1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cell Phones and Pict-Bridge...

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Kitrax, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so my HP all-in-one printer has a USB port labeled as a 'Pict-Bridge' which to my knowledge, only supports HP cameras that offer this feature...

But recently, I heard some salesman say something about a Samsung cell phone that offers the pict-bridge ability. So if this is true, does anyone have any info on this subject? I'm currently looking to get a new phone, and although I'm leaning more towards the Motorola RAZR (sorry DotW) I'd be more willing to get a phone that offered the pict-bridge capability.

My provider is T-Mobile, but I can get an unlocked Cingular phone without too much fuss...so a phone for either provider would work.

Thanks in advance DotW for the help you will no-doubtfully offer. :thumb: :rolling:

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

That would be the SPH-A800, Kitrax.

However, this phone is a Sprint exclusive, and Sprint is a CDMA carrier, and CDMA does not use SIM cards, which basically means you'd have to switch carriers.

And Kitrax, for ****'s sake, I already told you and I will say it again... the GSM RAZR is expensive trash. The CDMA version (carried by Verizon, U.S. Cellular and Alltell), however, has been exponentially improved, and if you're so deadbeat about getting a ****ing RAZR, then trust me and get the CDMA version.

3. Kitrax

Media:
    Actually, I probably won't get either version of the RAZR...I'm supposed to be saving up for a wedding, and to waste $200 on a phone seems pretty stupid...I still think it looks cool though! :thumb:

Why is it so hard for a phone to have a 1.5MP+ camera, pict-bridge, BlueTooth, MSN Messenger, and a removable memory card? It seems that every phone has one of those features, but never more then 2 of them in the same phone! :bang:

Hell, I'd be willing to pay $200+ for a phone that had at least a 2MP camera that also offered video capture, MSN Messenger, a removable memory card, pict-bridge, and even MP3 playback. They obviouly have the technology, but the refuse to combine all of it into one device! :bang:

Stupid cell phone design teams. :nono: :rolling:

4. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  5. Disciple of The Watch

Well, I've been doing some research, Kitrax, and I found three phones that are pretty much what you're looking for, except for MSN messenger.
    Nokia 6270
    Nokia N90
    Samsung SGH-D600

Now, none of those phones are out RIGHT NOW, but since you want to save for your wedding, they'll probably be out by the time you decide to upgrade.

*EDIT* That's a good phone, Chandos, but it has come to my understanding that Kitrax isn't fond of Sprint...

6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Verizon, I think, has the same phone as an A950.

7. Disciple of The Watch

Stop trying to push CDMA phones, Chandos! :p :shake:

You're dealing with hardcore GSM and TDMA fans... :D

8. Kitrax

Media:
    Well...I'm not really a "hardcore GSM and TDMA fan" I'm just locked in a contract with T-Mobile, and I don't intend to break it...in fact I'll probably renew it once it expires.

DotW, have you seen the price tag for the Samsung SGH-D600?!? :eek: That damn thing is $500 but fortunately, has almost every option that I want in a phone. It looks pretty cool too. But $500! I don't think a phone will ever be worth $500! :nono:
    Also, this quote is taken from the link you gave me, DotW:
    So even though it's a GSM phone, there's no guarantee... :confused: :rolling:

[ January 24, 2006, 09:16: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

9. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    PictBridge is a standard for connecting digital cameras directly to printers (i.e. no need for a computer). It is definitely not an HP-only thing.

I would say it's a feature more targeted to people who don't have computers since I would think most people who have computers would want to save their pictures to the mass storage of their computer and not just print them.

10. Disciple of The Watch

The hardcore TDMA fan is me, Kitrax, DUH!

And yes, I know that they're not currently available. You did mentioned you're in a contract, hmm? By the time it expires (if there's a long time left, that is), this phone'll probably been released. And BTW, the "This phone is not currently available from any major U.S. carrier. It is compatible with some U.S. networks, and may be available from third-party dealers or smaller, regional carriers." simply means that it's being tested by carriers prior to approval or denial of launching. It's a matter of time.

And yes, I know the D600 has a steep price tag, Kitrax, but Samsung phones are very good phones. Unglamorous, perhaps, but reliable. Besides, if you buy it with a contract, it won't cost ya $500. The initial price of a phone that has been recently released is always steep (plus, the ones for sale on Pure Mobile and Cellular Concepts are unlocked - and just so you know, unlocking a phone substantially raises it's price. They are also free of sevice term). If you don't mind waiting, the prices drop usually within a matter of months.

And just so you know, PictBridge compatible phones are a pretty rare breed, even rarer if you only want GSM. (BTW, good on ya, GSM rocks)

If you want, I'll keep you informed if I hear of new PictBridge phones.

[ January 25, 2006, 01:16: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

11. Kitrax

Media:
    Sure, that would be great.

As for BTA's comment on mass storage...I do have a pretty big collection of pictures on my computer, but cell phone pictures are usually so grainy and almost impossible to see correctly on a cell phone's screen, that quickly printing them out phone to printer would save a whole lot of time. :thumb:

Oh, and what are you saying about Samsung not being a glamorous!?!? My fiancé’s Samsung E715 is *very* glamorous! That's the main reason I got that phone in the first place. :love: I wish my crummy basic Samsung phone looked as good as hers does. :rolling:

12. Disciple of The Watch

Well, Kitrax, not ALL Samsung phones are unglamorous. I've had a X426 for a while, and it's not pretty, nor glamerous, but it does it's job, and does it well. Of course with a custom faceplate it looks better, but I didn't had that phone long enough to consider that option. It depends on which model you choose. :D

But I must confess I am a Nokia sold-out. They're my brand of trust.

I'll PM you whenever I'll hear about PictBridge on phones. The search goes on...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.