1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Botswana's Bushmen

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Botswana has decided to relocate Bushmen from their ancestral lands in the Kalahari desert to other parts of the country.

What I find just gross is the argumentation used to justify this move:
    While I don't have a problem with protecting endangered species, in a wider sense the Bushmen are just that as well, but as human being *they* IMO should have priority.

Weird, weird. What do you think?

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Ragusa I think having "Bushmen" in the topic is a mistake since many might avoid this thread assuming it will be about a certain Bushman in the USA. ;)

In any case this case is quite interesting. I would have nothing against relocating the Bushmen if the conditions they were moving to would be pretty much the same but from the article I get the feeling that the conditions these "relocation camps" (read: Consentration camps) are only a tiny step away from hell.

This may sound a bit strange now but in a way the Bushmen are also an endangered species. Native people are quite few and far between and most of them have been robbed of their native lands long long time ago. I think this might even end up in destroying an anicient culture which in my opinion is more horrible than the extinction of any animal being.

Unfortunately it's pretty much the right of the government to this and I don't think much could or even should be done about it. We in the west can allways play hypocritical and condemn this action when we ourselves have "dealt" with the native populations centuries ago.

3. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Maybe there is some sort of comprimise that can be had?

4. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Tough call. On one hand, pygmy bushmen, the ones who use click languages, represent the most long lived culture on the globe, and from the few things I've read, they lead (or have lead) happy and stable lives, even in harsh desert conditions. Whether their culture can survive Africa's efforts to modernize itself is an open question, and I'm not so optimistic. Given the West's history of colonialism and the way the West treated their own indigenous peoples as they first began to modernize, they might not have so much credibility by butting into Botswana's affairs and telling them to leave vast sections of their country untouched as a Bushman reservation. And it could be that modernization has already broken the Bushman culture, if it's true that they rely on government aid. Still, very sad; in the study of human migration and population genetics, pygmy bushmen represent the well-spring from which everyone came.

5. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] It looks like the protections of animals may not be the case at all..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4480883.stm

[ April 27, 2005, 17:23: Message edited by: Cesard ]

6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

This makes me think of Tad Williams Otherland series, wherein a Bushman's wisdom helped in a VR setting. In any event, relocating those Bushmen based on the argument that THEY are endangering the flora and fauna is stupid beyond belief. If they're going to move these people, they should at least call it like it is -- modern progress (put that in quotes if you like) displacing an ancient culture. It may be inevitable, but we still don't have to like it.

7. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@Bion, im sorry, I don't mean to go off topic, but did his refrances to a "bushman reservation" give anyone else flashbacks to 'A brave new world'?

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Its all about the diamonds...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.