogue and it was a lot of fun. I went for a simple roguish character who was a reluctant hero but a hero nonetheless. I skipped all the rather bad options although being a chronic restarter I had to fight the urge to start over and go for the evil choices. My rogue was a bit two-dimensional although the city elf origin story is quite good indeed (I haven't played the others yet but I hope they're as good).

So, now I'm thinking which character I'm going to play next. Since I know more about the game I believe I have a better idea of the characters I can play. I haven't been through the other Origins so I'll still have some surprises along the way (hopefully many surprises).

So here are the character concepts I've come up with so far. Some are not fleshed out much but I mean it as a source of inspiration so feel free to comment and post your own ideas.

->Inquisitor or witch hunter.

Class: Human Warrior Templar.

"Slay them all, the Maker will know his own."

This character is self focused and utterly devoted to his mission and he will fight Maleficars and Blood Mages wherever they can be found. He doesn't have much respect for those who stand in his way. A devout follower of the Maker's teachings although he is no meek lamb, he believes in rooting out evil no matter what it takes.
    Mercy is not one of his principles and his holier than thou attitude makes him oblivious to the fact that sometimes self righteousness blinds him. He is ready to sacrifice himself as well as others to succeed in his task.

->Witchfinder or Witchsmeller.

Corrupted instead of righteous, same as above but with the Reaver specialization.

"You will tell me the truth, have no fear. Now, Confess."

He has corrupted the teachings of the Chantry to gain power and rise above others. He only pretends to serve the Maker to suit his own purposes and get the most of it through intimidation and violence.
    He is something of a coward and prefers to fight foes who are weak and leave the more dangerous foes to others.

->Holy warrior or paladin.

Specialization: Champion/Templar.

"May the Maker forgive your blasphemy, because I never will!"

He believes that he has been chosen by the Maker, singled out to save Ferelden from the Darkspawns. Make this character female and you have a Joan of Arc type.
    Not the most patient individual, he believes that he can't possibly fail unless he strays from the path of the righteous. As long as he stays on the straight and narrow he will be victorious as the instrument of the Maker's will. The interaction with Leliana will certainly be fun.

->Apostate/Maleficar.

Human or elf Mage, Blood Mage.

"There have been men who have been burned alive or disemboweled for a glimpse of what you are about to witness."

A power hungry mage who ironically is also a Grey Warden. A reluctant Warden at best he only yearns for one thing: more power! He would do anything to reach this goal including unleashing evil forces on the land. Amoral, he relishes putting others in situations in which they are uncomfortable.
    Subtle and cunning he relies heavily on deceit and lies to make others do things they would never do in normal circumstances. Although he likes to spite others he is clever enough to know when to assuage their mistrust before toying with them.

->Crazy psycho dwarf.

Belkar lookalike. Class: Dwarf Commoner Warrior Berserker.

"I'm a sexy shoeless god of war!"

Bad tempered, selfish, lewd and bloodthirsty... He has no morals and will probably react violently when faced with a moral dilemma. The point is just to think "what would Belkar do?" and probably go for the "wrong" choice and stick to it. Whenever a conversation is too long you can expect that any options that allow this character to attack or kill someone won't be missed.
    Walking around wearing the bare minimum is required -possibly equipping gauntlets and boots (but no armour) since they will only increase the overall awesomeness of the character's looks and ensure that cutscenes will be fun to watch. :p

2. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    I played the Paladin type (Templar/Champion) with 2H specialization.
    But he kind of swings too slow for my liking, so I would go 2 weapons next time.
    Maybe as a rogue then.

Blood mage sounds the most fun to me.
    Have you unlocked it already?

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    I was going for RPing concepts rather than builds (but these are related anyway). ;)

I'm not sure about two handed weapons in this game. Shield seems the best for tanking and dual wielding dishes out a lot of damage. Perhaps two handed works better for bosses.

Archery is sick though. I was surprised to see how much damage you can get with an arrow and some buffs.

I've found out that you only need to unlock specializations once to be able to get them in any game. I don't think that's a good way to implement specializations.

I haven't unlocked Blood Mage yet but I won't play as a Mage before completing my Warrior run as a half naked red haired crazy dwarf. It's great so far:

I got one of these moments at Ostagar when meeting the king... Only wearing boots and picking the most offensive lines... :shake:

Fighting in the buff is more convenient than I would have thought. :D

4. pplr Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Duelist/Ranger......

Maybe too Drizzt not enough function.

Mage version of a paladin

Arcane Warrior/Spirit Healer

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

2handed builds do a lot of damage if you know how to build the character. The problem with 2handed builds is how slow they hit. The best weapon for 2handed builds is a heavy hammer as it allows the weapon to by pass armor. Also, some of the talents in 2handed builds are passisve and are very powerful. One of them allows the PC to reduce the enemies armor with a sucessful hit. One feat increase the PC chance to not be knocked down and improve weapon damage.

The most useful specialization for a 2handed build is a beserker. The damage output by a Berserker is crazy. I have seen over 200 on one hit that was not a critical hit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.