1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bullying and brain damage

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Mar 23, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    And another one from that same site. This time about bullying and how it leaves permanent scars on the brain.

here

Wonder if this would make headmasters crack down on school bullies more decisively.

2. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Chevalier, I doubt it. Anyone who has gone through a school system has to know about bullying and the stress reactions that go with it.

Sad to say it is still common. My grandkids are lucky in that there are 11 of them in the same school right now and they look out for each other.

I don't know any way short of expelling any real bully or agressive action by kids being picked on to even slow it down.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I'm all for anything that would help put an end to it, and I think a big part of that is a social network that connects parents and teachers better, along with stricter punishment for bullying. Teachers know who the troublemakers are, but these days most of them are too scared to say or do anything until something happens that 'proves it'. In my middle school it took a friend jumping one such bully in gym after nearly three years of abuse, most of it common knowledge among the teachers. It made me sick, and it still does, how lightly such things are treated. Until someone is sent to the hospital, nothing is done about it because teachers don't want to get on the parents bad sides or risk their jobs or anything.

I doubt this research will do anything, the school shootings didn't. If anything would, I'd expect bullyed kids bringing guns to school and shooting the bullies, and anyone else in the way, would, but no such luck.

Sometimes I hate people.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Could this brain damage manifest in other disorders as well as depression? Could it foster learning disabilities or even more severe mental disorders in those at risk to begin with? I think this does need to be looked into more deeply...

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Some anti-social disorders, I would bet. Also think of the kids singled out by the whole group rather than harassed by a bully or two. I suppose that leads to disorders as well.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Growing up in a small town with Tourette Syndrome, I felt both the bully and the social outcast thing. Looking back I wonder just how seriously that could have screwed me over...

7. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmmh... I was beaten up almost daily from the second to fifth grade. Later on, I became very antisocial and did all kinds of stupid things... Lucky I'm much better now.

So yeah, I could say that bullying leaves damage, if not permanent.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.