1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bravo Tal!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Slappy, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Just a quick post to let everyone say a big thank you to Tal for all the recent updates and improvements to the site. He's been a very busy Sorcerer.

Bravo Tal

2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Don't patronize me! Like I don't know what obsequious means... HUMPH!

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I think that's a triple word double secret score sized word! :D

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Gee, thanks. It's good to see my work is appreciated.
    Now that the major update to the site is done, I can finally start on that boards update I've promised.
    More user levels: feasible
    Member avatars: feasible

And not that complicated to implement either. Now the only question is, should I allow ALL members here to have avatars (pictures below their posts), or should I set them manually only for a select few like moderators and people who have performed special services for me or our community.

I fear that if I implement it for everyone and so that they change as they gain higher ranks, it will start a flood of stupid posts for the sake of getting higher in level and new avatars. But then again, new user levels will do that too. :p

Thoughts?

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I think avatars should be reserved for Wizards only... Do you have one of a donkey's rear end?

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think I should get an avatar, well.....just because :D You do have a point Tal, but then are any of these whatnots posts non-stupid to begin with. Anyway, maybe just give out the avatars to people who deserve them. I hate to say that as I might not ever get one that way, but it really should be that way. Or maybe just give them you after you reach a very large number of posts or something. I really don't know about that but I do like the new levels for everyone.

8. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] I think that avatars under *everyone's* name would be a bit much. I think you're right, and only the select few...

But then again... I'm biased! :D

9. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] The thing is, is the emphasis on making it a community board, or making it a board with a purpose.

Avatars and ranks are fine for a community board, but I fear it will soon be inevitable that.....err.....most posts will be posted just for the sake of it.

On the other hand a really dry layout keeps bs to a minimum, but it also turns people away.

Tough choices I think.

10. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I support the 'bare essentials' format, Sorcerer. Just to let you know.

11. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'd say Avatars should indeed be reserved to staff-members and maybe a couple of special members.

A few new ranks would be nice though, but you'll need to act fast and hard when the first mindless spamming arouses, otherwise we run the risk of drowning in totally irrelevant posts, just meant to rank.

12. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

In my humble opinion (and indeed it is quite humble in this matter) Avatars would only serve to stoke the ego (pointlessly).

I support a bare essentials format because board participants' presence should constantly be reflected in the way they carry themselves, and not because externalities. Also frankly avatars for "special" members smells too much of elitism for me.

I feel about ranks the same way.

That being said I'm not against making the site look and feel better. I've witnessed bad things happen on boards where the "social rank" is too apparent and very rigid, but perhaps you will have it all under control, or the trouble is worth it.

Also, if there are other boardsters who are keen on the idea, don't let me stand in your way; I don't mean to be a spoil sport. Just my 2 cents worth.

13. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah! Irrevelant posts suck! *cough*one-word story*cough*

:D

How fitting would a trout avatar be?

14. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Maybe only Sorcerer and his pet leatherbound wizard gimp :D should have avatars.
    And the news posters too.

15. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31

Maybe a separate forum *gasp* (Not another one!) or some other area for RolePlaying In character posts only. Perhaps portraits, character sketches, and other interactions (like Infinity Tavern) could be played with in this area alone.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Hey Tal, where's that idiot of the week award for Shura? He's really deserving of it now! ;)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited March 27, 2001).]

17. herf Guest

[​IMG] tal, i think you should ony give them out to people who give somehting or have gave somehting back to the site and boards, basically only to people who have earned them, they dont earn them through posting, they earn them through putting somehting forward for the whole community.

i.e. darein because she posts news.
    sylvus (i know hes not here) because he made a walkthrough
    bta because he moves all the posts

etc etc, does anyone agree?

18. Vandalore Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If you go the avatar route.. be very selective. I think it'd be interesting to add more of a character/roleplaying aspect somehow. Like character generation ;) .. no that might be a bit crazy. Creating such like an addition to profile or something to form more of a character by allowing race/classes, kits or whatever. It might be kind of going to the extreme, but you wouldn't have to go in depth other than just the title.

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    No, I think herf should be the only one just because he's herf.

Oh, and idiot of the week for Shura of course ;)

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited March 27, 2001).]

20. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

May i just add my two pieces of copper? As a humble newbie with a slow ISP, I am concerned about avatars slowing the site down. I don't want to wait twice as long to see a forum, just so that there can be pretty pictures.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.