1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bush Spam

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Harbourboy, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] Is it true that the Bush family has been leaving spam voice mail messages on voters' phones telling them to vote for Bush? I thought it sounded crazy but I read it in the paper here yesterday. Has anyone here received one of those voice messages?

I for one would instantly vote against any candidate who did that to me.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I haven't heard that, but I wouldn't based on where I live. I'd imagine the states where they are calling are the swing states, of which Maryland (where I live) is not one of them.

Do we have any residents of Pennsylvania, Ohio, or Florida on the boards? They would be the better people to ask.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, I think the story did mention that it had been happening in Pennsylvania.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I read over at the civfanatics forum that there were some posters who had got those phone calls.

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't see why it would be far fetched - I received similar messages from four different candidates in our last federal election.

Apart from the voice mails I received phone calls from two parties asking to put up signs on my lawn and a third party called on election day offering to drive me to and from the voting centre.

All of this just served to tick me off and had no impact on the way I voted.

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I live in Pennsylvania and I haven't recieved any messages so far. I guess the Bushies know Philly is a democratic stronghold, eh?

7. Harbourboy

Right, I've tracked down the source of this story. It was a letter, not a news story so it's veracity may be a bit more questionable (unless an SP member can confirm it, in which case it will be irrefutable).

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    We've gotten mltiple calls (pre-recorded, of course) from Georgie and eve one from Laura - she was telling us to vote for the whole GOP ticket!

9. Harbourboy

Wow. So it's true. How odd. I would hate to get a call like that. It would put me right off.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I've been getting a lot of Republican spam e-mail lately... obviously the people's right to privacy is an alien concept to the Republicans. The only thing that still amazes me is that after all this, it's still very likely that Bush is going to win. It's really amazing what people in the US are prepared to swallow with a smile.

11. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I've been getting calls from Liberal PAC's. And some spam, too. Maybe what some would consider "Conservative Spam" would be legitimate information to others...and vice versa for "Liberal Spam".

There have been credible reports of both sides using mass mailings and programmed dialings to reach likely voters...please don't automatically call it all "Bush Spam".

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Funny I only got Republican spam then... Maybe someone (you know who you are) signed me up. :shake:

13. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Ah...you're onto me now...that's our big plan...recruit young Europeans and have them emmigrate to the US as Republicans.

It was GM's idea.

14. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i had calls from several factions to, at least, vote. Some of them are recorded messages and some are actual persons. Since i am not american, i cannot vote, thus i cannot even register, thus my phone number is not in the registered voters list, thus i get those stupid calls all the stupid time. i have to say, those republicans are a bit lazy. For all the phone messages i have gotten, all the republican factions used recorded message and the democrat factions used actual real life sweet hot youthful female voice.

i mentioned in other thread that bon jovi and leonardo came to isu today for john kerry. Besides their appearance, leo also recoarded a voice message particularly for university female voters. Since i am either voter nor female, i don't know the content of the message.

ahhhh, all the benefits and excitments living in a swing state.

15. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I live in Ohio and have received spam calls from the GOP, and, to be fair, one from the Democrats, but none from the First Family, Maybe George's finger got tired. The odd thing about one GOP call is that even though I hanged up, it somehow triggered my answering machine and completed its message on the tape.

16. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I live in Texas - Bushland, of course (yuk!) - and I've recieved multiple calls (at least two per week) over the last month and a half from both Dubya and Laura, as well as from the Republican candidate for the Congressional seat in this district. Actually, I get more phone messages from the republican clan than I get from my own family!

I find it disturbing - the advent of politics into the world of telemarking, which is bad enough! (And yes, I would find it just as disturbing if it were Kerry and the local Democrats doing the same thing.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.