1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Burns...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kitrax, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, after getting a nasty little acid burn from boiling hot sulfuric acid on my arm tonight (don't worry, it's only about the size of a pea...although it hurt like a b**ch!), it got me thinking about all the times I've been burned in the past.

Growing up in So. California, and spending most of my summers at the beach, I've had plenty of sunburns...so many that my doctor has labeled me as "high risk" for skin cancer. :bad:

But besides those, I'm also a pyromaniac, and I've had several things blow up in my face before getting a knack for working with combustibles and explosives. I have a few permanent scars on my hands and arms from some of the more....memorable...times. :eek:

So how about you? Any memorable burns? :rolling:

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Yes, that one time where I was welding something above my head and burning hot flux landed straight on my crotch, burned through my pants and landed straight on my privates.

Hurted like hell. Looked like a freaking idiot wandering with a bag of ice stapped around my crotch, too.

3. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Not really memorable but the number of hot-rock burn scars that scatter my thighs is astounding. Also I managed to burn a huge patch of my fore-arm once with a hot iron. Very painful but I remember thinking "I'm glad I realised that was too hot, I'd have ruined these trousers..."

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    When casting tin soldiers I once spilled some molten lead over my left hand. It hurt a lot and it was difficult to remove because it was hot, remained hot for a while and sticked to the skin :bad: After some 15 years you don't see much scar left, except when you look real close. Good, because it was not exactly memorable.

Hot sulphuric acid is vicious, in addition to the burn because of the temperature, you also have the chemical burn, you're double burned. I once burned a wet fingertip with basically the opposite, NaOH, during chemistry lessons, taught me to not touch chemicals but use an appropriate tool, also hurt a lot, and also, after 15 years there's no visible scar left.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Interesting topic. I burnt my hand on the sauna stove when I was a kid, there's still a slightly different shade of colour on that part of my left arm but it's hardly noticable.

6. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I thought this thread was about Burns night (last night) :p

I burnt my hand when I was about thirteen in a moment of true stupidity when me and my mates sprayed a cardboard box up with deodrant and I put my hand in with the lighter into the mist to get it going. I got away with a couple of blisters and a mark that has since faded, the hair has grown back too :D

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, back when I was young and stupid (as compared to my current status of old and stupid), I was trying to start a propane BBQ. The starter wasn't working very well, and after several clicks, it still hadn't fired up. Of course, the propane kept building up, and I had my head right over the BBQ, so when it finally did start, my eyebrows and hair gor seriously singed. Fortunately that was about it, but I smelled a bit burnt for awhile afterwards.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah, the classic "look-in-the-barrel-and-fire" trick! :shake:

As for myself, I've managed to burn all the hairs off my right arm getting too close to a bonfire once, but that's about it. It's left no mark.

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

One summer I was routinely manning clean up fires, and regularly singed the hair on my foreamrs.

Back in my dope smoking days, I used to roach joints early because I didn't lime butning my fingers passing them, hence I got the nickname "The Roach Nazi".

But otherwise, nothing worse than sunburn or the BTW that's hot reminders...

Trading jokes with family and friends is another story...

10. Cal Jones

Cal Jones I'm not dead yet

I'm sat here with a burn on my knuckle from cooking. Hurts a lot too because of where it is - the skin has peeled back.
    I've had a lot of burns. I actually refuse to by clothes that require ironing because I always burned myself. Yes, I am that clumsy.
    Worst burn I had was back in the days of yore when I was temping at a warehouse. They had us temps on the box making line, glueing cardboard boxes together. They give you a glue gun which takes crayon-like pellets of glue and then heats them up to nuclear temperatures. The glue guns leaked. They did not (at first, anyway) give us gloves.
    I got through my hour or so glueing and felt quite smug that I hadn't been burned like everyone else. Then I felt something hot on my hand. Big glob of glue. Ouch. I decided to be smart and let it cool but that turned out to be a mistake as when I peeled the glue away, several layers of skin came with it, leaving a lymph-oozing hole. I now have a small but very permanet scar at the base of my left thumb.

I've also suffered sunburn several times - one of my interests is visiting amusement parks and I've been caught out a few times. I burned my scalp once along my parting, and then bought a cap. Then I burned the tops of my ears so badly they blistered and I bought a floppy fishing-type hat instead.
    My worse burn was when I was at Venice Beach once during one of my E3 trips. I wasn't sunbathing but my colleague wanted to go and play paddle tennis. I hadn't taken sublock and there wasn't any shade. My shins were so badly burned it hurt to walk and I had the shivers that evening. When I got off the plane back to London, I realised my legs were wet beneath my jeans, and basically the whole top layer of skin had formed a giant blister which had started to ooze.
    I am really anal about sunblock now (especially as I'm no longer in the first flush of youth). I even wear a factor 40 block on my face during winter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.