1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Britons are Europe's top pissheads

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's official

Although I must say that I thought it would be more near to 2.2 units per hour. That must be those soft shandy drinking Southerners dragging us down!

[ April 11, 2006, 19:48: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    All right, I hereby exempt you from the general statement that West of Poland people can't drink. :p :D

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Umm, Chev, are you counting America as east or west, 'cause you can go either way and get there.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I thought we Canadians could drink. Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that we're next to the Americans that we look like Alcoholics...

5. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Heh, in Australia, drinking's practically a national sport. And none of this beer that puts one in mind of making love in a canoe, either.

@ Gnarff: Canadians might look like alcoholics next to the Yanks, but it's colder - and that should be a good enough reason/excuse for most.

Well, this part is a good thing, IMO.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

NonSequitor: You're right. Most places in Canada, it's boring, so there isn't much else to do. And the places where there is more to do, the default thing is to drink...

7. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Yeah, I got that one. I was laughed at cos a night of drinking POlish vodka made me ill. That stuff is waaay strong.

I'll stick to my pint of bitter

8. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

One of my fondest memories is the Palinka drinking competition we had against three Irish lads in Keszthely, Hungary. The barman brought out buckets along with the bottles.
    The winner was actually our female companion who was the only one not to throw up (She passed out and had to be carried back to the camp-site - the taxi's wouldn't take us.)

9. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    If you go far enough either east or west, you could get anywhere :)

10. Late Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Media:
    In America they wondered why this Finnish exchange student wasn't very drunk after a 12-pack of beer. (They thought he should've passed out by then.)

11. chevalier

Media:
    Well, guys, you need to quote some typical amounts you drink behind the ocean. :shake: I'm sure it differs between states, doesn't it? ;) From what I've been able to gather, Canadians are reliable boozers. :p

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Indeed. Milwaukee, Wisconsin is the American birthplace of good heavy beer, so Wisconsinites are much better drinkers than most of the country.

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Hooray for binge drinking. I dislike going out with anyone who will not willingly get hammered out of their brains. I don't get the "have a few drinks and go home" thing, that's not fun at all, and I find non-drinkers always have boring personalities ;)

14. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yeah, I can see what you mean. Hanging around people with fully-functioning brains is far more dull than stumbling around parks at 2AM with a bunch of beer-sodden oafs.

You only find drunkards amusing if you are one yourself. To anyone else, you're just obnoxious, boring and a waste of decaying meat.

Okay, so maybe this is a sensitive subject for me.
    Anyway, I thought Ireland was higher up on the list than us.

15. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

but us drunkards know how to have a good time! ;)

16. chevalier

Media:
    One gets drunk on beer? :eek:

:p :D

I almost did once. Stuff had 12% alcohol content, though.

17. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    The reason the Finnish guy didnt get drunk on the beer is that American beer is like drinking water, its far too weak, you need some good old Stella or Grolsch.
    Only 2.2? jeez, must of surveyed a bunch of weaklings, or non-students. Id be lucky if i drank less than 5-6 pints every time i go to the pub. *cough* 4 times a week *cough*

18. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Well, here in Virginia Beach I know several guys that regularly drink 100 proof stuff by the big bottle (1.5 litres I think?). I'm not a heavy drinker myself, but that seems pretty impressive to me. And for differences, you have to concider that continental America is larger than all of Europe, by a good bit, and then you add in Alaska. It may not have many people in it, but DAMN is that place big! Hawai'i doesn't count much, since its so small and people don't drink a whole lot there anyway, not as far as I've seen at least.

19. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

I like a drink as much as the next guy, but "impressive" is not a word I'd use. "Sad" is more like it.

And this type of attitude... :shake: Really, are we on eighth grade here? Who has the biggest weener?

If you have a high tolerance, fine, but I fail to see how that is something to brag about. Could somebody explain this logic to me?

20. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The British drink more than most in pubs, but I suspect that if you count in what people drink at home, most Continental Europeans drink as much as the British.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.