1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Character Bio

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Sniper, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Okay basically, I play pnp D&D at this club i go to and well, we've just started our own home campaign. New world, added races/classes etc. And we also start as a 0 level commoner going onto 1st level adventuerer. One of the requisites for this is that we make a bio for the characters to help get them into the swing of things and possibly on what class they shall be. Here's mine and i was wondering what you guys thought of it?

Here we go:Novralass Ailmanra’s Biography

Novralass, as far as he can remember grew up with the elves of ‘Sunfire’ forest. He was told as a young lad that an elven caravan that was heading back to Sunfire forest found him alone, surrounded by human and goblinoid bodies. Fearing the worst, the elves took the young child with them along with what ever they could salvage from the battle gone. The only reminder and clue to his heritage was a signet ring found dangling around Novralass’s neck held by a thing piece of string. Not knowing his name, the elves named the child ‘Novralass Ailmanra’, which, when interpreted to the common tongue, is known as ‘Novralass the lost one’.

As Novralass grew up, he was allowed access to most places in the Elven society with the exception of a few places sacred only to the elves. It was deemed that, all of the salvaged items found at the battle would be given to Novralass to be his own. A human couple that was also taking residence there who worked with the Human embassy within the forest took him in. His foster parents, Joseph Windborn and Merrilee Windborn took him in as one of their own; indeed Novralass was their only child. Even Novralass himself thought himself different and special in some form or another. There were even times when he lay in bed at night, where he thought he could feel his very essence surge with something hidden, something deep, something powerful.

Despite the love that his family gave him and their importance within the community, Novralass was perceived as an outsider of some sought. Because of this and his human heritage, a small number of elves who saw the elven race as the superior race, took it into their hands to prove this to Novralass and bullied him constantly threatening that if he ever told his parents of his insignificance and of their desire to turn him into what he should be – a lesser race, they would kill him and his parents. Not wanting such an event to occur, Novralass kept all his worries to himself, and let his frustration and anger build up.

Ever since learning about the fact that he was found by an Elven caravan, Novralass became fascinated by the idea of where his true origins are from. He eventually came to the conclusion that his real parents were the fabled adventurers that roamed the world, seeking fame and fortune. Sometimes he would roam the forests pretending to be and adventurer acting out mock battles and defeating the evil villains. Unfortunately, there would be times when the ‘fascist’ elves would ambush him, beat him up and leave him battered and bruised. His excuses to his parents were repetitive in that he was constantly tripping over logs and generally being clumsy. Despite this, Novralass did have some times when he was at peace and alone to himself and it was during one of these periods that he made a startling discovery. It was when he was rein-acting himself as a magic user, of terrible spells and awesome power. After making some random gestures, words, Novralass touched a tree gently to raise ‘fallen comrade’ only to the very bark he touched glow as bright as the sun! It was then that he realised that he may be one of the fabled Sorcerers, descended from the dragons that he has heard so many stories about. It was also at this point, that Novralass started to watch the Elven mages cast their spells in festivals, all the while wondering, if he was like one of them.

Not long after his sixteenth birthday, whilst wondering alone in the forest that again, some young elven lads ambushed him. They chased him and threatened to beat him up if he didn’t come back to them to receive what he deserved. Having lived in the forest and always in constant threat of being ambushed by such racists taught him how to run and to some extent hide from these elven eyes. Despite this, he was eventually cornered. Remembering his incident with the tree, he tried frantically making gestures and arcane words but to no avail until one of the elves pushed him causing him to trip. As he fell, his arm reached out to grab something as a reflex action to find a dazzling blue flash and a bolt of ice leave his fingertips, projecting and impaling itself into the elf that had pushed him. The elf collapsed onto the ground motionless. His companions screamed in fear and bolted. Realising what he had done and the consequences he would have to pay, Novralass sprinted as fast as his legs would carry him back home. He collected what little belongings he had, and quickly wrote a note telling his foster parents how much he loved them and that he couldn’t be around for much longer. Writing this, he made all haste to leave the forest and began a life of wondering.

Nearly a year later of aimless wondering and being turned down, Novralass finally reached Seven Springs where the kindly librarian Faylorn let him in to the library to stay providing that he helped maintain the library. He has been in Seven Springs ever since, and has become well liked by those that enter and dwell within the library. Yet still, Novralass wishes to learn of his true heritage and of how his foster parents are. He is a firm friend with a young scribe there who too, is also interested in the laws of magic. Maybe they will leave the village together and perhaps become adventurers?

So what you guys think? Btw, the scribe is another player character as well looking to be a wizard.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think it's very good :roll:

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Good background, I agree. Although the name sounds a tad effeminate. But aren't most Elf names effeminate anyways? ;) :p

4. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Kewl. I like.

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

[​IMG] Hmm, sounds a little familiar to me, llone human child, being found and brought up in a forest by elves, bullied by rascist's. Where could it have come from? ;) :p

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Thanks guys :p

You've got me ... where is it from?

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*Aikanaro leans close to Sniper and whispers in his ear* You obviously don't check CS much do you? Try the story written by Morningstar.

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Ah i see lol :p Ah my apologies! I must admit, i suppose it wouldn't seem plausable to pass this off as an original idea but i will admit that me creating the bio had nothing to do with the stories on SP :)

Saying that, me character's best friend is an Elven Mage ... in the game anyway :p

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Personally, I like less detail in the backstory. I usually come up with just a few events or scenarios that will define a character's general approach to life and mabe how s/he will react in particular situations. I like to leave myself some flexibility for having the character mature and change as teh game progresses.

But it's a neat tale, nonetheless. :)

10. Teufelchen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Good story. My only objection is the misuse of the word 'fascist.' It is not synonymous with racist, although racism may play an important role in a fascist government. So unless these elves live in a centralized dictatorship and these thugs beat up your character on behalf of the government to oppress him they probably are not fascist. See the whole definition here: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fascism

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Indeed, i may stand corrected there. Well the government isn't facist, its more to do with the personalities of these few elves. For example if they were in power, they would run through a dictatorship and remove all of the weaker races to create a realm of the perfect race and only the perfect race.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.