1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Buying a new car out of your home state... any problems?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Klorox, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I was wondering if you run into any problems buying a new car in a different state. I live in NJ, but I'm thinking of buying a new car in MA.

I was thinking that registering the car may be a problem as well.

TIA

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...

My brother bought his Acura from CA, and had his motorcycle shipped from NJ. I don't really talk to the idiot anymore, but IIRC, you only have to pay the sales tax from the state where you're buying it from.

If you're going to be buying it from a dealership, then I imagine that they would handle all the details. If you're going to be buying from a private party, I'd call up a dealership from MA, explain your situation, and see if they can't give you an answer over the phone. :thumb: :rolling:

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not generally a problem, but it can be expensive. Here in Illinois, people used to go to Wisconsin to buy cars because of lower taxes. Of course, the politicians from Illinois were rather irritated at all the revenue loss so inacted a law that allowed the state to charge the difference between state taxes PLUS an additional state transfer fee (for the title).

I would expect such laws are commonplace in high populated areas that border other states. I'd strongly recommend you check your state laws (the DMV site should have all the info for you).

4. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Re the sales tax issue, that is certainly a problem in Tennessee and Vermont, the two states where I have bought a car elsewhere and registered it in my home state. However, in both cases, the car dealers knew it would be a problem and somehow worked it out with me so I didn't pay sales tax in the state where I bought the car, only where I registered it.

They didn't call it sales tax in the state of registration but I don't remember what they DID call it.

So, call your DMV or whoever registers cars in your state and find out before you go make a many hundreds of dollars or more mistake.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.