1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

BoM Cipher Game!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Eldular, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I made this little cipher game for those who like to solve clues and ciphers. The Da Vinci Code style, but pretty simple. A sort of 7 year B-Day present for all BoM members I suppose.

First off, let me state that you need to know about different kinds of ciphers, I'll be using the Julius Caesar cipher with a key (no 3 step thing). And for the numbers I'll be using a numerical cipher (1-26 numbers representing the letters of the american alphabet), and that's as much as I can say :D Also, this game is based on Felinoid's RBP History! topic, make sure you open it an other window and go to the first page, all clues relate to the original post.

The answer is the name of a regular of the BoM, once you figure it out please PM ME! Do NOT reply with the answer and spoil it for others please :D Thank you (PM me if you are also stuck somewhere).

Starting Clue:

Lonely, Heart-Broken, and Agitated, the starting date of all of this reveals the key.

Solve this to reveal the 2nd clue:

Mnyanbbnm Ghofh Date

Good luck! It isn't easy and will require some thinking, but it's not too hard. Enjoy!

PS: Last 3 letters aren't a key, but part of the regular's name.

[ June 15, 2006, 04:54: Message edited by: Eldular ]

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm not spoiling much for anyone when I say I don't understand this at all. Can you please provide instructions that a thicko like me can follow? I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

3. Eldular Gems: 10/31

Sure, do you know anything about Ciphers? (Simple ciphers, such as Julius Ceasar cipher).

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Only the bit about moving the alphabet along.

5. Eldular Gems: 10/31

Let me make an example:

The numerical cipher used there is the one where numbers represent letters in the alphabet:

For example: 01 = A, 03 = C 26 = Z ect...

For the key part, it's basicly a substitution cipher that uses a word as key.

Lets say there was this message to decipher:

Dlsjvtl Bw Tf Pwcam

And you had this word as the key: Hi

You simply have to create one strip on paper with all the letters of the american alphabet in order, and an other one with the same thing but the alphabet repeated twice, like This (zoom in to the pic, click on it). Then, place the A from the smaller strip on top of the first letter of the key word, which would be the H, like that picture showed. Now, seperate the 4 words into 2 groups of two on top of each other, and assign each one to a letter in the key, in order, like this:

---H------I

Dlsjvtl.....Bw
    ...Tf.....Pwcam

What you do, is find the D in the buttom strip and replace it with the letter right above it; W, and so on untill you get the word Welcome. Now, for the 2nd word move the A form the top strip on top of the I from the buttom strip and repeat the process with Bw word. For the 3rd word go back to H, and 4th word back to I.

Goal on my game is to find the key from the clue using the numerical substitution cipher I mentioned, then use it to decipher the cipher I posted, which will give you the last clue :D Rest is up to you.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Wait, so what is the key for your cipher? Or, is the first clue supposed to give us the key, which we then use to decipher the second clue?

EDIT: :doh: nevermind

[ June 15, 2006, 02:12: Message edited by: Saber ]

7. Harbourboy

OK - I've derived what Mnyanbbnm Ghofh Time means but I don't know what that has to do with a key and how that gives me the name of a person on SP. :confused:

8. Eldular Gems: 10/31

I had accidently typed Time insted of Date for the clue, sorry folks. Once you decipher the first clue you get the last clue which leads you to an other numerical sustitution cipher, that answer it gives you will be part of the person's name.

TIP: Hit CTRL+F while at the top of the first page of Fels' RBP History! topic and type in the results you get and hit find, first name you get is the answer :D

9. Harbourboy

Ooh, I think I've got it. My first answer was wrong (even though I was sure it had to be right), but my second attempt must be right!

10. Saber

Erm, but without another ciphered word, we can't decipher it with the new code...

11. Harbourboy

Yeah, the instructions are tricky to follow, but I believe that you don't need to decipher a second set of words. The new key IS the answer, in a manner of speaking.

12. Saber

Thats what I thought, but I couldn't figure it out, after trying a couple different ways... I had found an answer when he had left the key as TIME, instead of DATE.

EDIT: Figured it out, I think. I'm just waiting on a response from Elduar. Is anyone else doing this besides HB and me?

[ June 15, 2006, 08:08: Message edited by: Saber ]

13. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    Yeah I'm doing it....but I researched the cipher stuff myself on wiki lol :D ...I got the first part, but now I know about the mistake I'm about to work out the second bit!

EDIT: Ok, I have the second clue, but can't think how to use it. what does the "PS" of the original post mean?...its confusing me.

[ June 15, 2006, 13:55: Message edited by: Dave the Magic Turtle ]

14. Eldular Gems: 10/31

Congrats the first 3 to solve it!:

Harbourboy, Saber, and Dave the Magic Turtle

15. Harbourboy

16. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Huzzah!...We rock....like granite...

17. Saber

Haha, we're the only three who've tried, I think.

18. Harbourboy

We are clearly the intellectual elite of SP. :borg:

19. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Ah come on, if you want an intellectual match, let Eldular post the same thing with Rijndael encryption ;)

20. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    @Morg....I didn't know what the Ceaser Cipher was until Eldular posted this, so if he wants to do another more difficult one he can :D ....I'll just have Wiki teach me that one too :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.