1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Boycott

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Shralp, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

People, join me in this:

Boycott Robert Jordan and George Martin.

Please.

No, really. Those two are never going to finish their #$%@!* series until people stop buying them. Jordan's going to die before they figure out this whole dragon reborn nonsense, and Martin is either gonna feel his left arm go numb and fall to the ground or kill off all his main characters.

The only way this can be stopped is if we all stop buying their novels. Once they see sales plummet, they'll say, "Heck. I might as well end the series so I can get people to read the big finale. Then I can start a new series."

And that will make Shralp very, very happy.

And you all want to make Unca Shralp happy, don't you?

Jordan's books are addictive, but not very good (like Piers Anthony, come to think of it, but Anthony was kind enough not to include a plot that drew you in to the Xanth series). Martin's are simply outstanding, if a little disturbing. But I've simply stopped reading them. It's hard to remember what's going on from one Jordan novel to the next (except for the recent ones in which the answer to what's happening is apparently "not much). Martin's series is easier to keep track of, but I keep forgetting who's dead and wondering (SPOILER) what in the world happened to Ned Stark anyway.

So I'm going to wait until they're done with the whole series. Then I'll re-read the early ones and finish the rest. Then I'll probably burn the Jordan books so they won't addict another generation and pass the Martin ones on to someone else.

Join me. Fight the power. Keep Unca Shralp happy.

2. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It is posts like this one that make me wish we could recommend posts (like Yahoo).

I have around 150 pages to go in Jordan's latest creation. It appears that what he has done is dedicate 100 pages to seven different story lines. Voila, a 700 page book. I've enjoyed each story arc, but feel that nothing is getting accomplished.

As to Martin, I also agree with you. The time between books is so long, I can barely remember what happened. What am I supposed to do? Quit my job and reread thousands of pages just to buy the next book?

I may have to join your crusade. Of course in the end, my weakness will take over and I'll buy them anyway. :(

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] When does the next Wheel O' Time book come out, anyway? I want to preorder it on Amazon! :lol: :grin: :spin: :roll: :rolling: :shake: :p

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I can agree on you to boycott Jordan, he is getting on my nerves, a lot. I have loved his series and even if nothing has happened in the last books I truly want to read it all but Jordan seems to have completely lost track. Now he is writing on a friggin prequel to WoT! He seems to completely out of his mind and having no respect at all for his readers. Yes I will join you in boycotting him. Wanker.

I have no problem with Martin, sure his new book seems to be taking its time but I prefer it taking its tmie than to Jordan who buts takes his time and releases garbage. Martin has only just written three books and even if it appears that he needs more than what he had first planned to finish the story I still believe in him, he just cant do a Jordan. Martin is also on a whole other level than Jordan. So I wont agree to boycott Martin.
    *Spoiler*

Ned Stark got his head on a pike because he investigated whether Joffrey truly were Roberts son, something Cersei didnt like and she wielded enough power to get him executed after Robert died.

Shralp, you should start reading Robin Hobb, she has three trilogies out for you to read now and she manages to write 800 page masterpieces in around 6 months. You go girl!

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've been boycotting both now for quite a while (Jordan longer than Martin). The Jordan books are just painful. I have a bookmark in one (the tenth I think) that I haven't touched in years. It sits there on my bookshelf, a monument to mediocrity, as all of the other books I read get piled around it, cackling at its sheer inadquacy. ("But I have a lot of pages," it says. "Yeah," reply the other books, "but size truly isn't everything.")

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I just started with Martin's books about 4 month ago and am currently busy with the second of 'a storm of swords'. But I don't think I could resist buying the sequal, in my opinion it's one of the best fantasy's I've ever read.

And if I have to wait 5 years for the next chapter I wouldn't care, I'll probably outlive him anyway and he has to finish it in his lifetime :p

7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Maybe not. Who was the guy who wrote "The Horseclan" series? I think he died in his 40s and never finished.

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    OT - Robert Adams wrote the Horseclans books.

Roger Zelazny died with at least one series uncompleted (Changeling/Madwand).

It's possible.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Still I'd rather read an unfinshed series with 5 great books, than a finished series with 10 books that suck.

10. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I have to agree with boycotting Jordan, in fact I have been since volume 8 :)

Now Martin really is a different kettle of fish, the books are brilliant, something you could not say for the dross the WoT has become. (Come to think of it, it was never great in terms of style, just a very compelling story to start off with).

So, no. I will buy A Feast for Crows on release and hold my breath for A dance with Dragons. Sorry, Shralp, I'm too weak. ;)

11. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Boycotting Jordan is no problem for me. I ignored him all my life, and I'm certainly not going to start reading another long series now.

I don't know what is the problem about Martin. The series is laid out for five books. The end is visible.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Actually I think Martin is going to shoot past 5 books. I think he said something of the kind in some interview. A feast of crows deals with events that he had originally not intended to write about but he decided that he had to if the story would be understandable. I dont know if he has another goal though.

13. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I've boycotted Jordan since book 10 came out. I got 200 pages into it, and realised it was more of the same crap I had been annoyed by in the past 4 books. Closed it, tossed it in the corner and never looked back.

Martin however, I worship. His books are very VERY good, and so long as he doesn't turn his series into a jordanlike thing, I will never turn my back on it. I'd rather he take a long while finishing the newest book, than taking the time he said he needed and then deliver a book that has virtually no content.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.