1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bulbous TVs

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I can't believe the commercial I heard in the car on my drive to work this morning. The commercial said something to the effect of:

"For those people looking for a cost-effective, smaller TV for their bedrooms, we also offer a 38-inch plasma TV for $2499."

OK, since when was a 38-inch TV considered a "smaller" TV, and since when is $2499 for a TV considered "cost-effective" for the average person? Is the big TV an American phenomenon, much like bigger cars? I mean, I don't even have a TV in my bedroom, and the TV we own in the living room is 32 inches, and we have no desire to go any bigger than that. The only other TV we own is a small 17 inch TV in the basement where we work out.

For those who don't do English measurements, 38 inches is approximately 96 cm, so a TV that has a diagonal viewing area of nearly a meter! This is considered "smaller"?!?

The commercial even got more ridiculous after that. It said:

"Studies have found that when you are less than 10 feet (About 3 meters) away from a TV, 38 inches is an acceptable size."

I should certainly hope so! If you can't adequately see something that big from 10 feet away, you would have to be legally blind!

Now I understand that they make TVs much bigger than 38 inches. However, experience tells me that not many people own a TV that large. Can you really classify a TV as "smaller" if in fact it is larger than the vast majority of TVs owned across the country? How many people can honestly say they own a TV that's bigger than 38 inches across? Does anyone consider this "small"? What size TV is in your house?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow, We aquired a 32" flat screen after my wife and I moved in together. I guess I'm just behind the times (no plasma tv for me). We also have two 25" TV that were brought into the marriage and mutually adopted.

I've been looking at plasma screens but just can't justify the cost. I really don't notice the difference between high definition and normal cable (in which case HDTV is a waste of money). Although I have been switching my albums and tapes to cd even though there really isn't much difference in the sound to me....

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

My TV is probably less than 17", but then again I have better things to do than watch TV every day.

I find those 'monster' sized TV's to be extremely tacky. People should get out more.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

We own a 27" tv just so I can actually read some of the wording when I'm catching up on the weather or we get one of those scrollers at the bottom of the screen. My in-laws have four tvs in the house right now - there's possibly one more at their summer cottage!

And the size of 38" is :jawdrop: ! The biggest I ever saw was 54" (it wasn't plasma) and the guys had to build an entertainment center *around* the freaking thing! Like Cúchulainn said, these people need to get out more. :rolleyes:

5. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

Pfft, I don't even *have* a TV. I can't afford the license fee on a student budget. I never watched TV when I was at home anyway.

But really, 38"... Far too much. You wouldn't be able to concentrate on all of it at once, unless you were sitting a way back.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.